Ideas for Business Casual wear but cool

ndnyc718

help ! so ive just accepted a job in which i have to dress business casual. i have no idea how to make business casual look good at all. can i get some ideas ? brands, where to go in nyc, online ? pre my acceptance of this biz casual job i once saw some oxfords (in steven alan) that were made of rubber rather than the usual fare, they looked pretty good, where can i get those ?

also some picture combos would be great... thanks again superfuture !

You could possibly take a look at runway collections from the likes of Veronique Branquinho, Dries Van Noten, Patrick Ervell, Yves Saint Laurent, Burberry Prorsum and Jil Sander for ideas if you wanted. Even if you can't afford those designer pieces, you could find maybe 2-3 items around sales time, and just take cues from it and try to assemble looks with cheaper pieces mixed in with more interesting designer purchases.

Plus, like constant struggle said. Get good shoes.

other brands:

band of outsiders

robert geller (certain pieces obviously)

apc

swedish brands (filippa k, acne, whyred, 5th ave shoe repair)

You can google or search the site for those things as people aren't gonna do everything for you. I'm helping because i am in a similar situation .

when i go to work i dress way different than when i hang out. i tend to spend way more on regular casual clothes than work clothes. i find it that @ work, you don't want to stand out in terms of dress while when going out, who gives a shit.

I would look into jcrew on sale and h&m to be honest. You never want to dress better than your boss, and you certainly dont want to leave a negative impression because of how you dress.

when i go to work i dress way different than when i hang out. i tend to spend way more on regular casual clothes than work clothes. i find it that @ work, you don't want to stand out in terms of dress while when going out, who gives a shit.

I would look into jcrew on sale and h&m to be honest. You never want to dress better than your boss, and you certainly dont want to leave a negative impression because of how you dress.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your news letter. I'll probably end up doing this when i start working full time. Jcrew/h&m/gap/whatever with only needing about 3-5 fun outfits would be very cost effective. I could definitely get down with jcrewing it up for the shit i'd need for my work buis cas

I would hold off redoing your business casual wardrobe until you get a better idea of what level of business casual this new job sits at.

My job is classified as business casual, but I wear jeans daily and untucked shirts.

completely agree. it really depends on how others there consider business casual, it could just mean wearing a suit without a tie or it could mean wearing khakis and a button up, which are very different..

for work I usually wear a black blazer paired with grey shirts sans tie or light weight knits, usually with dark or black trousers.

I would hold off redoing your business casual wardrobe until you get a better idea of what level of business casual this new job sits at.

Agreed. Business casual is a very flexible terms these days and taking cues from you co-workers would be best. Start off on the more conservative side: dress shirt, trousers, and dress shoes and go from there. You can create your entire wardrobe from places like Barneys Co-Op and Odin (if they dont have what pieces that are "out-there" enough for you, you probably shouldnt be wearing it at work).

"You never want to dress better than your boss, and you certainly dont want to leave a negative impression because of how you dress."

I dont necessarily find anything wrong with dressing well and by default dressing better than your boss. I also work at a place (consulting firm nonetheless) where, unless she is meeting a client, you can regularly find my boss in raggedy tees, sweatpants, socks and strappy sandals. Needless to say, topping this outfit is not hard.

It is currently 90 degrees in NYC and I am wearing a Barneys gingham pattern button down collar dress shirt, Ralph Lauren Purple Label blue linen shorts, and light brown APC suede moccasins. I think it looks good & fits with business casual but I know this wouldnt fly at JPMorgan Chase.

yeah im working for a media company...not a financial thank the lord...im going to buy a bunch of khakis and pants this weekend with some dress shirts at odin and such

Agreed. Business casual is a very flexible terms these days and taking cues from you co-workers would be best. Start off on the more conservative side: dress shirt, trousers, and dress shoes and go from there. You can create your entire wardrobe from places like Barneys Co-Op and Odin (if they dont have what pieces that are "out-there" enough for you, you probably shouldnt be wearing it at work).

"You never want to dress better than your boss, and you certainly dont want to leave a negative impression because of how you dress."

I dont necessarily find anything wrong with dressing well and by default dressing better than your boss. I also work at a place (consulting firm nonetheless) where, unless she is meeting a client, you can regularly find my boss in raggedy tees, sweatpants, socks and strappy sandals. Needless to say, topping this outfit is not hard.

It is currently 90 degrees in NYC and I am wearing a Barneys gingham pattern button down collar dress shirt, Ralph Lauren Purple Label blue linen shorts, and light brown APC suede moccasins. I think it looks good & fits with business casual but I know this wouldnt fly at JPMorgan Chase.

yeah im working for a media company...not a financial thank the lord...im going to buy a bunch of khakis and pants this weekend with some dress shirts at odin and such

I worked in media, now in financial, the dress code is a lot more lax in financial.

Good suggestions so far.

Business casual's pretty simple, but a lot of "No" rules:

No Jeans

No T Shirts

No Sneakers

As said, just have a good fit.

Right now my waywt of today is what im wearing at work.

If you're like me, you'll find that you wear a lot more t shirts on the weekend

note on shoes: I would go comfort over quality/style. Doesn't mean you have to get a shitty pair but look for softer leather and a rubber sole. Top quality dress shoes shouldn't be worn consecutive days and you don't want to fuck with shoe trees and all that just for biz casual.

two questions...

1. When are slim pants/chinos too slim in such an atmosphere?

2. Cuffs on chinos/khakis without pleats, or Cuffs only on pleated pants.

1. I think they're only too slim when they look weird w/ whatever shoes you wear (like all situations). Just don't buy them 'hipster jeans skinny' and wear as a chinos

2. I'd say not to cuff chinos due to the thickness of the cotton/material. But then again, I don't cuff anything because I think 5'9 is too short

never dress better than the boss? i think you should feel free to wear what looks good on you (within the general dress code). although if by 'better' you mean 'more formal' than the boss, then i'd agree there.

don't agree...don't tone down your style for anyone

I'll tone it down for the man cutting my check.

whats the problem with shoe trees

just put them in -----

it takes like 2 seconds

Not so much shoe trees but the fact that high end dress shoes (or any dress shoe for that matter) shouldn't be worn consecutive days, etc. etc. From personal experience I think its better getting a comfortable "beater" pair and leaving the C&J/alden/Allen Edmonds at home. If it were full suit + tie and it was that type of environment then two pairs of nice shoes would be appropriate but for just biz casual.....

If this is a laid back "business casual" then stock up on slim fitting lighter button down shirts and polos with basic patterns. Wear slim, clean (no fades) dark denim, tan and gray khakis/chinos, or gray suit pants. Linen is good for biz casual. Shirts normally untucked. You could add in some narrow ties. And yes, invest in some nice brown and black oxfords.

Other times, "business casual" can mean wear a suit without the jacket. But that's mostly only in a financial or legal setting.

chances are your boss is going to be older and more stuffy. Use your dress to differentiate yourself. Remember in today's job world, you're going to be jumping around to a variety of different places and industries. Make them remember for the both the quality of work that you deliver and the style that you posses