I'm going to watch a movie every night, and you're going to choose for me.

Leonard Leroy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leroy, homie, check this shit out, I will give you four suggestions, you must watch at least ONE.

For great justice.

3-Iron ---> gorgeously shot Korean film about a drifter who lives in other peoples homes when they leave for vacation. Quirky and beautiful with an innocence that distinguishes it from the canned and knowing sweetness that pollutes most independent American films.

My night at Maud's -----> French, 60's, pretty intense philosophical film. Very little action, all dialogue. I would recommend if you enjoy think pieces. I don't think you are allowed to make movies this smart anymore.

The Long Riders ----> Three sets of brother-actors in my favorite western. About Jesse James and the Younger brothers gang. Fucking awesome. Features one of the most intense town shootout scenes ever filmed in a western.

Kiss me Deadly ----> Watch if you like film noir, this movie is awesome. Brutal, violent, clever as hell, no redeeming characters. It's like if Cormac McCarthy made a Film Noir.

Also, hella seconds on Good Night and Good Luck. Good movie.

i re-watched a favourite the other night -- eXistenZ. capital E, capital Z. i think Leroy would enjoy.

anyone ever seen this?

existenz-cronenberg.jpg

must've been in 5th grade when i first saw this, thought it was alright

leroy, you seem serious into this whole western exploitation/camp/spoof kick, so a movie like little big man would be up your alley

i have a great copy and would be happy to burn it for you. ever see the follow up? they are all crippled in some form or fashion, i.e., blind, missing an arm.

first saw 5 deadly venoms on channel 5 saturday afternoon movie when i was 5 or 6.

i injured myself numerous times trying to climb my walls. had all the masks from a chinese import store in my neighborhood.

the dub is awesome. "poison clan rocks the world" is a classic.

I have One-Armed Swordsman, also directed by Cheng Cheh. A commentator said that it was one of the most important movies in martial-arts-film history as it spawned an entire subgenre of movies starring crippled or maimed heroes. I don't have any films involving crippled characters, though.

Would love a high-quality dub. Will be willing to make a copy of some of the films I have in exchange. Maybe Come Drink with Me or some others...? I have a lot of the recent releases from Dragon Dynasty as well.

If I had those masks, I would rock them right now. The Centipede mask was fucking nuts.

just pm me your address and i can send it.

I have One-Armed Swordsman, also directed by Cheng Cheh. A commentator said that it was one of the most important movies in martial-arts-film history as it spawned an entire subgenre of movies starring crippled or maimed heroes. I don't have any films involving crippled characters, though.

Would love a high-quality dub. Will be willing to make a copy of some of the films I have in exchange. Maybe Come Drink with Me or some others...? I have a lot of the recent releases from Dragon Dynasty as well.

If I had those masks, I would rock them right now. The Centipede mask was fucking nuts.

Hali had good suggestions (I haven't seen the western though). Oh and Rohmer still makes movies so you're allowed to be smart about the medium. A recent one he made I enjoyed was "triple agent" (no explosions despite the title).

Leroy: I’d watch:

-Straw dogs

-My dinner with André

-Do the right thing

Three ways we deal with external and internal conflict and incomprehension.

u might like?

POULTRYGEIST.jpg

Will Arbie and his friends be able to survive the wrath of the chicken-Indian zombies? Will he ever win back the heart of his beloved Wendy? Will he ever quit his dead-end job and do something worthwhile with his life? What is Carl Jr. doing to that frozen chicken? And what's with all the singing and dancing...?

I've never seen Akira. My crazy chinese ramen-with-sesame-seed-oil-eating michael jackson-impersonating-at-4am roommate had a copy on VHS and tried to make me watch it 3 times, and I never yielded.

yo i did this very same thing every weekday for the first two months of summer

that hachiko shit was based on a true story right? i swear i read about it on the akita wiki

watch easy rider so that by the time you're done you'll have ordered like 6 more perfectos

I've already watched a lot of the recommendations stated in years past, but I just finished my rewatch of Once Upon A Time In The West. Man, that movie goes fast. This year they're releasing the full, uncut version of Once Upon A Time In America and I'm eagerly awaiting that.

For my own recommendations to you guys, I would watch the restored version of

The%20Big%20Red%20One.gif

imdb: The story of a sergeant and the inner core members of his unit as they try to serve in and survive World War II.

Lee Marvin is one of the original bad asses. And this is a pretty unconventional World War II movie. For example, amongst other things, there's a shootout in a Nazi mental asylum. And for anyone who's seen it, the great, great tank delivery scene.

"Pooooo say. Poooooooo say"

Also:

Two Boston area detectives investigate a little girl's kidnapping, which ultimately turns into a crisis both professionally and personally. Based on the Dennis Lehane novel.

gone_baby_gone_poster.jpg

Also. Gone Baby Gone. Regardless of what you think of Ben Affleck, one thing I do know is that he should stick to writing and directing.

This is a modern film noir. An amazing film.

not-a-spoiler: but a vague statement on why you need to see this film

.fsafafafaf the protagonist has to make one of the hardest choices in recent memory fafafa

end not a spoiler.