Best E-commerce host/designers? Best tag makers? Best silk screeners?

Bori Mischief

I hope thats not to many questions in one topic.

I have a clothing company starting up that you will all know about soon, but for now I was wondering what everyone else uses for E-commerce and who you get your inside the shirt tags printed from and also on the side I was wondering who does your silk screening???

I pretty much have everything almost figured out except for a web site. I was looking into Aplus.net, but I dunno.

Thank you,

B$

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used www.clothinglabels4u.com for my tags. Their prices were decent and the turn around time was good. They also have low minimums....which is good for start up operations.

I do all of my own screen printing but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a local guy to print your stuff....especially if you are using plastisol inks. Just be aware that it will be much less expensive if you have your art work in the proper format. Screen printers require it to be in "vector" format. The art needs to be done in Illustrator or Corel or any vector based program. Photoshop is also ok if it is done properly. I would suggest finding a printer and getting their art specs before spending a huge amount of time doing something that you may have to re-do.

If you are doing fairly simple graphics I would try and find a small "manual" shop. Meaning they dont use automatic presses. Most automatic shops won't set up for a small run of shirts. Be prepared to pay screen charges (approx $25 per screen...per shirt), art charges (if they have to fix your art), and printing charges. For every color you have on a shirt you need a screen. Also keep in mind that it is much more difficult to print on dark shirts. Dark shirts often require an underbase and that adds an additional screen. Lastly....most screen printers also make money on the blank shirt they sell you. This is a perfectly fair practice. If you are supplying the shirts it takes away some of their profit.....thus the other charges will go up.

An example of cost on a 4 color design on a black shirt - 24 shirts

5 screen @ $25 each = $125

print charges $3 x 24 =$72

Shirt charge $4 x 24 = $96

Total before label and hang tag is approx. $293...or $12.20 each.

Obviously if you are printing a one color design on a light shirt the cost comes down significantly because you only need one screen.

If you are printing larger numbers the cost also comes down, per unit, becaue you only pay the screen charges once. Whether it is for 24 shirts or 2,400 shirts.

Anyway.....good luck with your project. If you have other questions feel free to PM me.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

Do your own legwork you moron. You're the exact reason there are 4 billion shitty clothing labels out there right now. You really think labels are just going to divulge the secrets they spent years learning to some putz who poses a question on a messageboard?

P.S. can't wait to hear about your label, which i'm sure we'll be hearing a lot about soon! Keep us posted!

haha, everyone and their cousin has a clothing company right now..

the market is WAY over saturated, you aren't going to do anything creative beacuse you're asking for advice on SUPERFUTURE, and you aren't willing to invest the time to search yourself.

best of luck with that.. can't wait to see you peddle your shirts on ebay because noone is buying and you don't know the first thing about starting a clothing company.

just for reference, I started with 6 pieces total, and a smile on my face.

Quote:

Do your own legwork you moron. You're the exact reason there are 4 billion shitty clothing labels out there right now. You really think labels are just going to divulge the secrets they spent years learning to some putz who poses a question on a messageboard?

P.S. can't wait to hear about your label, which i'm sure we'll be hearing a lot about soon! Keep us posted!

--- Original message by Toronthoe on Oct 24, 2005 08:05 AM

bitter much? whats going on in your life thats causing this anger? I do hope you get things sorted out.

best,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I have some friends who have screen printing businesses so I'll have little better luck money wise unless they decide to be greedy and money hungry. I was going to do my own silk screening, but I just did a run of 40 shirts and realized it would be a lot easier to just kick back and give all the work to someone else.

www.clothinglabel4u.com seems like a pretty good place I'll look more into them. I'm not sure yet if I want woven or printed labels.

I'll be sure to PM you if I have more questions thank you very much

Thanks for taking the time to respond numerous times to my thread.

My clothing co. will be dropping around mid December. I'll keep you posted on the website once its done being built. If you don't feel like going to the site just keep your eyes posted on Mtv... wink wink.

I have done all of my own legwork just wondered what others were doing.

Also thanks for taking the time to post a 4 year old picture of me its super flattering that someone would waste time in their day to do that. You are now a true friend.

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I have some friends who have screen printing businesses so I'll have little better luck money wise unless they decide to be greedy and money hungry. I was going to do my own silk screening, but I just did a run of 40 shirts and realized it would be a lot easier to just kick back and give all the work to someone else.

www.clothinglabel4u.com seems like a pretty good place I'll look more into them. I'm not sure yet if I want woven or printed labels.

I'll be sure to PM you if I have more questions thank you very much

--- Original message by Bori Mischief on Oct 24, 2005 12:50 PM

Hey man, I would def go for woven's if you can. I have seen alot of printed labels wear out after a year or so, but then again some last quite well. Woven's are def the don though. Good luck bro!

Quote:

I was going to do my own silk screening, but I just did a run of 40 shirts and realized it would be a lot easier to just kick back and give all the work to someone else.

and this is why we have a gazillion shitty labels around right now.

Edited by adsurgo on Oct 24, 2005 at 01:25 PM

Quote:

Its not wise to speak without knowledge. I hope everything is going good for you.

--- Original message by Bori Mischief on Oct 24, 2005 02:42 PM

true. you should probably be saying that.

Edited by adsurgo on Oct 24, 2005 at 03:11 PM

Quote:

I'm sure those brands are gone for more reason than just their labels. I can't tell if woven just looks cheap and out dated or if printed just looked cheap haha. All the decisions to make are driving me crazy!!!

Thanks for your input. I hope everything is going good for you in New Zealand.

--- Original message by Bori Mischief on Oct 24, 2005 01:24 PM

Hey Boris. There are quite a few different varieties of woven labels, you should pick up some samples maybe and check them out and see which finishes you like the best. Just my opinion, it's good to get quotes too.

NZ is good today, a sunny spring day. About 18 degrees.....nice

Quote:
Quote:

I was going to do my own silk screening, but I just did a run of 40 shirts and realized it would be a lot easier to just kick back and give all the work to someone else.

--- Original message by adsurgo on Oct 24, 2005 01:25 PM

are you kidding me? do you think most designers are sitting in their studios alone sewing all their clothes and silk-screening everything themselves?

Quote:

Thank you very much I wish all the best for you.

I don't really pay attention to little message board pranksters they don't really know whats going on or who I'm working with or what I'm all about.

--- Original message by Bori Mischief on Oct 24, 2005 04:14 PM

OF COURSE NOT, YOU'RE A FUCKING FILMIST..

filmist.

filmist.

I've been crafting clothing for 5 years. In the time I've put into my company I've seen hundreds come and go. hope your stolen skateboard fashion whatever goes great. (putting skateboard in the name is your first HUGE flaw.)

keep it up, filmist.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by adsurgo on Oct 24, 2005 01:25 PM

are you kidding me? do you think most designers are sitting in their studios alone sewing all their clothes and silk-screening everything themselves?

--- Original message by shoegal on Oct 24, 2005 04:47 PM

no, DESIGNERS dont. but if the designer runs and has an operating COMPANY their shit is made by them. do you think any company from prada to neighborhood to great china wall to marc jacobs to whoever else buy american apparel shirts from a 3rd party then pay a 4th party to print them? hell no. not even smaller companies with decent experience do that. and by the way this guy is coming off he has alot of experience and know how. but i doubt that anyway.

Songangel you know nothing about me or my company.

I actually don't do film I make music videos for bands.

My company doesn't have the words: stolen, skateboard or fashion in it.

I have been doing fashion for the past 6 years also crafting clothing. I have finally saved up enough money and made the right connections to start something good and I am proud of it.

You can come on a message board and talk all the shit you want it has no effect especially when you don't have the knowledge of what you are talking about. My Myspace profile lists nothing about the company I am starting. In about a month I'll link you to my company website and then you can talk all the shit you want I good or bad critisism is always good to hear to know what to improve or what to keep the same.

Thank you.

I hope your company is a success.