Selling out?

digital_denim

I know a lot of us like our clothing because of the design and fit, but I think it also has to do with the exclusivesness of it.

So when does a brand turn you off? as far as where you can get them, because you could see uncle Bob wearing the same jeans as you next month.

In the States?

American Rag?

Urban Outfitters?

Macy's?

Walmart?

Costco?

For me, it's not at all about exclusivity. It's about whether or not it fits. Not in some sort of utilitarian sense, but if I can rock it, feel comfortable in it, and feel like I look absolutely fucking awesome in it, then there's no reason why it wouldn't be in my closet or in my dresser. I own tons of shit from Target, man- and it wears just as fine as stuff I've paid ten times as much for, simply because I took the time to try it on, look at myself in the mirror, and either give myself a thumbs up or vomit.

Edited by onemancult on Oct 23, 2005 at 06:36 PM

Stussy went through a sellout stage way back. I sold the stuff

in the late 80's and we stopped carrying them cuz they went to dept

stores. It happens all the time especially in the surf industry

some come back others are to far gone and create sub-brands

use their same resources and contacts and boom their back on

the seen. Just Biz.

I don't mind Macys but I do mind the chains that are trend whores

that buy brands for one season and drop them once it's not red hot

and don't try to build a long term relationship with the small guys.

Granted if the next seasons product is crap then oh well. Just Biz

icon_smile.gif

It doesn't matter to me who sells them as long as they sell them. I like to wear jeans that are tight at the bottoms, which have been the hardest jeans to find for a while. As long as they are low and tight and the bottom the brand or who sells them doesnt matter. All that matters is that you like what you wear and not care who else is wearing it or what anyone thinks.

Quote:

there is alot of hate on simple brands like gap and banana republic, but i enjoy gap. they have warm sweaters. and banana has very comfortable zip ups

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Oct 23, 2005 06:39 PM

just admit you like the brands because you think the clothes are nice. this is not a direct stab at you but so many people that are self concious about their clothes say they wear them because they are "warm" or "comfortable". what the fuck is up with that?

doesn't matter what you wear, but how you wear it. but, yeah, i'll admit that i typically don't buy things from urban outfitters, macy's, etc. because, i don't want to wear what most of my target demographic, whatever that may be, will be wearing. for basic stuff, on the other hand, provided that they fit right, i'll shop anywhere. and even for basic items, i'd much rather be shopping at gap than urban outfitters.

i think it becomes more a question of if you can still respect the brand. are they compromising their voice or their quality?

for instance when people start to worship LRG like crazy that just a no no.

or when like kids think vondutch is cool, they start wear top to bottom von dutch

same goes to juicy

or when u take your boy to a sample sale, he just buys every thing he is going to wear in one year in one day.

Quote:
Quote: Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger

Really those two together with ben sherman, dkny, etc are pretty crappy when you consider their quality for the retail you pay.

my free ben sherman oxford even has crooked sewing on the collar and its 20% polyester..uggh..but then again it was a giveaway at some event

Edited by DJ_Flame on Oct 23, 2005 at 10:07 PM

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Oct 23, 2005 10:06 PM

Hrm, I never knew that. I've started liking Ben Sherman stuff recently. Who would you say does better quality button downs for a similar price?

Quote: Hrm, I never knew that. I've started liking Ben Sherman stuff recently. Who would you say does better quality button downs for a similar price?

For a $80-100 range button down, i like Ike Behar's slimmer fits. they make dressier shirts, but wearing it casually look fine too

anyone remember stussy sista? Stussy in Australia is totally different from the stuff in the US and Japan too, more surf oriented and shitter quality. its a licence, not the brand proper. same with volcom in indonesia.

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.giflol... lucky if you know where to look you can still get real Stussy in Sydney tho. Supply sometimes has it in and superposition has a good range usually.

dont forget but stussy started out as a surf brand

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Oct 25, 2005 at 03:25 AM

It's usually the people that are wearing the clothes that I can't stand.

e.g. Wannabes holding Gucci handbags in a smug manner

Guys who wear head to toe Bape whilst thinking it's cool (um, it's not cool when you're wearing all the horrible items together!)

Juicy couture - I want to kill the team that created such a blighting sight for many

This is all random.......

i know a lot of people have said they dont care where its from, as long as it fits well and is good quality....but with that aside, i would much rather support my local boutique shops than something corporate.....same goes for music shopping, etc.....not only is the selection of unique items better, but the service is usually more helpful....

selling out.....department stores for sure - like some people said, look at how stussy, vision street wear, etc. lost street cred back in the day.....but urban, i dont think its the same ballpark....because most of the smaller lines they carry are a higher price point, you dont see frat-dog frank sporting it like he sports the cheesy urban label tees.....

but at the same time, if urban carries a smaller line i think local boutique shops would lose interest in said labels.....

www.hecklewood.com