April 77 F/W 08-09

i just realized that i love this collection so much more because it grapples with an aesthetic issue/idea i have personally been caught up with recently

it is really interesting how a77 incorporates both mod/skin details (like the bleached/acid washed items, the sta prest pants, some of the outerwear, and the choices of footwear and cuff lengths etc) and also rock/americana pieces (like the rider jacket and buffalo check shirts, although the look was much more prevalent in the last collection). the two subcultures were originally juxtaposed and at odds with one another; fascinating how the diffusion of style and passage of time has created a sort of singular rebellion counterculture look

i just realized that i love this collection so much more because it grapples with an aesthetic issue/idea i have personally been caught up with recently

it is really interesting how a77 incorporates both mod/skin details (like the bleached/acid washed items, the sta prest pants, some of the outerwear, and the choices of footwear and cuff lengths etc) and also rock/americana pieces (like the rider jacket and buffalo check shirts, although the look was much more prevalent in the last collection). the two subcultures were originally juxtaposed and at odds with one another; fascinating how the diffusion of style and passage of time has created a sort of singular rebellion counterculture look

To the second part of this: somewhat -

Original Mod/Rudeboy fashion was not so much a stark juxtaposition as you think - if you look, the only real clothing choices that could be considered "different" between American and British culture was the tailoring of the suits. Mod fashions was both working class and highly informed by a sense of propriety in fashion choices (within a limited spectrum). American's were wearing Sta-Prest pants the same as Mods, its just that Mods adopted and gave a severe and adult look a much more youthful attitude because of their surroundings and historical context. American adults from the early 60's were wearing Sta-Prest and Linen Buttondowns w/ 2-button jackets, they just didn't have the same youth culture.

Skinheads appeared later as an even more working class adaptation of the Mod approach, but rather than looking at adult fashions in America and making them younger, they took youth fashions and made them more suited to their working class aesthetic. They also borrowed from Rudeboy fashions, but incorporated the baseline and non-flamboyant pieces that Greasers/Rockers also wore - motorcycle boots, jeans, leather bombers, etc.

April77 incorporates all the influences of Mod, Skin, Rudeboy, pre- and post-punk, and Rocker fashions. Not to state the obvious, but the name is a reference to the Mod revival of the late 70's where all the fashions were rehashed.

Some of this stuff is great,

especially since it's so wearable.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who's closet

is mostly white, black, and gray.

I mean,

why wear any other colours?

'CAUSE lT"S WILD PLAYED

ALSO

YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE 15 AND DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW COLORS FUNCTION

maybe

yo let's start a sufu multicultural(we'll call it three tone) ska band...seriously...jeepster on the keys with sunglasses and a bowler, diamonds backup vocals, feel me?

mayne, I haven't played piano in like.. 5 years

I'm gonna go look up a piano tab for "Ghost Town"

The collection is already available in Paris' shop.

Did you see prices on them when you went? I just spoke to someone at the shop and he said the pieces in the store are only samples, so the collection won't be available until after the holidays (around Aug 18).

Yeah was in the paris shop yesterday and they had quite a bit of the new collection up. Bought a pair jeans from the previous collection tho, the black snow shit reminded me to much of american apparel jeans, so I got a pair of dictators heart attack in black black. I might sell em tho if anyone's interested. PM me, they are size 30. word to your mothers.

powerviolence- you probably don't want to waste your money on that coat. You won't be able to imagine how poorly it's made and how terrible it feels. This is the case with all A77 coats.

That's what I have, from three seasons ago. I can't imagine their long coats to be any better at all. Most poorly made garment I own. Looks and fits great, construction leaves a lot to be desired.

That's what I have, from three seasons ago. I can't imagine their long coats to be any better at all. Most poorly made garment I own. Looks and fits great, construction leaves a lot to be desired.

that's bad news. really wanted to buy some of that stuff...

They might have changed their tune, but I doubt it. Cheap materials, cheap construction. I would, however, reiterate, that it does look so good once you take a step back. Certainly no Buzz Rickson.

they sure have covered a lot of ground with the sampling of british sub-cultures.

mod, teds, rude boys, skins, northern soul, JATMC...

next S/S will be stone roses influence with baggies, pollack splatter pain, and XL striped tees. pics of models doing the ian brown dance.

but i will cop.

So the falls stuff will be released in two shipments. First, in mid-August is the "Records" collection, which will be the classic denim, the new Chelseas, all the new tees, the double-breasted, single-button jacket (Psychokiller), and one of the cardigans. The rest of "We Lived our Lives in Black" will be released by October.

From what I could tell, the new patches are softer, but not much different. The tops were pretty good in construction, with the jacket being fantastically well-cut. Quality was about 7 out of 10.