Skinny jeans - a sartorial dilemma

Tyler

Yes I know - there are copious threads about Dior jeans/skinny jeans etc etc but I would like to know what you guys and gairls wear with skinny jeans rather than about the jeans themselves.

I have just invested in a new pair of Dior jeans and I love 'em but you can't wear the tops and shirts that you might wear with a more relaxed fitting jean - unless you want to look like an inverted pear.

So, what do you wear with 'em? Skinny shirts? If so - by who? Skinny tops - a bit gay no? Skinny t-shirts - fine fine but it's winter soon.

Ignore shoes - we all know that converse etc etc are best to shuffle about in but it's the top half that interests me.

Or is this the dullest topic in the world. Not sure really...

No no - not worried about looking gay! Just interested to know if anyone had any cool stuff they'd seen that would go well with skinny jeans. Fitted shirts are great but harder to come by than you might think. I don't want anything with rips and patches and logos - just plain and well fitted.

Ho hum...

Fitted but not tight fit shirts. It actually depends on your upper body. If you're like muscular and wear a tight fit shirt, then that would look gay. If you're heroin thin, like the Dior models, you have nothing to worry about and you can even wear it a bit loose. That's IMO.

Quote:

No no - not worried about looking gay! Just interested to know if anyone had any cool stuff they'd seen that would go well with skinny jeans. Fitted shirts are great but harder to come by than you might think. I don't want anything with rips and patches and logos - just plain and well fitted.

Ho hum...

--- Original message by Tyler on Oct 18, 2005 08:15 AM

Ah, ha... well, the brands that make the best skinny jeans tend to make tops that go with them. Dior's tops look great, but are of course very expensive. American Apparel shirts are very fitted and a small would look great matched with a pair of skinny jeans... Nice Collective shirts are also fitted and the small is quite small (about 17" across the chest) so you might want to look into those.

try sticking with the long silhouette, i.e. instead of a "tight t-shirt," try something fitted that goes down a bit farther than you would normally wear. also, layering is key. a longish v neck t-shirt with a nicely fitted zip up hoodie and a jacket would look great for example. try tightly fitted button up cardigans too. I've found that you actually can usually pull off tops that are a bit baggy (more droopy, I guess) with skinny jeans. gotta experiment.

well then, wear a scarf . I wear vnecks pretty frequently during autumn at least. they're easy to layer with. you can pair it with a longsleeved shirt underneath, or even another tshirt. my point was just to try out layering, but yeah, in the winter, it might not be the most practical thing.

Guest Fade to Black

i don't think you necessarily need to adhere to the rule of wearing skin tight tops with skinny jeans...most of the tops I wear w/ my DH jeans are still slim but slightly relaxed...have a couple Y's for Men shirts that aren't exactly baggy, but are more relaxed and have a nice slight drape and I find those go well too...sometimes I even wear my black Y's shirt that is cut slightly oversize, and wearing it w/ a Y's blazer over it to match the raw denim jeans also looks good...very Yohji Yamamoto S/S 05 look. Long tops are also good w/ this look, as seen in the presentations of Undercover and Raf Simons.

I agree with skin tight tops not looking good with skinny jeans.

I really like this Dior Homme sweatshirt from S/S 05 but I did not see it in stores (I should have asked because I really really wanted it, but it's too late now unless one pops up on ebay...)

00029m.jpg

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

I agree with skin tight tops not looking good with skinny jeans.

I really like this Dior Homme sweatshirt from S/S 05 but I did not see it in stores (I should have asked because I really really wanted it, but it's too late now unless one pops up on ebay...)

00029m.jpg

--- Original message by 134 on Oct 18, 2005 11:10 AM

Yeah, this pic is a good example of what I meant by pairing more drapey tops w/ skinny pants...that's a cool sweatshirt, I like the elongated sleeve, very cool in a nonchalant way. I have never seen that item in stores, either.

I'm not sure which Y-3 sweatshirt you are talking about... I'm not really a fan of that brand because of the gigantic Y-3 printed on all their stuff, however the cuts are nice.

Y-3 has a basic Sweatshirt out this season (Y-3 printed on back right) for $200. Dior Homme also has a really nice basic Sweatshirt (available with or without sleeves, but I think we all want sleeves) for around $250.

I'd also like to add that I have their eagle print t-shirt (2 eagles on chest) for sale. I paid $155 USD + 8% tax for it. It still has the tags, plastic bag folded up in, and receipt if anyone is interested. It's a size M in brown (eagles are in black). I sold it on Ebay for $170 shortly after buying it to some guy in South Korea but he never emailed me after the auction ended...

I have other stuff for sale but I need to get a digital camera.

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

I'm not sure which Y-3 sweatshirt you are talking about... I'm not really a fan of that brand because of the gigantic Y-3 printed on all their stuff, however the cuts are nice.

Y-3 has a basic Sweatshirt out this season (Y-3 printed on back right) for $200. Dior Homme also has a really nice basic Sweatshirt (available with or without sleeves, but I think we all want sleeves) for around $250.

I'd also like to add that I have their eagle print t-shirt (2 eagles on chest) for sale. I paid $155 USD + 8% tax for it. It still has the tags, plastic bag folded up in, and receipt if anyone is interested. It's a size M in brown (eagles are in black). I sold it on Ebay for $170 shortly after buying it to some guy in South Korea but he never emailed me after the auction ended...

I have other stuff for sale but I need to get a digital camera.

--- Original message by 134 on Oct 18, 2005 11:32 AM

??? I'm not sure if the first part of the post was a response to me, but I wasn't talkin about Y-3...I meant Y's as in Yohji Yamamoto's diffusion collection, not the athletic wear subdivision. Never seen sweatshirts from Y's, i was mostly referring to button down shirts.

I'm heroin model thin and I wear all my shit slim. Not skin fucking tight but slim for sure. A.P.C. New Standards for example.

Anyway... Everything I buy I buy in a size large. Then I break out the sewing machine and make it fitted. I can't wear smalls and mediums because I'm tall, like six feet, and I dont like to rock shit emo short (or too emo tight) for that matter.

Whatever.

http://www.tragicbliss.com

Let's settle this!

Baggy clothes:

00017m.jpg

Baggy on top, fitted on bottom:

00029m.jpg

Tight clothes:

00010m.jpg

I think all three of these combinations work. There really are no rules on how to approach a corpse like body.

TragicBliss, that sounds awsome. I wish I had sewing skills like that! The main problem for me with buying shirts is them being too tight in the shoulders (because the rest of my body is so thin).

Edited by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 at 07:37 PM

Quote:

I'm heroin model thin and I wear all my shit slim. Not skin fucking tight but slim for sure. A.P.C. New Standards for example.

Anyway... Everything I buy I buy in a size large. Then I break out the sewing machine and make it fitted. I can't wear smalls and mediums because I'm tall, like six feet, and I dont like to rock shit emo short (or too emo tight) for that matter.

Whatever.

--- Original message by TragicBliss on Oct 19, 2005 06:55 PM

if you dont mind me asking... how much do you weigh?

Guest Fade to Black

ah 134, I have the opposite problem, I have the biggest problem when buying shirts and jackets because I'm so slim and lacking shoulders that I can't carry a lot of pieces, and can't buy small sizes due to my height and the fact i don't like wearing things that go to the belly button. My shoulders are so narrow that a lot of non-fitted stuff i wear ends up dragging to the back, and this is the worst with jackets for me...i'm 6'3 and 155 lbs.

Quote: if you dont mind me asking... how much do you weigh?

I'm 6'0" tall and depending on what I eat / how much I skate in a week my weight fluctuates between 145 -155lbs. No joke.

Like if I hardly skate and I eat McDonalds, Alberto's and El Taco Nazo all week I'll be pushing 155lbs fa'sho.

http://www.tragicbliss.com

Edited by TragicBliss on Oct 19, 2005 at 08:41 PM

im 5'8" 120 and have trouble finding GUYS pants that fit me well. I like tight pants with No low crotch to make me look taller and legs longer. I also wear tight tops, wearing anything wide makes me look ridiculous and unproportional.

what do you guys think about these looks on guys <6 feet tall?

Quote:

im 5'8" 120 and have trouble finding GUYS pants that fit me well. I like tight pants with No low crotch to make me look taller and legs longer. I also wear tight tops, wearing anything wide makes me look ridiculous and unproportional.

--- Original message by colin on Oct 19, 2005 08:48 PM

I'm also the same size, and finding tops can be a real pain sometimes. I know exactly what you mean about wearing anything wide. Even some smalls are too wide for me. I don't think I'd be able to pull off the longer, drapey slim shirt either since I'm too short for it.

Edited by Dangydang on Oct 19, 2005 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by colin on Oct 19, 2005 08:48 PM

I'm also the same size, and finding tops can be a real pain sometimes. I know exactly what you mean about wearing anything wide. Even some smalls are too wide for me. I don't think I'd be able to pull off the longer, drapey slim shirt either since I'm too short for it.

Edited by Dangydang on Oct 19, 2005 at 10:00 PM

--- Original message by Dangydang on Oct 19, 2005 09:59 PM

true. I never wear long shirts, they do not work well on me. Pretty much all smalls are too big for me, t-shirts especially. T-shirts I usually hit up e-bay and go vintage. Some jackets, like g-star run smaller so I can do some smalls. otherwise jeans are a pain. oh well

i have a similar problem 5/8 120 lbs. and most small sizes are big on me, for shirts try nike polos they run small after a few washes, H/M has some small sized shirts. for jeans apc and if you can find it, really small ass levi's. diesel makes a few small sized jeans, like the fanker but other then that the diesels i own are pretty baggy

chwa?