Good tailor in nyc?

nf one

yo yo ny heads help me out. im going to get some alterations done tomorrow and if i dont hear anything else im gonna hit either stanton or a place ive heard good things about on rivington.

already read the death out of all the old threads and styleforum threads but theirs are also a bit outdated and frankly im looking for some pretty basic stuff and dont have the funds to afford most of their recommendations

let a neeka knooo

I've been going to Felix Tailor bet. Riv and Ludlow. If you aint got mad funds this is the place to be for basics. Ex. crotch repair: Staton Tailor=$20, Felix=$5. If you come early, you'll get it before sunset, just enough time to queue up for Dark Knight or buy a pastrami at Kat'z deli or see Moby by Teanie or buy pink tights at American Apparel for your evening yoga class.

hmm some good recs, i think ill stop by felix and let them have a go at one of my shirts. while wearing my pink tite in line for dark night while saying watup to moby of course

ive also heard jack was good but that because of that nymag article he inflated both his prices and his attitude

chris french will have to wait till i get a job, i cant afford to be eco friendly :(

so i went to felix around 4:00 today, brought him 3 shirts to work on, simple stuff but a good amount of work on each, he gave me a really fair price and said i could have them whenever i wanted, i told him to take his time and he said it would be good by tomorrow afternoon. as long as they aren't completely fucked i have a feeling ill be returning next week with more stuff

I've recently had some shirts tailored at Stanton...first job was 8 and took about 1.5 weeks...$10 a pop for full on slimming down. Getting my 2nd batch of shirts tomorrow morning (took a week).

So far so good. But shit...Peppino? On the upper east? THat's a lot closer to where I call home...might have to check that out.

• 2 months later...

nf one, what was your assessment of felix?

Ramon's on Mott just above Houston gets a lot of play- but to me, not worth it. Simple jobs that are hard to mess up (like hemming pants) can be done cheaper elsewhere (he charges $17) and he is always too rushed to do more difficult jobs correctly.

I took a pair of pants there to get slimmed and tapered and it literally took more than 4 visits and I am still not happy (he only charged me once).

Plus, and I am going out on a limb here, but I feel it is hard to communicate your idea of the intended outcome when: 1) The tailor is an industry outsider and less privy to diverse tastes; and 2) Doesn't speak the best English.

I like Ghost Tailor on W. 27th. She comes from the industry, runs a small non-store front on appointment only, and is a native English speaker. Prices are higher ($25 for a hem) so I wouldnt go to her for simple jobs like that, but for things like slimming down pants ($50) or working with my more expensive pieces I have no problem going to her.

heB —

What does that mean full on slimming down? Did he have to mess with the shoulders?

I have a toggle coat that I'm tempted to get slimmed. It's wool, really cool still, but it's a little oversized. I read about that place that Esquire recommended (HK Jack), but I'd like to hear other opinions and if he's worth it.

Same with felix. How about it nf?

Ignacio's119 E 60th Street

I bought a suit from Saks and the in-house tailors would not slim out the arms so the SA sent me to Ignacio's. No problems at all and quick turnaround. Very satisfied with service. This is also the same tailors in which the Dior Homme boutique sends their customers.

i will second everyone's votes for stanton tailor - pablo is the only person i trust with my shirts and denim hem jobs. because i'm stuck between sizes often, i always size up and bring shirts to him to taper (he'll bring in the sides and the sleeves too) and all of them have ended up perfect for me.