great bands that went sour; better to burn out than to fade away

U2 (I never really followed this band, never owned an album, except Rattle & Hum [briefly on cassette, purely by accident]); I reckon they soured sometime at the end of the 1980s.

The Cure. A shame that they are judged on their post-Wish output by young'uns.

Genesis. Of course, Peter Gabriel Genesis was the shit. I actually like some of the early part of Phil Collins' vocal tenure but yeah, "i can't dance" was the nail in the coffin.

Pink Floyd. Perfect fucking band until Barrett dropped out.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Against Me!

Reinventing Axl Rose was hailed as one of the best punk albums in years, and with the release of The Eternal Cowboy, they were considered the saviors of punk. Tom Gabel's growling snarl mixed with their raw and fast sound was so new and refreshing. Their blend of folk and punk, along with their stunning acoustic albums made them on of the most exciting bands out there. And then they signed to Fat Wreck, put out a documentary about how major labels were on their dicks, released the underwhelming Searching For A Former Clarity, had the balls to sign to Sire, a major label.. and then released the pathetic and watered down New Wave. From anarchist folk rock saviors to major label stadium rock and rollers in a short span of a few years.

Pink Floyd. Perfect fucking band until Barrett dropped out.

Cmon. You really think that Piper was the only good album? Now if you want to argue about 1986 or so and after that....

TSOL

They used to be awesome. Then they started playing hair metal

NOFX

good til the mid 90s

Basically any punk band that lasted more than 6 years

am i the only one who will cop to liking (almost all of) achtung, and even zooropa?

also, i'll even stick up for post-waters, ez-listening gilmour floyd...although i don't blame people for thinking it sucks

i have a sort of love/hate thing with the wall, and i actually think the final cut is a great record

agree 100% re: the cure

Guest jmatsu

circle jerks. after groupsex, shit sucked.

suicidal tendencies got wack pretty quick. think it had to do with mike's weight probs.

the cinematic orchestra...after they used rappers.

The only other Floyd album I will sometimes revisit is Meddle.

The hell you chatting about?

Animals and Wish You Were Here is the most perfect symbiotic pair of albums ever released (yes, including Kid A and Amnesiac). Albums post 1979 were pretty poo, but even then they played some outstanding stadium shows.

It's about due time that the American Apparel generation start pretending to like 1970s Floyd, which sucks.

U2 (I never really followed this band, never owned an album, except Rattle & Hum [briefly on cassette, purely by accident]); I reckon they soured sometime at the end of the 1980s.
am i the only one who will cop to liking (almost all of) achtung, and even zooropa?

Achtung may be their best album.

Wu Tang (as a group) - after Enter 36 Chambers

The Roots - after Things Fall Apart

Public Enemy - anything but "Its Takes a Nation of Millions"

Choice cuts by both Wu-Tang and The Roots after those albums you listed, but yeah, the albums afterward as a whole weren't cohesive or consistent.

What about Fear of a Black Planet?

The hell you chatting about?

Animals and Wish You Were Here is the most perfect symbiotic pair of albums ever released (yes, including Kid A and Amnesiac). Albums post 1979 were pretty poo, but even then they played some outstanding stadium shows.

It's about due time that the American Apparel generation start pretending to like 1970s Floyd, which sucks.

Hate Pink Floyd in general, even Dark Side, but I have this ridiculous soft spot for Wish You Were Here. Title track gets me every time, especially the line "Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

weezer - green album........

I've mediated on this a great deal. I think Pinkerton is one of the best pop albums of the 90s. Unfortunately, it was a critical and commercial failure when it was released--it was voted the second-worst album of 1996 by a readers' poll in Rolling Stone. Rivers Cuomo is a particularly sensitive soul, and essentially he shut himself from the outside world for a few years. In 2000, he released Weezer (Green). It was a good album, but it lacked the quirkiness and the heartfelt earnestness that made the first two albums so good. What happened was that Cuomo, in order to make his work impervious to criticism and also to detach himself from his work, began writing catchy, impersonal songs that were fun to listen to but that were ultimately depthless. He said in an interview that he discovered the formula for the perfect pop song and that he composed all his songs according to this formula. The results are Weezer (Green) and Maladroit--two fine albums that were ultimately good but not great. (Personally, whenever I listen to either, I just want to listen to Weezer (Blue) and Pinkerton.) At this time, Pinkerton began receiving tons of critical acclaim after the fact, with Weezer being hailed as arguably the best of the post-Nirvana American bands. But since Cuomo buried whatever it was that compelled him to write Weezer (Blue) and Pinkerton, it was gone forever. He tried to recapture it by hiring Rick Rubin as a producer, and the result was the godawful Make Believe, with its insincere honesty and its overwrought attempts at earnestness. Worst of all, the music wasn't even good. Cuomo has seemed to accept who he is now--an aging, literate, and sensitive hipster who's still capable of churning out good pop songs--but it's a goddamn shame that whatever he had in 1996 was gone forever, like ethanol exposed to air, by 2000.

Public Enemy - anything but "Its Takes a Nation of Millions"

:confused: :confused: :confused:

fear of a black planet was arguably better

and i think apocalypse '91 was classic status, although i realize that's a minority position

either way, you can't knock the debut; i think you're way off here

the stones...a bigger bang was unlistenable

oh yeah, how could i forget the quintessential 'their old stuff was better' band

a lot of people will tell you that some girls was the last gasp, but i think despite some great songs it's an overrated and inconsistent record...black and blue and only rock 'n roll sucked too, so that takes us all the way back to goat's head soup- which, conversely, is way underrated, but nowhere near as good as exile...so basically they fell off circa '73...

This will always result in people arguing about personal preference...but I'll go on record to say Black Flag - post-My War...although I blame it more on the shitty new age (80's) engineer work, rather than musical direction (at least they didn't go the Crossover route like damn near every other first wave hardcore band)...it's like they just discovered the magic of reverb/echo/delay...and never stopped running with it. I do like Slip It In though.