supermeatheads

kunk75

but that age old idea of "more reps, less weight" is pretty much true to gain strength..

i think you may have that backwards.

Strength is best gained by working as close to your one rep max as possible, without going over. Failing on a rep is just going to burn you the fuck out. Work in singles, doubles, and triples on your main lifts.

Since you also including "functional strength" in there, look into some GPP and kettlebell training, even if only to use on off days as active recovery. Pull sleds, flip tires, chop wood, hit a tire with a sledge, clean and press logs, etc. That kind of stuff requires either your own set up or a gym with the right equipment and attitude though.

Another thing to remember when training for strength is to contract your muscles as powerfully as possible on each rep. Even if the weight is submaximal, treat it as if it was your one rep max. Move the bar with speed.

Two questions for all you supermeatheads,

1.) Are there any good articles about strength vs. mass out there? I'd like to gain functional strength without adding too much mass. There has to be more to it than the old "more reps, less weight" mantra.

2.) Can anyone recommend some intermediate/advanced ab/core exercises that I can do with little or no equipment? Something a little more interesting than doing crunches and leg lifts over and over again. Opinions on ab wheels?

diet,diet,diet...also try plyometric exercises...all core.ive done these exercises plus more with light weights....this is what makes your strong and also gives you stamina and conditioning. as you go through these exercises.....do a max of full hour minimal rest 15 mins with 30 sec rest time.

for basic try this.

as you advance...

as for the abs...just do the basics ...but......dont rest tooo long...rest 7 seconds in between sets. good luck bro. you will be lean in no time.

my right arm (specifically the bicep) tends to tighten up frequently when i work out. Its not just when i work my arms out, but if i do chest, shoulders or back. It gets to the point where it seems i might do damage if i continue working out with it....

anyone know what gives?

I like 100% Isolates. What's all the hype around ON 100% gold standard? I have tried many different brands, and ON is easily the most watery whey I've ever had. I only drink whey mixed with water (sometimes oats too) unless I'm using it for an on the go meal, then I'll add milk/bananas/oats.

I have a 10lb bag on "double rich" chocolate. They have a lot of nerve calling it double rich...

All The Whey chocolate mint is easily the best tasting out there. I highly reccomend it.

Last set, last rep.

Using one of those seated row machines or w/e

Only pulling 50kg, right hand loses grip. Left hand is still pulling, body tries to comensate by leaning forward.

I've twanged the left side of my back. Now my neck hurts like hell when I lean or look upwards and left.

Happened to me awhile ago sort of when I was doing the neck machine.

Only thing I could do was occasionally stretch by staring at my armpits and resting it out. :(

Last set, last rep.

Using one of those seated row machines or w/e

Only pulling 50kg, right hand loses grip. Left hand is still pulling, body tries to comensate by leaning forward.

I've twanged the left side of my back. Now my neck hurts like hell when I lean or look upwards and left.

like 2 months ago i was warming up for shrugs with dumbbells, i did the exact same shit pulling a puny 50lb weight off the rack with my left arm and upper back. felt a small pinch in my neck and ignored it and finished all my heavier sets... later that day and for the next 7-10 days i was unable to turn my neck left without extreme pain, i was scared i did something awful to myself so went to the ER, it was just muscle strain, no big deal. just scary stuff because its the neck.

like the poster above said, just give your upper back/neck/arm whatever to fully recover and maybe try applying heat or ice? (i didnt do this, im not really sure which would be best)

good luck

^^^I've had the same injury before. Mine wasn't from rows, but mainly from deadlifting all the time w/ sumo stance. it put a lot of strain on my trapezius which pulled at muscles in my neck. The first time it occurred it was the worst: my neck was super stiff and i'd have random spasms go off (looked really cool in class...(100)). Went to the doctor and he described what was going on. just said i needed to stop lifting for a while. even suggested i wear a neck brace (which I turned down).

So i guess the best thing you can do is just lay off the lifts where you can feel the strain in your neck (could be all of them). when you can comfortably move your head in all directions, you should be able to start up again, but w/ lower weight.

And on the rows, even though it likely wasn't the weight, but the form, i'd suggest using one of those row machines where your chest is against a pad, then you can isolate the back a little easier

And on the rows, even though it likely wasn't the weight, but the form, i'd suggest using one of those row machines where your chest is against a pad, then you can isolate the back a little easier

It was when I was on that machine it got me unfortunately. I should stick to free weight rows, I have better concentration.

Neck isn't too bad today. Packed on ice initially, then I be kneading my back with heat rub at the moment. Trying to at least.

Going to take it easy until Tuesday though. Just finished pt 1 of my intercalated degree. Now for 2nd year shits. Gives me an excuse to study instead of getting bro'd out.

super excited!

yesterday I just cleared 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 on wide-grip pull ups using my bodyweight + 45 lbs..

time to move onto +55 lbs next week :D

that's some solid weight. are you doing wide grip on the bars that angle downwards or straight bar?

also, do you (i'm guessing) prefer weighting the sets all the time or sometimes doing straight sets w/ higher reps?

that's some solid weight. are you doing wide grip on the bars that angle downwards or straight bar?

also, do you (i'm guessing) prefer weighting the sets all the time or sometimes doing straight sets w/ higher reps?

when I do wide-grip pull-ups, I use a bar slightly angled so I can pull my body up more than I would with a straight bar (so my neck gets to the top of the bar)

overall, I do prefer weighted sets rather than sets with just my body weight, but it really depends what exercise I'm doing..

example: with dips, I'll never do them with my body weight because doing 20+ reps a set doesn't do crap for me. I usually go with +90 or +145

but with wide-grip pull-ups, I'll do them with just my body weight if I save them for the end of my back workout.. but if I put them near the beginning of my back routine, I'll do them weighted

optimum nutrition

I disagree with this only based on the situation. I use ON for my meals only when I'm including other items (peanut butter sandwich, yogurt, etc). One shake isn't really enough to cover a whole breakfast's worth of nutrients. As a regular supplement, it's great, though.

Instead, I suggest buying a meal replacer which has higher protein/cals/fat to help you out. I used Isopure for a while. 100% isolates. it worked pretty well, but I think every flavor but dutch choco and choco peanut butter was horrible. Absolutely stay away from the 'tropical mix'

OK, lets try this again after sufu 4.0 deleted it.

Opposite to the question up top, what is the best rep/set scheme for adding mass?

Are you talking mass in squats like knuck was doing or mass in general? I'm a power guy, but I'd say to add mass you really need to do all different things, but keep the reps in the 8-12 range. Pretty much everything shouild be hard by the last set (I'd guess about 4 per exercise), and make sure to throw in some negatives/drop sets/etc.

More importantly than just the weight you do is what you do when you're not lifting. building mass requires a lot of recovery. Generally you'd make sure to drink tons of water (yeah. blah blah blah), eat a lot, and sleep a lot.