Tipping

This might be better suited for Supertrash, but I figured since it has to do with spending I'd put it here.

Anyway, who do you tip and how much?

- Restaurant servers: ~20% +/- depending on service

- Bartenders: $1 per drink, or 15-20% of a tab

- Barber: $2-5 for a cut

- Taxi: ? I never know how much to give these guys. I know some people who give a buck or two regardless of the fare, and others who do like 20%. I tend to over tip when I don't know how much to give.

Who else do you tip?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know it's different for different regions/ cultures.

One thing that bothers me about restaurants is the whole tipping thing.

First, why should the customer pay the salary of the server? The employer pays the server a super low wage (about $2-3 / hour) and it's up to the customer to pay the rest of the salary on top of the meal. Seems a little odd.

Also, why do we tip based on the amount of the bill? Does it take any more effort for someone to serve you a Filet Mignon than a soup and sandwich?

Pretty weird. I've worked as a waiter and a bartender, so I'm not complaining. I just think it's odd.

I agree with all of that. I was at dinner with my Grandfather a few years ago, he was sitting next to me and went to pay the bill for 8 or 10 people, he leaned over pointed to the bill and said, "Tip before the tax." Made sense to me...

I used to valet and you need to give at least $2 every time they get your car, never expected money dropping off but always picking up. If you expect to give one large tip at the end of a stay that's fine, just make sure its a rental car...:rolleyes:

Bellman I think $2 per bag is standard.

Same on pretty much all counts. When I'm drinking, and know I'm going to be at the same place for a while, I might throw the bartender a big tip on the first round to keep things coming. If I get great service in a restaurant I usually throw some arbitrary extra amount on top too.

I tip my barber anywhere from 5-10 bucks usually, but I only get my haircut a few times a year.

no but my mom gives the mailman,garbage man gifts during christmas time, usually lie box of chocolates or at one time socks,lol

For restaurant sI usually tip 15-20%. I usually just take the tax amount and double it.

For asian restaurant i tip like 1-3 dollars.

Does any1 tip thier mail carrier at the end of the year?

Does any1 tip thier mail carrier at the end of the year?

Yea, I think most people see it as more of a gift than a tip though because it's not a regular thing. I had a friend who worked at the post office and she was telling me they really do expect something at the end of the year/christmas time. Was pretty weird.

Yea, I think most people see it as more of a gift than a tip though because it's not a regular thing. I had a friend who worked at the post office and she was telling me they really do expect something at the end of the year/christmas time. Was pretty weird.

I worked for UPS once during the holidays and the driver I worked with expected gifts/tips from a lot of his customers. I think I recall he expected about $750-$1000 (total) from people on his route.

It makes sense to take care of people if they deliver to you every day. I remember my folks gave the newspaper guy some money every year, but I don't know how much.

This might be better suited for Supertrash, but I figured since it has to do with spending I'd put it here.

Anyway, who do you tip and how much?

- Restaurant servers: ~20% +/- depending on service

- Bartenders: $1 per drink, or 15-20% of a tab

- Barber: $2-5 for a cut

- Taxi: ? I never know how much to give these guys. I know some people who give a buck or two regardless of the fare, and others who do like 20%. I tend to over tip when I don't know how much to give.

Who else do you tip?

i'm right in line with this. i tip generously for good/great service, and poorly for poor service. if a waiter's job is based on customer service, they should act like it. always tip based on the pre-tax amount. i give $8 to the haircutter and $2 to the wash bitch, but only b/c my $25 chinatown cut is better than one's i've paid double the price for, plus the wash bitch does a scalp massage.

taxis i give 20% on the nose.

yeah, the std tip for anything service (meals, taxis, haircuts) is 15-20% - most restaurants would expect 20%... shafting a waiter on his/her tip should be a last ditch effort as most restaurants pool their tips (as you may know). therefore if you had crap service you should seek out a manager to make your case known rather than punish everyone for someone slacking. if the manager's a dick or the whole place is shady then by all means leave that tip in pennies. however, in any decent restaurant if you're having bad service you should speak up before it gets to that.

i'm with d_w on throwing an extra few to the bartender for the first round if you're going to stick around. something like 25%. they won't expect it to keep coming but you'll get long pours after that and hopefully some buy backs. and of course always tip on buy backs. the $1 per drink holds up in places where drinks don't normally cost more than $5 (i.e. not nyc) so i usually go 15-20% regardless of the number of drinks.

i hate tipping. theres too may expectations and obligations on both sides of the deal, generally someone feels screwed.

i find it ridiculous that i'm expected to tip someone for reaching behind them, and opening a bottle.

its also ridiculous in the sense that some jobs tips are expected and some aren't. there doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason to this.

i tip because society says i've got to, fuck it, i've got expensive clothes to buy.

Damn, I'm a cheap bastard. I often tip only 10%, and at a packed bar, sometimes not at all.

Then again, when I'm at a friends restaurant/bar I'll tip between 25~100% depending.

Moving from someplace much cheaper than LA has me jaded, as I often find shit way over priced, and service lacking. Especially bars....

I'm not balla enough to be tipping huge so usually 10-20% depending on how good the service is.

Just the whole idea of tipping is fuckin ridiculous. Ever been to Asia? GREAT service and no tip = teh win. Even more ridiculous is the fact that resturant owners expect customers to make up for them paying their waiters below minimum wage. fuckkk that

restaurants. always 20-25% depending on service. unless it is bad, and i leave nothing.

bars. if it's a $5 drink, i'll leave them a dollar. if it's $7-$9 i'll just throw them a $10... easier than waiting for change.

haircut. my stylist usually charges $45, but she only charges me $20, so i just leave her $40.

Bartenders get paid way too much in my opinion. A dollar every drink when each person at the club is going to have at least 5 drinks is $5x 500 people in the club. I think that is crazy considering most of the time they just hand you a beer. Thats why I do every other drink.

I drive delivery. People are really inconsistent. Some people tip $2-3 up to $25 , some people still you or leave you the change every time. I was really happy when this guy tipped me $6.50 on a $10 order after being stiffed twice in a row. I generally dont' get much (drive subs around)

I won't tip unless I get good service. I'll usually do 10%, or double tax if service was extraordinary.

I tried to use the rest of my balance off a gift card today, ended up spending $15 with $6 left on the card. The waitress KEPT the card, and when I asked her where it was she mumbled out something about not needing to tip her. I only saw this bitch twice - to take my order and bring it. Got dat card back and robokoppped dessert, made sure to write a big fat zero on the receipt for her bitchass.