The Surfing Thread

camc

Any sufu surfers out there? Interested to know what you guys are riding, home breaks, holiday destinations, equipment recommendations etc.

I'll kick it off.

Board - Simon Anderson Interceptor

Favorite destinations - Gold Coast (despite the ridiculous crowds compared to at home in West Oz), Bali, Margaret River

I need a new wetsuit. Thinking about the O'neill Mutant. Any suggestions?

Guest Goose25

A really great break! If its no good you can always pop 'round to Freshwater and see whats happening or head up to Curl Curl for meatier waves... Some really nice left handers at the 'cliff just on sunset, for some reason they just appear at this time and then after 5 or 6 sets are gone just like that.

Am in France now - looking forward to testing out Biarritz and sth-west coast of France.

Any suggestions on where to stay with good breaks around Biarritz?

Guest Goose25
i would love to go to France.

France rocks - its like Australia squeezed into a driveable country.

I love the mini-mal's - are they still out in the oz breaks or does no-one ride them anymore?

France rocks - its like Australia squeezed into a driveable country.

I love the mini-mal's - are they still out in the oz breaks or does no-one ride them anymore?

is it expensive to get accommodation near the surf in france?

the mini-mals are definitely there. have a big problem with them at my local. hog all the good waves.

have to go here to escape them:

l_f96671c81e5dfa481057471ef99b656e.jpg

ive seen guys try and ride mals out there and its not pretty!

Guest Goose25

Like anywhere, it gets expensive during the holiday (July, August) and is reasonable either side of this period.

I have been told there are some awesome waves in winter on the France sth coast but you need the heavy wetsuit/gloves/hood. I know a guy who surfs Normandie in winter... brrrrrr... dodging icebergs on the paddle out!

These guys do surf safaris http://www.naturalsurflodge.com , we're thinking of going with them

6'0 Hawaii Island Creations or my 7'0 Fun shape/Gun WRV

Local Breaks: Cape Hatteras, NC; Ocracoke, NC; Wrightsville Beach, NC

Travel to Costa Rica about twice a year, I'll be there in August at Hermosa Beach. I may study abroad in Australia just for the good surf...haha

Like anywhere, it gets expensive during the holiday (July, August) and is reasonable either side of this period.

I have been told there are some awesome waves in winter on the France sth coast but you need the heavy wetsuit/gloves/hood. I know a guy who surfs Normandie in winter... brrrrrr... dodging icebergs on the paddle out!

These guys do surf safaris http://www.naturalsurflodge.com , we're thinking of going with them

woah. ive baulked at going out over here some days due to the cold. dont think id ever be keen enough for gloves and hood haha.

hossegor looks awesome. maybe after i finish uni i will head over there. have you surfed anywhere else in europe?

Travel to Costa Rica about twice a year, I'll be there in August at Hermosa Beach. I may study abroad in Australia just for the good surf...haha

should do it. ive always wanted to do the same thing.. move to california for uni/surfing/entourage lifestyle haha.

A really great break! If its no good you can always pop 'round to Freshwater and see whats happening or head up to Curl Curl for meatier waves... Some really nice left handers at the 'cliff just on sunset, for some reason they just appear at this time and then after 5 or 6 sets are gone just like that.

Am in France now - looking forward to testing out Biarritz and sth-west coast of France.

Any suggestions on where to stay with good breaks around Biarritz?

Good man! this is my local beach, i worked a couple summers as a lifesaver on north narrabeen.

Heading to Bali again next week, very excited!

Homebreak: Rockpiles and Bowls (honolulu, hawaii)

Cali Breaks: El Porto, Topanga, Malibu, Salt Creek, Trestles

Boards: 9'0 Kekoa Uemura, 9'0 Tanaka, 5'5 Mike Woo Fish

Cali surf is pretty good, but still haven't found anywhere close to as good as bowls or rockpiles (especially not a left break). Malibu is pretty sick, just the crowd is ridiculous.

Guest Goose25
have you surfed anywhere else in europe?

not yet - have been wrapped up with cycling and swim, morocco has seem amazing beaches, we went out into the sahara in morocco recently - next time its the coast!

home break: san diego, bitches. best beaches in the world.

5 minutes from black's beach

20 minutes from trestles, etc. etc.

too poor to go anywhere else for surfing.

riding:

windansea 6'5" shortboard

jwong custom 7'11" funboard

recovering:

from reef bite. lemon hurtzzzz

wearing:

last saturday night? nothing for night surfing. but board chafe = :(

otherwise 4/3 rip curl full suit, but it's getting way warmer here.

ps: was anybody in san diego for big wednesday 07? huge-ass swells the size of your momma, had a few friends go down, break boards, and wind up in the emergency room...I stayed on the sidelines and had a cup of hot chocolate wishing I had bigger balls.

I'm actually from Wrightsville Beach. I used to surf alot, not so much anymore though.

Ride a 9'6 Eavy rider. And a 6'4 single fin

home break: san diego, bitches. best beaches in the world.

5 minutes from black's beach

20 minutes from trestles, etc. etc.

too poor to go anywhere else for surfing.

riding:

windansea 6'5" shortboard

jwong custom 7'11" funboard

recovering:

from reef bite. lemon hurtzzzz

wearing:

last saturday night? nothing for night surfing. but board chafe = :(

otherwise 4/3 rip curl full suit, but it's getting way warmer here.

ps: was anybody in san diego for big wednesday 07? huge-ass swells the size of your momma, had a few friends go down, break boards, and wind up in the emergency room...I stayed on the sidelines and had a cup of hot chocolate wishing I had bigger balls.

trestles looks the funnest wave ever.

all this talk of waves makes me want to get off my lazy arse and travel somewhere.

thinking of going to japan at the end of the year for a bit of snow... any surf around during december/january?

• 3 weeks later...