Incubus used to rock...what happened?

WayneGibbous

Incubus rocked during the Fungus Amongus and especially the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. eras but every album they made after that kinda sucked. Science was such an unbelieveable album which was not just one of the better hard rock albums but (IMO) one of the better albums period. It was very progressive and diverse but was not followed up on.

What do you think?

I liked Incubus for like a week in grade 8 or something .. because of that song with the whale noises, then I listened to their other songs and went back to listening to the same green day albums I'd been listening to since grade 5 .. werd.

Incubus rocked during the Fungus Amongus and especially the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. eras but every album they made after that kinda sucked. Science was such an unbelieveable album which was not just one of the better hard rock albums but (IMO) one of the better albums period. It was very progressive and diverse but was not followed up on.

What do you think?

Really? Really, WayneGibbous? The amount of scorn you dole out on a daily basis lead me to believe that you were (or puported to be) a man of taste and refinement. Obviously i was wrong.

The funny thing about Superfuture + music is that I have incredibly bad taste in music so I'm going out on a limb to say that I enjoy Incubus more than the average person.

I saw Incubus in San Francisco last year and they've mellowed out a lot…it was still a good concert and a pretty nice christmas gift.

Guest jmatsu

What do you think?

silence fool. shit has always sucked.

I'm gonna be the odd man out and attempt to explain my appreciation for incubus. Like most, I dug S.C.I.E.N.C.E. in 8th grade or so, and professed my hatred for them the second that I gave Morning View a listen. I came back to Incubus recently, and while the edgy/funky rhythmic sensibility that they tried to cultivate on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and to a lesser degree Make Yourself is pretty much gone from their later work, I cannot say that I consider Incubus to objectively be a "shitty" band. Stylistically, it's not my cup of tea, but there is a level of sophistication that these guys put into chord progressions, melodic tricks, and rhythmic syncopation that far exceeds their peers. I used to think that they sold out entirely. I don't completely think that's true anymore. If you listen to "Mexico", there is actually a lot to that song. They use a lot of interesting chord suspensions and some substitutions that are straight cole porter. The meter goes out of 4/4 and into complex meters all the time. While there's nothing really impressive about fucking with time signatures, songs like "Mexico" or "Make Yourself" exhibit the band's ability to do so seemlessly and effortlessly. Most people don't stop to wonder what the hell is going on. That can partially be attributed to the vocals. Say what you will, but Brandon has an excellent rhythmic sense and can weave his way through suspensions, plus nine chords, and pretty much any funky timing and make it smooth. He also has fantastic pitch and range. He's not a shitty singer and he definitely knows what he's doing. Their lyrics have absolutely gone down hill, and losing their old bassist from Fungus, S.C.I.E.N.C.E, and Make Yourself has REALLY lowered my opinion of the band, but, if you're willing to put in the time, Incubus has a good deal to offer musically, even if you're moved to vommit from songs about southern girls and such.

I'm gonna be the odd man out and attempt to explain my appreciation for incubus. Like most, I dug S.C.I.E.N.C.E. in 8th grade or so, and professed my hatred for them the second that I gave Morning View a listen. I came back to Incubus recently, and while the edgy/funky rhythmic sensibility that they tried to cultivate on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and to a lesser degree Make Yourself is pretty much gone from their later work, I cannot say that I consider Incubus to objectively be a "shitty" band. Stylistically, it's not my cup of tea, but there is a level of sophistication that these guys put into chord progressions, melodic tricks, and rhythmic syncopation that far exceeds their peers. I used to think that they sold out entirely. I don't completely think that's true anymore. If you listen to "Mexico", there is actually a lot to that song. They use a lot of interesting chord suspensions and some substitutions that are straight cole porter. The meter goes out of 4/4 and into complex meters all the time. While there's nothing really impressive about fucking with time signatures, songs like "Mexico" or "Make Yourself" exhibit the band's ability to do so seemlessly and effortlessly. Most people don't stop to wonder what the hell is going on. That can partially be attributed to the vocals. Say what you will, but Brandon has an excellent rhythmic sense and can weave his way through suspensions, plus nine chords, and pretty much any funky timing and make it smooth. He also has fantastic pitch and range. He's not a shitty singer and he definitely knows what he's doing. Their lyrics have absolutely gone down hill, and losing their old bassist from Fungus, S.C.I.E.N.C.E, and Make Yourself has REALLY lowered my opinion of the band, but, if you're willing to put in the time, Incubus has a good deal to offer musically, even if you're moved to vommit from songs about southern girls and such.

Just glancing over this rant makes me go crosseyed. As a musician myself I can honestly say that incubus' boring "complicated" chord progressions, little scratchy dj sounds, and try too hard vocals all add up to a crappy band.

For point of reference here is me explaining why bands I like are good.

- They write really good songs.

catch my drift?

What do you think?

The funny thing about Superfuture + music is that I have incredibly bad taste in music so I'm going out on a limb to say that I enjoy Incubus more than the average person.

I saw Incubus in San Francisco last year and they've mellowed out a lot…it was still a good concert and a pretty nice christmas gift.

Yes they get rhythmic...yes Brandon can sing live as well as he does on the studio records...and yes they are a "creative" bunch who all seem to have a sense of humor.

And yes they are better to have as your girlfriend's favorite (guilty pleasure) band over ultra utter shit like Papa Roach or Linkin Park or Evanescence.

But honestly...just listen to Faith No More and Mr. Bungle...and even early SuckOnThis/FrizzleFry/SeasOfCheese Primus (shit I can't even remember which came first, SUck On This or Frizzle Fry...it has been THAT long).

You will get what you always wanted in a way that you never expected.

^This is a good analysis. I'm gonna assume that most people are too young to remember how much SCIENCE rocked. I was a Junior in HS in 1998 when I first saw them open for 311, Sugar Ray and Jimmy's Chicken shack. They went on first and blew the place away. My problem with them is they 'jumped the shark' with their next album. Band are supposed to get better and progress not digress and suck balls...

^This is a good analysis. I'm gonna assume that most people are too young to remember how much SCIENCE rocked. I was a Junior in HS in 1998 when I first saw them open for 311, Sugar Ray and Jimmy's Chicken shack. They went on first and blew the place away. My problem with them is they 'jumped the shark' with their next album. Band are supposed to get better and progress not digress and suck balls...

Actually alot of bands do this (digress and start to suck balls)... it's not a new thing. There's something that success does to some bands that changes the type of things they encounter in life and are inspired by.

edit: then there are sucessful bands that are just good at playing music you don't like... they will inevitably just get good at annoying you more.

Or too old...

Actually alot of bands do this (digress and start to suck balls)... it's not a new thing. There's something that success does to some bands that changes the type of things they encounter in life and are inspired by.

edit: then there are sucessful bands that are just good at playing music you don't like... they will inevitably just get good at annoying you more.

No yo aren't getting me. It was their second album. And it rocked. And then they went straight down hill...