General Research (Mountain, Naval, Riding, etc..)

So as not to further clutter the Poorly titled "High Fashion Mountaineering Boots" thread, I have decided to make a topic for The Research Group, General Research, sett inc., and their various sub-labels such as Mountain Research and Naval Clothing Factory Research

Having recently discovered them, I'm impressed by the simple effectiveness of their idea:

Take a genre of clothing, study the cuts, fabrics, worksmanship, and practical uses and faithfully reproduce it with a few small twists. I like that they are not so caught up in the "3 layer goretex paclite this and that" bullshit. That has its application, but good cotton and wool outerwear will never go out of style. Their one major failing (as with many a japanese brand) is that they sometimes go overboard with their "themes" leading to slightly embarrresing slogans such as "anarchy in the mountains". That said, who doesn't want a bright orange ash cannister with an A on it?

So without further ado...Pictures

Mountain Research

Cotton Twill Anorak

Anorak-1.jpg

MRLook3.jpg

Knit Pants

MRKnitpants.jpg

Ash Cannister

MRAshcan.jpg

Absurdely small picture of Double Knee sweat pants

MRSweatpants.jpg

Mountainresearchlook1.jpg

Long Underwear

MRUNDERPANTS.jpg

MountainResearchlook2.jpg

MountainResearchlook2.jpg

Ive got this jacket, and its absolutely fucking amazing!!!!!!!!

To answer a few questions, Garbstore is the only stockist outside of Japan anywhere, so no US stockists or other euro stockists. It sells out in Japan really fast and they only make limited runs of each collection, when its gone its gone.

Im fairly sure it is made in Japan, at any rate the quality is amazing.

Just recently, they came out with a collection called "Other colors" which from my limited knowledge seems to be reproductions of bits from other collections in new colors or slightly different styles.

Here are a couple pieces from Other Colors

they have been doing that for a couple of seasons.

the messenger research was worst of all the research series.

general research has been around for a long time. at least 10 years or so.

i think they blew up when they ended general research and started mountain research.

in the past, they had collabos with undercover, groovision, hysteric glamour, and etc

production is a bit of a mix some is made in jp some is china,picking up my naval shirt tomo

I ordered some Naval stuff and the Ash cannister over the weekend, and then noticed monday that practically all of the NR stuff has been taken off the site! Hope I got my order in in time. Haven't heard otherwise from them, so I should be good. Give us a lil report when your in there re: current stock if you don't mind.

Good shit, RBW. I'm into the anorak that was posted first. I'm also intrigued by the sweatpants, just because I wear jeans everyday. A pair that fits me right could be interesting for my wardrobe.

I agree completely. I feel like both you and I tried and failed with some dropped crotch steeze sweats. I returned mine immidiately, and I remember your being FS in the market too. These look perfect. My main problem with most american sweats is that they're cut all weird, and balloon in the thighs coming to a taper at the bottom. These have some shape and the cut looks relaxed but not too baggy.

Might have got them with other stuff from Garbstore, but they were all out in M, and the L is a 34" waist.

is the sizing on the research stuff the same as the garbstore stuff? I ordered one of those "50s workout tops" or whatever the fuck from garbstore a while back in a size xs and it was gigantic. It fit like a very oversized M. seriously. huge. if all of this stuff runs that big then I'm angry.

ill check in a few weeks

my place is 10-15 mins away from general research. ill try on some stuff then.

the store's inventory is pretty horrible. It's a small store with barely any clothes for sale.

is the sizing on the research stuff the same as the garbstore stuff? I ordered one of those "50s workout tops" or whatever the fuck from garbstore a while back in a size xs and it was gigantic. It fit like a very oversized M. seriously. huge. if all of this stuff runs that big then I'm angry.

No, the research stuff is Jap sized, so a medium in research fits slightly bigger if not the same as a small in euro/us sizing. I ordered a garbstore jacket in small and it was huge but my medium mountain research jacket fits great. The only problem with Garbstore's research stuff is that they only stock medium upwards, they dont have any in small, so if youre a bit on the skinny side, it might fit a bit big. Shoot them an email though and theyll be happy to measure stuff for you, theyre really friendly guys.

No, the research stuff is Jap sized, so a medium in research fits slightly bigger if not the same as a small in euro/us sizing. I ordered a garbstore jacket in small and it was huge but my medium mountain research jacket fits great. The only problem with Garbstore's research stuff is that they only stock medium upwards, they dont have any in small, so if youre a bit on the skinny side, it might fit a bit big. Shoot them an email though and theyll be happy to measure stuff for you, theyre really friendly guys.

fresh. thanks. now I can get my little guy on.