Wal-Mart plotting to acquire Tommy Hilfiger

djrajio

http://www.wwd.com/notavailable/dotcom?target=/issue/article/101547&articleId=101547&articleType=A&industryKw=issue

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5636712.html

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=3902819&nav=0RbQ

It's amazing how drastically the label has changed in perception since the good ole' hip-hop days. I knew they've been shopping their outfit for a buyer for sometime, but this is pretty sad if it goes though. Perhaps Wal-mart is thinking of pulling a Target masstige-concept as well?

edit: Actually, I take that back. Given that Jones of New York owns Barney's and doesn't interfere with their operations; such acquisitions might be advantageous. To the general Amerian populase, it might make sense, since most people don't even know that TH is a Hong-Kong owned label; they usually assume it's American.

Edited by djrajio on Sep 27, 2005 at 08:53 AM

Edited by djrajio on Sep 27, 2005 at 08:57 AM

i can see wal-mart being able to take advantage of their economy of scale and leverage the brand to great economic benefits. although you can also argue for the diversification of business theory, TH won't make a significant impact to WM's bottom line.

as for the overhaul of WM's brand, that will just be too extreme i think. what they have going for them now works. the target "masstige" concept works for target because their stores are designed with that in mind. overhauling all the WM stores and redo a brand overhaul would be too big of a risk for a conservative company like WM to take, in my opinion. they're all about selling cheap stuff cheaper than anyone else.

i could careless either way. i never really cared for TH and the cheesey flag they put on everything. even their highend line line is crap.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Fuck Tommy Hilfiger. Wal*Mart are welcome to them (although if they give 1/10th of a shit about their investment they'll try to keep their name as far away from the Hilfiger brand as possible.

Bill Gibson said it best in Pattern Recognition

Quote: ''This stuff is simulacra of simulacra of simulacra. A diluted tincture of Ralph Lauren, who had himself diluted the glory days of Brooks Brothers, who themselves had stepped on the product of Jermyn Street and Savile Row, flavouring their ready-to-wear with liberal lashings of polo knit and regimental stripes. But Tommy surely is the null point, the black hole. There must be some Tommy Hilfiger event horizon, beyond which it is impossible to be more derivative, more removed from the source, more devoid of soul.''