Nudie Dry RR - Hemming

nst

I wanted to get some opinions on hemming of Nudie Dry Sel. RRs.

I hate to wear jeans with fold-ups and always hem all my jeans if they are too long.

However, Nudie Dry RRs have a rather hard to match bright yellow-orange thread used on the hems and have a rather distinctive stitch on the inside leg as well. Any alterations urn the risk of affecting the "character" of these hems and cause a thread-colour mismatch. Do most people stick to fold-ups for over long (about 2 inches) Nudie Dry Sel. jeans or has anyone had success with alterations?

nst, I have the same issue with my Nudie dry RRs. The hemm does have a distinct stitching. There are tailors that can cut it then attach the hemm back but due to the nature of the RRs being a bit bootcut, this is not possible.

Appreciate it if anyone can shed light on the matter.

I'm not sure what people mean by "re-attaching the original hem"... if that just means re-applying the same stitching with the same color thread. As long as the tailor alters them to the right length and the hem looks like an approximation of the original (from the outside), then I don't see how one can ask for more.

I've got a pair of RRDS that I'm cuffing for the time being because they're a 34" inseam and I'm normally a 31.5". Logic being that they do shrink up to 3% after a wash, so the last thing I want to end up with is a pair of RRDS capri pants after the wash. I'm going to get them hemmed and not cuff them after that wash, although the cuffed looked has grown on me - prior to getting these, I hadn't cuffed my jeans since the early 90's... when I did so out of necessity (skating + baggy pants = cuff)... but the cuffed look is one I can certainly dig.

You could always not hem or cuff them and let them bunch at your feet like all the Dior Homme wearers... although the dry denim won't sit the same way the treated Diors do.

Quote:

I'm not sure what people mean by "re-attaching the original hem"... if that just means re-applying the same stitching with the same color thread. As long as the tailor alters them to the right length and the hem looks like an approximation of the original (from the outside), then I don't see how one can ask for more.

I've got a pair of RRDS that I'm cuffing for the time being because they're a 34" inseam and I'm normally a 31.5". Logic being that they do shrink up to 3% after a wash, so the last thing I want to end up with is a pair of RRDS capri pants after the wash. I'm going to get them hemmed and not cuff them after that wash, although the cuffed looked has grown on me - prior to getting these, I hadn't cuffed my jeans since the early 90's... when I did so out of necessity (skating + baggy pants = cuff)... but the cuffed look is one I can certainly dig.

You could always not hem or cuff them and let them bunch at your feet like all the Dior Homme wearers... although the dry denim won't sit the same way the treated Diors do.

--- Original message by gunpwdr on Sep 26, 2005 03:39 AM

The Dior jeans are tapered to a VERY tight ankle so hanging down is not possible. I believe it can be either a 19cm or 23cm. Not sure the stats on a pair of RR but they're bootcut so you have the opposite effect.

19cm hem isnt that slim... most my jeans i taper to a 16 or 17..

with the nudies, you will need to find a chain-stitching machine to get the same type of stitch that is already there, and of course, they will need to use similar tough thick denim thread... i doubt the average tailor shop has this, so your really gonna have to phone and ask a few.. or ask at a denim only shop? maybe they can perform alterations?

i had a similar problem with my nudies RRDS being too long and i cant stand folding up jeans..another thing is that u r not to wash these jeans for 6 months but ur supposed to wash new jeans atleast once b4 hemming. i asked a professional and he said he will hem them with consideration for the fact that they have not been washed. so just go and ask someone! haha