Lima, Peru

dnarnya

I'm going to Lima, Peru for a few months and I was wondering if anyone else has spent some time there. I'm interested in the standard what's it like, what to do, etc., type questions... :)

I'm assuming that San Isidro and Miraflores are the areas where most extranjeros stay and spend their time... besides trips to the attractions outside of Lima of course.

So yea, what's it like? Comparisons to other cities would be helpful, if that is even possible..

Update: Transportation? How to get around Lima?

I was there late last year, but for less than a week...

Miraflores is a pretty safe, middle-to-upper class area - mainly bars, restaurants, cinemas and shopping (although I wasn't looking for clothes, I highly doubt you'd find much of interest there). It's (generally) not expensive to eat or drink around there.

Centro is the historic area, lotsa nice old buildings (but also some more rundown parts).

Museo de la Nacion (National Museum) is worth a visit - had some interesting archeological exhibits, good ceramics too (including some pretty funny sexual-orientated ones).

I went to a local football (soccer) match as well, good atmosphere and tickets cost next to nothing (about $3-4 in general standing). Crowd is almost entirely young guys and it can get a little testosterone heavy tho, so I'd advise dressing down and not bring anything expensive with you. Fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Girls in Lima (and throughout Peru, for that matter) are very friendly, particularly towards Western guys - you shouldn't have any trouble picking up (in case you're wondering).

Overall, it's a bit of a concrete jungle and isn't as desirable (a tourist destination) as other areas of Peru. Do post back though, would be interested to hear what you manage to come across there.

I've never been, but I love the food-- If you're not familiar with the dishes I LOVE

1. Papa a la Huancaina (Potato with creamy sauce)

2. Lomo Saltado (rice, french fries, and strips of steak with onion, tomato, and peppers < my favorite

3. CEVICHE- fresh seafood marinated in lime juice- I hope you like seafood.

4. Arroz con Pollo- Chicken and rice (its like the national dish), with Ahi( spicy sauce).

5. Cuy (Coo-ee)- Fried Guinea Pig - I never had it, but I really want to

I've had other stuff at my peruvian friends' houses, but this is what is the most common.

Sorry, I forgot drinks- They have Inca Cola (its like pinapple/bubble gum flavored, but I love it). The Chicha Morada is a purple drink made from corn and it sometimes has a strong clove taste, but its sweet and way good. Have a great time man!

Taxis are fairly cheap and the easiest way of getting around (can't remember exact amounts, but you shouldn't end up paying more than a few bucks for an average trip).

The cheaper option is the mini / shuttle buses. They're everywhere (and an adventure in themselves), but its a little harder to work out exactly where each is going. Would help to know at least a little Spanish if you plan on catching them.

The two of those account for the majority of cars on the roads there actually. No train system that I'm aware of.

Edit: Should point out that things in Lima are fairly well spaced out. You can walk individual areas (Miraflores, Centro etc) but you'll have to rely on some form of transport to get you most places.