90's QB Hip Hop ASIDE From Illmatic/It Was Written Saved My Life!

heBAY

The joint with Ali Vegas?

"Pone body for Vegas, Vegas body for Pone Nigga we got it sewn"

I got Maaad pone joints. The PTG Mixtape was WAAAAAAAAYYYY better than the subsequent album. "Queeensbridge" is a certified banger. Capone sounds best over those type of beats. Anthem type shit. That's why he kills it on The Reunion.

Generation Gap is an amazing album, 'Pone is ill on Gangsta's life

I never got the actual album (i dunno if it was ever officially released) but i got the mixtape way back when with Theme of New York, Narcotics, Betrayal of a Thug..

The Co-Signing with AZ was also fire

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The joint with Ali Vegas?

"Pone body for Vegas, Vegas body for Pone Nigga we got it sewn"

I got Maaad pone joints. The PTG Mixtape was WAAAAAAAAYYYY better than the subsequent album. "Queeensbridge" is a certified banger. Capone sounds best over those type of beats. Anthem type shit. That's why he kills it on The Reunion.

Nah definitely not with Ali Vegas. All of this was solo Pone. I may need to look at your list of Pone stuff...this track I'm thnking of was mega rare.

Forgotten alot of this stuff!

Whats the name of the mobb deep track thats a rap from the perspective of a gun.

Uh...Nas - "I Gave You Power"????

• 1 month later...
Tragedy Khadafi-Intelligent Hoodlum classic shit

Funny cause I was just looking at the reissue to cop last night...the happiness that flooded my heart when I saw the "Funk Mode Extra-P Remix" featuring Havoc...oooh man I sold that white label deep ago for something chunky.

this may have been posted before but def worth 10 minutes

Little documentary behind the making of CNN and how their most well known track, L.A., L.A., came about.

Nice...didn't see that one yet...but it sure reminded me of that time. I still have those 25 Ta Life white label 12"'s they pressed themselves...as well as the Dolo Records "LA, LA" proper single that Stretch put out (including the Marley Marl remix...and a lackluster Stretch Arm remix as well).

HILARIOUS piece of classic NYC public access action...

-dzbsd6o1JI

'03/Grimey-era Nore and Capone...breaking down Maury Povich and a story about a video girl "fahtin'"...

Before the Reggaeton and Miami overdose...Nore shows exactly why I would argue with naysayers when they would claim he was trash or wack...beyond rap, the dude was a personality (I'll always say...the "21st Century ODB").

On a side note, this was from the show Freakin' It With Da Fellas...I pretty much hated everything about the show...the interviewees would, half the time, shit on the host (GeeQue) cause he was such a corn. Some upper west side kid...a few of my boys knew him and his partner/ex-cohost...and he's exactly as he is on camera (embarrassing). I remember seeing him at Hunter College one day during some PSAT shit...shook my head (be glad he doesn't try to freestyle in this clip...you don't wanna hear that).

Despot...if your'e reading this...the kid was Kasm before Kasm was Kasm (corny hair bandana and all).

• 8 months later...

Just read this from start to finish. Only bummer was that it had to get to page 13 for a mention of Screwball. Y2K was worth more than a couple listens. I always liked their logo. It reminds me of Garbage Pail Kids. The second album (Loyalty?) was blah. I vaguely remember there being some sort of posse cut on there i liked. Maybe just with Cormega, as opposed to posse. I think Hostyle put out a couple of mix cd's and maybe a solo. The rest of them i'm going to be optimistic and say they went on to work at ConEd.

The main contributors (heBay, Raised) know way more than I'll ever hope to know, so im not going to extol any credentials or make attempts to seem super down. Please just know that this thread is appreciated and you've inspired me to put 41st Side, QB's Finest, and Lake/Cormega "My Brothers Keeper" back on the ipod for a more thorough listen.

P.S. I was hipped to this through the High Fash Boots thread (which prior to yesterday I had zero interest in or any knowledge of what it discussed. Some of those are real nice) so i gotta give you double kudos for both threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha...I haven't been on here ina minute.

Glad you were inspired by this thread...that was my point. Coincidentally, you've named one of the only other threads I check out on here (RBW's "HF Boots").

Screwball is cool...I don't remember if I mentioned them or not...but the 12" they dropped a few years before the Y2K album with "Why (Ask Why)" and "All Screwed Up" (I think those were the names...the second joints was a hard, slow Beatnuts beat) was the shit. I liked both albums primarily for the cameos though. Loyalty had M.O.P., Mega, Trag...hmmm probably some others...and some good production...as did Y2K ("Heat Is On" was my shit).

I honestly don't know where Marley got the sample to "The Bridge 2000"...but yeah that definitely sounds like some chaotic end of the world movie score shit. Good call on that...I have that soundtrack and I'm almost down to put it on to see if you got that right. Vicious fuckin' track.

BTW...whoever is in NYC or the tri-state area...needs to come through for a live turntable tribute to all things Queens Hip Hop...happening sometime soon...PM for details.

I'm definitely interested in hearing that new Blaq Poet album that's gonna drop soon. Matter of fact, gonna give Deja Screw a spin in the next day or two.

But back on the obscure QB tip, do any of you guys know if Germ, Ammo, or Artillery ever released solo mixtapes, EPs, or 12"s? I'm looking for material from any of 'em.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sally - for youtube links you just gotta put in the tag (youtube) (/youtube) (with these symbols though "[ ]") and paste the letters/numbers that come after the "v=" in the original URL.

I'm amped for WR2. Nore's been under Rae's tutelage. That slow track they did is weak though (forget the name), only Rae comes off nice.

• 2 weeks later...