90's QB Hip Hop ASIDE From Illmatic/It Was Written Saved My Life!

heBAY

Favorite albums...songs...artists...producers...mixtapes (Stretch Armstrong and DJ EV by default)...moments...freestyles...etc.?

DO NOT MAKE THIS A FUCKING NAS THREAD. Please. People who know who Iman Thug is...people who've heard the whole Big Noyd Episodes... EP from '96 only (or those who are interested in such things).

Too many favorites to name...MC's in no particular order:

-War Report-era CNN (even The Reunion was tough)...

-Prodigy circa Infamous to right after HNIC (probably my favorite QB MC when he was at his prime)

-Tragedy...especially during the "True Confessions" period...add Iman Thug to that list (his verse on CNN's "Driver's Seat" is still ridiculous)...

-Cormega ala "Angel Dust"

Albums:

-CNN's War Report (feels like every whip I've ever been in...brought this CD with me to play)

-Prodigy HNIC (IMO one of his best lyrical efforts)

-Mobb Deep Hell On Earth and Murda Muzik (The Infamous is incredible...but that's like saying "drinking water is good"...we all know this)...Free Agents was good money too.

I'll have more to add to that list...

Pictures coming soon...but seriously...this was a great stretch in NYC Hip Hop that extended even into the 2000's. The ridiculous Ballerina P Blog thread kinda resparked my interest in listening to the classic shit...plus they were playing War Report at DQM a few days ago.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chemi

shante is still one of my favorite female MCs, i rememeber how Bite This was like the hardest sounding beat ever (although a few years late, my neighbor gave me the tape). she had some other great songs too, like queen of rox and def fresh crew. the freestyle she did with biz beatboxing was pretty sick as well.

oh yeah another thing, i was watching the spike jonze with fatlip, and i remember how Fatlip talked about how the whole time he and Pharcyde were doing their Cali thing he was thinking it was sorta whack and how he wished they sounded more like Queensbridge rappers. definitely made me cry inside :o

I love QB hip hop. So many artists I could list off.

Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned by hebay yet ... most of this stuff is early 2000's.

Cormega's The Realness and The Testament.

Infamous Mobb's Special Edition.

Nature's For All Seasons.

Lake Present's the 41st side.

Lake's Gutter Block King mixtape.

Tragedy Khadafi - Saga of a Hoodlum and Against All Odds.

Big Noyd's Armed & Dangerous mixtape. (Air It Out was my shit.)

Nashawn's Miss Cocaine track.

up in Queen's, shit is for real, we obliged to get hectic;

shit is for real, we obliged to get hectic;

shit is for real, we obliged to get hectic.

Oh man...No you didn't.

Let's see quick.

No one mentioned Little Lord AKA Littles.

He's been really inconsistent, but "The Feeding" is a fucking underground QB Classic in my opinion. I got that shit via his "cousin" who was dropping em off at sound city by hand when I happend to stroll in.

"where I'm from" and "hallwayz" feat. Raekwon showcase his assured but hungry flow best.

Around the time Nas came out with Illmatic/ I was Illmatic with that black matic/Jumpin in n outta coupes lettin mufuckas have it

Tight.

Next up, a little known Rapper named Lazy perhaps apropriately named, since I've never seen anything other than a scruffy mixtape with guns on the cover sold to me by the African dude on 30th avenue who said he sounded like a "young 50 cent". Yeah...OK.

He's not great by ANY means, but there's a couple songs on there that I've actually replayed quite a few times since. I like his voice too. That slick greezy shit. Maybe that's where the fifty comparison comes in.

It's impossible to dig up anything on dude, so maybe he went back to what he was best at. He's from Astoria Houses by the by.

Capone's solo material

Very inconsistent, but when he's on. he's on. Pin time and glory mixtape is sick. Some of the unknowns featured actuallyimpressed me. Pain time and glory the album? Not so much.

He's got some sick solo tracks from old clue tapes in the late 90's including one with Ali Vegas that I'd love to get my hands on again.

Mussaliny n Maze Neither from QB (lefrak and Bed stuy I think), but heavily affiliated. These two have some of the best guest appearnces on all of CNN's group efforts, as well as Nore's independant ventures. I heard them once freestyling on Harlem Radio in 98 99 and they tore it down. Had real command of the show, and the Studio tracks they dropped on there were pretty solid too...

That's all for now, but you done started something...

Just know that.

The hardest MC's is comin out of Queensbridge!

You have to give it to the Mobb and P for being the best. A close second being Mega.

Wealth, health, and happiness nigga

keep me from runnin' 'round clappin' these niggas

Oh man...No you didn't.

Let's see quick.

No one mentioned Little Lord AKA Littles.

He's been really inconsistent, but "The Feeding" is a fucking underground QB Classic in my opinion. I got that shit via his "cousin" who was dropping em off at sound city by hand when I happend to stroll in.

"where I'm from" and "hallwayz" feat. Raekwon showcase his assured but hungry flow best.

Around the time Nas came out with Illmatic/ I was Illmatic with that black matic/Jumpin in n outta coupes lettin mufuckas have it

Tight.

Next up, a little known Rapper named Lazy perhaps apropriately named, since I've never seen anything other than a scruffy mixtape with guns on the cover sold to me by the African dude on 30th avenue who said he sounded like a "young 50 cent". Yeah...OK.

He's not great by ANY means, but there's a couple songs on there that I've actually replayed quite a few times since. I like his voice too. That slick greezy shit. Maybe that's where the fifty comparison comes in.

It's impossible to dig up anything on dude, so maybe he went back to what he was best at. He's from Astoria Houses by the by.

Capone's solo material

Very inconsistent, but when he's on. he's on. Pin time and glory mixtape is sick. Some of the unknowns featured actuallyimpressed me. Pain time and glory the album? Not so much.

He's got some sick solo tracks from old clue tapes in the late 90's including one with Ali Vegas that I'd love to get my hands on again.

Mussaliny n Maze Neither from QB (lefrak and Bed stuy I think), but heavily affiliated. These two have some of the best guest appearnces on all of CNN's group efforts, as well as Nore's independant ventures. I heard them once freestyling on Harlem Radio in 98 99 and they tore it down. Had real command of the show, and the Studio tracks they dropped on there were pretty solid too...

That's all for now, but you done started something...

Just know that.

Littles shit with Tragedy...that ALchemist beat...wow. "Stay (...something...I wanna say "True")"...that was my joint crazy. The Feeding, was that the first mixtape? His first shit was ill to me. THe joint with Rae WAS ill indeed.

Muse n Maze had that early '00's joint with the Neptunes...CNN was on the "remix"...I forget the title...I'll get that shit in a second...somewhere in my crates. Shit was crazy. Good mention. I thought they did their thing on the N.O.R.E. album (all of Nore's Hip Hop albums actually).

Lazy's best joint was on the 41st Side comp. "Crushed Linen"...the Alchemist Dirty Harry beat was lovely.

Littles shit with Tragedy...that ALchemist beat...wow. "Stay (...something...I wanna say "True")"...that was my joint crazy. The Feeding, was that the first mixtape? His first shit was ill to me. THe joint with Rae WAS ill indeed.

Muse n Maze had that early '00's joint with the Neptunes...CNN was on the "remix"...I forget the title...I'll get that shit in a second...somewhere in my crates. Shit was crazy. Good mention. I thought they did their thing on the N.O.R.E. album (all of Nore's Hip Hop albums actually).

Lazy's best joint was on the 41st Side comp. "Crushed Linen"...the Alchemist Dirty Harry beat was lovely.

Stay free.

and you mean Lake.

It's highly unlikely that you (or anyone else for that matter) heard Lazy. And I don't mean that in the way it sounds. I mean that like, he came to 30th, dropped off the cd's, and went back to the bodega never to be seen or heard from again.

Stay free.

and you mean Lake.

It's highly unlikely that you (or anyone else for that matter) heard Lazy. And I don't mean that in the way it sounds. I mean that like, he came to 30th, dropped off the cd's, and went back to the bodega never to be seen or heard from again.

WOOOAAAAH I JUST REALIZED WHO YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT.

LAZY...that kid who was runnin' with G Rap for a moment? Had a crazy joint on that shitty SPIT compilation Stretch put out? "Make Em Jealous" was the name of the shit.

"First of all I ride...live by the code,

Anyone can get it...who ready to die?"

That shit was fuckin' bonkers. I didn't realize he was from QB though. I actually called up Stretch to get the info on that shit...and tell him to play it again.

What about Chinky singing on hooks? Haven't heard anything from her in years.

Noyd had some serious tracks on his two other solos after Episodes, but I wasn't too impressed with his latest release.

But back to this song ...

Listen out cause I'm emptying out for that bling

That watch and that chain put a bullet in your brain

Not a thing, I'm a gangsta, this is what I do

Go to war with the bangers and eat niggas food

When I'm starvin' I'm robbin' that's how it is thun

If I'm lying, I'm flying, word to everything I love

God damn.

Stay free.

and you mean Lake.

Lazy ... don't think I've heard anything from him either. Share a buried gem with us.

WOOOAAAAH I JUST REALIZED WHO YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT.

LAZY...that kid who was runnin' with G Rap for a moment? Had a crazy joint on that shitty SPIT compilation Stretch put out? "Make Em Jealous" was the name of the shit.

"First of all I ride...live by the code,

Anyone can get it...who ready to die?"

That shit was fuckin' bonkers. I didn't realize he was from QB though. I actually called up Stretch to get the info on that shit...and tell him to play it again.

Allright...Holy shit. I don't even know where to start. That was seriously impressive. I'm actually in shock

then again, I think I forgot about that G rap track. He's not from QB though, he's from AQ, Astoria Houses.

I'll see if I can rip that scratched up disk onto my computer and if so, You and Note will get PM'd in the next couple.

See we don't back down we go pound for pound

Tech for tech right on the block emptying clips

Buck something leave motha fuckas hitting the deck

And then one by one motha fuckas be dead

Damn this thread is moving like whoa.

Praise dueeeee...

Nah but I'm equally impressed...that Lazy shit was my joint...I just tried putting the fuckin' SPIT cd in my computer and the shit froze up my whole Windows XP...ahhhh.

"Queens thug, Carharrt jeans

G cap, Force 1's

And I don't care if you like it

You gettin' called son

Everyday on the block

Dimes out, tall guns..."

I even remember showing that shit to our friend Spot-Leezy and he was like "coool..." but he wasn't super-impressed as if it were some new Iman Thug over a LES or Charlemagne beat (one of the best producers from that era...wonder what he's up to now...he went on to do some shit for Shyne which was tough too).

definately a huge QB fan, I remember back in the day tellin people prodigy is better than 2pac lol

He's just so gully you can't help but fuckin' love him.

Cormega is my shit too, I thought that "Love In Love Out" was exceptional, cause he didn't go at Nas' neck, he sat back on some straight from the heart shit and told Nas how he felt about his recent bitchassness..

HNIC is a masterpiece when it comes to Prodigy's lyrical prowless, Can't Complain was my shit for smoking weed to when it first came out.

"I know the routine, don't try to throw me

I been gettin' knocked since 12 and my moms tried to scold me

... but all that told me to get in more shit

ay yo P', (what up) you my co-d, we both get knocked

What you did with that half'a tree? (right in my sock.)"

This thread can't be too big due to the limited QB shit out there, but notable QB material in my book comes from the M-O-B-B, although I always liked Lake, Noyd and Littles for being greasy ass young hungry motherfuckers, I especially liked Lake on that Nas song, Revolutionary Warfare.

QB Songs that touched my heart:

Run DMC: Queens Day

"We grew up on Old English

Summertime Broyal Wilders Park used to be the shit,

why'd it have to stop

On the Ave. niggas blew on all the jewelry spots

Kicked the shirt kings for an ill airbrush top

That'll match my cortez Nike's"

I was all over that Nike Cortez steez back in the 90's, like 8 different pairs.

Cam'ron feat. Prodigy: Moving weight

"Why I feel like I'm losin' weight

Why I ain't got no money, less I'm movin' weight

Why my life depend on what I'mma do today

Why I can't move away"

Really though, Movin weight is probably on any old school cat's top 10 list..

Would Kool G be considered QB?? We all know he represent Queens and Fort Greene where murder machines put M16s in niggas' spleens, but he never really repped THE BRIDGE.

edit: nevermind I forgot DJ Polo was part of the Juice Crew

loving this thread...

i grew up on the west coast but have always had a special love for nyc 90s hip hop...and despite the advent of the internet & what not, there's still only so much knowledge one can gleen. i've learned much in this thread alone, thank you!!!

definately a huge QB fan, I remember back in the day tellin people prodigy is better than 2pac lol

He's just so gully you can't help but fuckin' love him.

Cormega is my shit too, I thought that "Love In Love Out" was exceptional, cause he didn't go at Nas' neck, he sat back on some straight from the heart shit and told Nas how he felt about his recent bitchassness..

HNIC is a masterpiece when it comes to Prodigy's lyrical prowless, Can't Complain was my shit for smoking weed to when it first came out.

"I know the routine, don't try to throw me

I been gettin' knocked since 12 and my moms tried to scold me

... but all that told me to get in more shit

ay yo P', (what up) you my co-d, we both get knocked

What you did with that half'a tree? (right in my sock.)"

This thread can't be too big due to the limited QB shit out there, but notable QB material in my book comes from the M-O-B-B, although I always liked Lake, Noyd and Littles for being greasy ass young hungry motherfuckers, I especially liked Lake on that Nas song, Revolutionary Warfare.

QB Songs that touched my heart:

Run DMC: Queens Day

"We grew up on Old English

Summertime Broyal Wilders Park used to be the shit,

why'd it have to stop

On the Ave. niggas blew on all the jewelry spots

Kicked the shirt kings for an ill airbrush top

That'll match my cortez Nike's"

I was all over that Nike Cortez steez back in the 90's, like 8 different pairs.

Cam'ron feat. Prodigy: Moving weight

"Why I feel like I'm losin' weight

Why I ain't got no money, less I'm movin' weight

Why my life depend on what I'mma do today

Why I can't move away"

Really though, Movin weight is probably on any old school cat's top 10 list..

Would Kool G be considered QB?? We all know he represent Queens and Fort Greene where murder machines put M16s in niggas' spleens, but he never really repped THE BRIDGE.

Woooooow that Cam track. SDE is one of the best things to come outta Harlem.

Back to QB...uh G Rap is debateable...def. not from QB...but who doesn't like G Rap? I'd just stay away from mention unless you were bringing up something that we'd probably be new to.

"Nothin' like Summer in New York"...always have to play that joint when the weather's nice.

Remember Killa Kids? Killa Sha obviously went solo...but they had some shit back in the day...I think I lost the QB mixtape though. DJ Phantom. Good stuff.