Shrinkage advice on Fred Perry UK polo

mrjameskent

Hi

I've done a search but couldn't find anything.

I'm going to pick up one of the made in england Fred Perry polo's (black with fluro green arm stripe and badge).

I'm not sure what size to go with, the 36 is just about right but the 38 is a tad too big. The guy in the shop says they shrink about 5%.

Just wondered if anyone here can tell me how true that is?

Thanks

J

I have three Fred Perry Made In England polos (sz38) and they all fit true to size after washing them normally. Shrinking was very minimal.

I agree. I have 4 made in englands and never had any problem. They maybe have shrunk a small, small amount but nothing too noticeable at all. I also have a vintage made in portugal with a v neck polo and that's been fine too.

But I have one made in asia which i played tennis in and my right sleeve (i'm right-handed) actually stretched a shit load and know flops around disproportionately to the rest of the shirt. Always buy MIE.

I've never washed my MIE, but it is worth noting that a 38 stretches out pretty big. 38 supposedly corresponds to a small, but it's closwer to a M/L now. When I first got it, it fit a lot smaller.

What's your height/weight?

i have a few MIE polos, and they generally dont shrink (not so i have noticed it, anyway).

the one exception to this was when i was away on holiday - i needed to do some washing, and there no other alternative than to machine dry it. it shrunk a lot.

buy your corrrect size, and hang dry.

I've never washed my MIE, but it is worth noting that a 38 stretches out pretty big. 38 supposedly corresponds to a small, but it's closwer to a M/L now. When I first got it, it fit a lot smaller.

What's your height/weight?

I'm 6ft1, probably about 11stone but do weights and gym a lot so quite slim.

I think I'll go with a 36, I only ever hang dry my stuff and never dry in the washing machine. I should be able to stretch it back if it shrinks whilst its damp, no?

I have a couple of 36's and 38 MIE. In addition to the chest size, the 38 is slightly longer in the body. There isnt much difference in the sleeve size, both are fairly closely cut. I agree that stretch is going to be a bigger factor than shrinkage. Prefarably dry flat drip dry.

I'm 6ft1, probably about 11stone but do weights and gym a lot so quite slim.

I think I'll go with a 36, I only ever hang dry my stuff and never dry in the washing machine. I should be able to stretch it back if it shrinks whilst its damp, no?

36 is probably going to be too small for you. I'm 5'11" and "10.4 stones" and 38 is perfect for a snug fit (I have a 37" chest). Not to mention it may be a bit too short as pirsig mentioned. Although, I've compared 38" MIE to 40" MIE and while the length in this instance was virtually the same on both, the sleeves were noticably 1-2cm shorter.

IMO, 36 in MIE is going to be skin tight on you no matter how you look at it... not to mention the sleeves and overall length might be too short on you.