Dress up a pair of jeans?

nrvus

get a blazer,kenneth coles and claiborne got some nice ones,black or striped check your local macys, its about that time too.fall season. shoes see if you can find some nice leather/casual shoes. visvims are pretty nice. kinda pricey, but im sure there are others that offer similar for less.

Edited by soleindahole on Sep 12, 2005 at 11:57 PM

personally, i'm not a fan of the whole blazer n' jeans look...i mean, i'm not normally one to let what other people do bother me in terms of dressing myself, but it's just become such a 'thing' to dress up and still wear a pair of jeans, that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when i see it.

that being said, you should definitely wear, like, expensive loafers, DO NOT roll them up to show selvedge, none-too-loud shirt and maybe go sans blazer, even. it's important to not look too much like you're going, 'HEY LOOK AT MY JEANS! LOOK AT ME IM DRESSED UP BUT IM STILL WEARING JEANS! HUH? HUH? AREN'T I DARING?!'

down-play

Edited by boystory on Sep 13, 2005 at 01:14 AM

a blazer has practical purposes when it's a bit nippy outside. i wear a blazer over a polo shirt, a button down shirt, a sweater, etc.,. and jeans, cords, trousers, etc.,. it's not considered "dress up" to me as i will either wear this on a weekday or a weekend. the point is to be comfortable in your own skin, not to look "dress up" or "dress down".

why do you have to wear expensive loafers? why do you have to wear expensive anything? just buy quality clothes that fit you and wear them with a common sense.

you guys are thinking too hard about this.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Yeah totally agree. Your jeans shouldn't be the center of attention, you should be. So I would have to agree with Tragic and get some raw/dry/simple/non-faded/slighty-faded/muted jeans. When you wear a blazer, you want to focus attention to it because that is what frames "you". Plus, don't just wear your suit blazer meant for work, cuz typically, especially American designers tend to design their blazers wide, broad shouldered which looks "off" against a pair of sharp/tight jeans. Its all about balance, so either invest in a tighter more fitted blazer or sans the blazer. In addition, I recommend a t-shirt rather than a fitted-shirt, but that's my own opinion.

Quote:

a blazer has practical purposes when it's a bit nippy outside. i wear a blazer over a polo shirt, a button down shirt, a sweater, etc.,. and jeans, cords, trousers, etc.,. it's not considered "dress up" to me as i will either wear this on a weekday or a weekend. the point is to be comfortable in your own skin, not to look "dress up" or "dress down".

why do you have to wear expensive loafers? why do you have to wear expensive anything? just buy quality clothes that fit you and wear them with a common sense.

--- Original message by darknworn on Sep 13, 2005 02:35 AM

dont mind these idiots darkworkn, theyre fad whores. yeah blazers is so practical, jeans+ blazers been paired up for ages,even my dad has been doin that. it still looks fresh and modern today. boystory probably think its some new fad going on since he saw adam levine and kanye west wearing it on a music video. lol

Edited by soleindahole on Sep 13, 2005 at 09:05 AM

I've read somewhere that wearing blazers should be no effort at all. Just like slipping in to a pair of jeans or a worn leather jacket. Wearing blazers with jeans totally works for me, and yeah agree that the slimmer cut has more style. I'm not a Wall St. kind of guy.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by darknworn on Sep 13, 2005 02:35 AM

dont mind these idiots darkworkn, theyre fad whores. yeah blazers is so practical, jeans+ blazers been paired up for ages,even my dad has been doin that. it still looks fresh and modern today. boystory probably think its some new fad going on since he saw adam levine and kanye west wearing it on a music video. lol

Edited by soleindahole on Sep 13, 2005 at 09:05 AM

--- Original message by soleindahole on Sep 13, 2005 09:04 AM

hey cmon now.

obviously they've been paired for ages...that being said, it *is* a very current'ish thing to do...you said it yourself, with kanye and adam levine, not to mention...uh...everyone else in every music video.

like i said, that's more of my problem with the look: the fact that it's so ubiquitous with *trying* to look cool, that it kind of spoils the fun.

frankly, do whatever you want, but this was an advice thread and i gave mine. i didn't feel like i was being too malicious or insulting, what i meant by the 'expensive loafers' thing was to stay away from sneakers or 'dirty' looking stuff, because the intention is to 'dress up', right?

blazers are nice if they fit you well, if they are boxy or too big i think they loookkkk mad lame.

they are a nice protection against not cold, but that chilly weather, yet wearing a blazer every excuse you get gets boring adn redundant.

ive allways been a fan of the blazer, but i havent been a fan of the whole 35 yeaR OLd metro sexual look with the seven jeans, striped button down shirt and a pin stripe blazer that gets worn every sing effing day

yet no matter how it is worn it allways adds a little bit of interest to many outfits so i do reccomend the blazer

chwa?

there seems to be an unwritten rule that you cant sepearte a suit and use the jacket as a blazer. If you check out the style mags they do it all of the time. they pick one suit, pair of jeans, shirt etc...they try to form as many comninations as possible. In the most recent gq they took a 3 piece suit and made a few outfits with the suit a casual, businesss, business casual... So whats the deal. I have a new pair of APC rescues to match with. this is what i have, a 3 button charcol grey suit jacket one with side vents and another with no vents. another other option is a 3 button blue stripped jacket with hacking(slanting) pockets and side vents. another 3 button black thin stripped jacket with no vents, and the simple navy blue 3 button with side vents.

any suggestions???

Assuming that your rescues are still deep blue, your best bet is black, BUT your stripped jacket has no vents which will make the look somewhat "off". I would definitely try to coordinate with the jackets with the best fit and those that have side vents. Also, all your jackets are three buttons, which depending on the cut and styling may be too conservative and also make the look "off". You can always tell that I guy doesn't "get it" if he just pairs his regular no vents boxy 3 button work blazer with some jeans. I'm not saying that happens in all cases but you gotta make the look relaxed and comfortable, not stuffy or clumsy. That said, simple navy with deep blue will be somewhat difficult unless you can offset the too much blue with a constrasting shirt/t-shirt in a complementary color. If you can't afford a seperate blazer; black, side vents, slim fit/not boxy, then I would go with the charcol grey and accent the blue and grey with a wild color t-shirt/shirt like hot pink/neon green, etc, or a simple white/yellow, etc... I dunno, just throwing out ideas. Either the grey or the blue stripped jacket with red or black or dark colored/pattern t-shirt/shirt. These are just my opinions though, so don't interpret them as written in stone.