washing 501 STFs

ironskulls

Dry clean would keep them stiff and you'd not lose indigo. It's a good, albeit expensive, way to clean jeans without getting them wet (not recommended for jeans with leather patch labels).

Otherwise depends how dirty they are. If they aren't very dirty just a cold water soak will be OK. If they are greasey with stuff like food stains, then you may want to use multiple soaks in soapy water & cold rinses - all without wringing the jeans. If you're fussy, choose a mild, simple soap like Bronners (no enzyme, no phosphate, PH neutral), but don't get too hung up about it. Just turn them inside out before washing, and dry whilst inside out too.

Soaking them will make them less "grey" and shiny,

compared to a unwashed pair,

they will shrink a bit too.

but they wont be as nasty looking as like a pair of washed jeans,

washed like how you would normally wash clothes, with soap, washermachine, dryer etc...

ill take some pics of all three when i get home today.

grimey retarded

its hard to tell because the light is weaker in the first two pictures.. but they turned alot bluer and darker from the wash. they were more shiny and silver/ greyish before i washed em. now theyre jsut really dark blue. maybe its just me i dunno.

Edited by adsurgo on Sep 8, 2005 at 03:06 PM

i washed them in a warm water cycle then sun dried. they shrank probably 2 inches in the length and 1 in the waist. which is actually less than they couldve. i assume they have shrinkage left. for you, id recommend washing in cold water light cycle then sun drying. the shrinking happened from the warm water and the color changing so much happened from the warm water. if i had to doit over again id do cold short cycle.