question about coloado.

Brienneoftarth

most of my family has moved out to Colorado in this past year and I'm thinking of going too just for fun. I just graduated college with an english degree but am looking to get into something different. I've been thinking about getting involved in advertising, but really am open to any suggestions for a creative field that doesn't require any more education. Anybody live in Denver or BOulder and have any advice or info on what its like out there?

I've lived in Denver almost my entire life (except for college), so here's what I see...Creativity is hard to find. Everything from restaurants to fashion to music seems a few years behind other 'trend cities' As far as jobs are concerned, most revolve around big companies, chains, technology, and health care. There are many smaller 'boutique' advertising/creative firms (i think the largest being McClain/Finlon) but are difficult to get into unless you have previous experience. I don't know much about Boulder, but more seems to be happening there as far as creativity. Otherwise, it's a great place to live if you enjoy the outdoors and enjoy a big city that is not too spread out.

I almost forgot to mention shopping! It's almost all malls but there are a few spots that are trying something different.

Although I hate on the lack of resources in this city, I still love it to death. Lemme know if you want more info.

I'm so self-conscious...

im from boulder-now living on southern california. i have more general advice:

everybody seems to want to be in advertising and marketing (thats what my degrees are in) but really the marketing jobs out there are sales. to get your foot in the door at a pr or advertising firm isnt impossible but dont plan on writing copy.

not to discourage but i have seen my friends go down that path. if your career is your #1 proirity i would recommend ny, la, sf, chicago, atl, mia. bigger internation scenes. but there are a lot of growing businesses in the denver metro area

thanks alot guys. Yeah, im a bit confused on what i'd like to do. I was an english major in college but definitely don't want to pursue a career in higher education. I've maintained a steady interest in music/fashion/media for most of my life so i'd like to go somewhere in that direction but I'm pretty much completely unknowledgeable about how to do so. I actually spoke to a guy in advertising who worked for Spike Lee's firm (which was a division of some big company) and he basically said you need to develop a portfolio in order to get hired. I was kind of nervous so I didn't really ask the pertitent questions, but how does one go about developing a portfolio? Do people just make up ads like an artistic portofilio? or is it developed like a resume through numerous jobs (presumably starting with internships)? I was thinking Denver or Boulder might be a good place to start because they would be smaller markets making them possibly less competitive as well as more receptive to hire an unexperienced New Yorker than other major cities would be. Any information anybody in advertising or related areas could offer would be appreciated.