Going to Paris over new years, where to stay?

boyabouttown

I'm taking my girlfriend to Paris over new years, my christmas present to her, but I have no idea where in Paris you should stay. Never been to Paris before. Anyone knows about any good hotels? Just remember, I'm paying for the whole thing so no designer-hotels please ;)

Also, where's the best shopping, around Le avenue des champs-élysées? :confused:

Thanks!

/Magnus

around the champs elysées? you won't find anything very interesting on the avenue itself (you'll find Gap, Zara, Nike, Adidas and other brands you can find everywhere else). The Hugo Boss and the Vuitton stores are worth the visit though. There's also a sort of department store called Le 66 that carries a few cool things (but the store itself is trying too hard to be hip, which is annoying)

Nearby, you have the avenue Montaigne, but if you really want to go shopping here, you'll have to find a VERY cheap hotel.

If you want some nice shopping, you may go near the rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré/ rue Saint Honoré (but then again, it's rather expensive), or around Saint Germain des Prés.

The rue Etienne Marcel (and a few streets around it) is a good place for shopping too (and cheaper than the previous ones).

For the hotels, I don't really know, but I think that you'll have to look for something in the close suburbs (some of them being very easily accessible by the metro). Hotels in Paris are probably loaded for this period.

How much time are you planning to stay? (and btw, don't forget to visit the museums!;))

around the champs elysées? you won't find anything very interesting on the avenue itself (you'll find Gap, Zara, Nike, Adidas and other brands you can find everywhere else). The Hugo Boss and the Vuitton stores are worth the visit though. There's also a sort of department store called Le 66 that carries a few cool things (but the store itself is trying too hard to be hip, which is annoying)

Nearby, you have the avenue Montaigne, but if you really want to go shopping here, you'll have to find a VERY cheap hotel.

If you want some nice shopping, you may go near the rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré/ rue Saint Honoré (but then again, it's rather expensive), or around Saint Germain des Prés.

The rue Etienne Marcel (and a few streets around it) is a good place for shopping too (and cheaper than the previous ones).

For the hotels, I don't really know, but I think that you'll have to look for something in the close suburbs (some of them being very easily accessible by the metro). Hotels in Paris are probably loaded for this period.

How much time are you planning to stay? (and btw, don't forget to visit the museums!;))

• 3 weeks later...

Kiliwatch (near Kokon To Zai) has a nice vintage section.

There is also a great vintage store near the Musée Beaubourg (but I don't remember name/adress).

check out Royal Cheese too, it's in the same street than Kokon and Kiliwatch (and there's another one in the rue Mandar nearby). it carries mostly Cheap Monday, A77 and Stussy.

There's also La Boutique (rue Française, near all these stores), that carries Fred Perry, A77 and other stuff like this (but the staff is constantly asleep, which is annoying).

Noir Kennedy is also good, in the Marais