The Desert Boots Thread

poopie boy

it says on the box of those dude, like $900.

I wish I could pull off Chukkas but they just don't suit me. I always like the way the Alden of Carmel ones look but know they wouldn't be as slim and pleasing in person.

it says on the box of those dude, like $900.

I wish I could pull off Chukkas but they just don't suit me. I always like the way the Alden of Carmel ones look but know they wouldn't be as slim and pleasing in person.

Whats the deal with Trickers? School me please. :(

Very nice boots..but not all of them would be considered desert boots.

Desert boots are made a matte leather (Like suede, nubuck or other non-leather materials) that are cut Iike a chukka boot. The reason is that the desert environment would show more wear on a leather chukka then on a suede chukka and people used to prefer the lighter suede boot while out on the sand or on safari...Its a summer boot....Traditionally, if the leather is shiny, its a chukka boot. If its not, its likely a desert chukka boot....there are some exceptions of course.

Very nice boots..but not all of them would be considered desert boots.

Desert boots are made a matte leather (Like suede, nubuck or other non-leather materials) that are cut Iike a chukka boot. The reason is that the desert environment would show more wear on a leather chukka then on a suede chukka and people used to prefer the lighter suede boot while out on the sand or on safari...Its a summer boot....Traditionally, if the leather is shiny, its a chukka boot. If its not, its likely a desert chukka boot....there are some exceptions of course.

I think you're a bit off here (if not totally wrong). They are called Desert Boots because British soldiers wore them in the desert during World War II. Desert Boots are unlined, and have crepe soles and are usually made of suede. Being made of suede is not a qualifying factor though. Plenty of Chukka boots are made of suede and they are definitely not considered desert boots. Chukka boots will have leather soles or Dainite rubber soles. Most of the boots in this thread thus far are Chukka's, not desert boots.

actually the desert boot was invented by clarks in the 1950's according to some internetz source. It was inspired by the streets of Cairo. The Chukka boot is derived from polo players boots.

Yeah this is getting a little more to the point. The "Desert Boot", invented by Clarks, was inspired by crepe soled boots that English WWII soldiers acquired in Egypt.

Anyway, based on every single google hit, your ballistic shits look like Japan exclusive. Just get someone to proxy them for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they the opening ceremony grey desert boots? Look kinda similar.

I thought i remember looking for them a few weeks ago and this site (sorry i can't rememeber) had a pair or two.

Dude this thread is about different styles and where to cop. Thus being in superSHOPPER. This is not about the origin of the style, stop cluttering the thread. Post pics or tips on where to cop.

personally, i'd prefer to know a little bit of history behind what I'm buying, so I don't mind the discussion.

on a side note - anyone else find crepe soles ugly?