state your beer, drinkers

I'm glad you liked it. It was hard shopping for you since we have a lot of overlapping distribution and everytime I saw something I wanted to send you, I had to check to see if it was distributed in your area like LA angel's share, Firestone Walker, KBS, etc

The sly fox beers are really good and the cans are really convenient for camping and tailgating for those of us that can get them regularly

Well KBS is distributed here, but my local store said they got less than half of what they got last year, and I wasn't very proactive, so no KBS for me this year.

I wasn't even aware of Voodoo brewery, but I look forward to that massive imperial stout before the cold weather is gone (and my beer hiatus is over)

Pics from this week..

Random beers I had while I was here:

dscn2094d.jpg

Stone Ruination dry hopped with Simcoe on cask

dscn2095v.jpg

Fresh Sculpin :D

dscn2103c.jpg

Goose Island Lolita

dscn2104j.jpg

Hair of the Dog Fred

dscn2105.jpg

Cigar City Jai Alai

dscn2122y.jpg

Firestone Walker Double Jack

Some new pickups:

dscn2210.jpg

GI Juliet, GI Madame Rose, Southampton Cuvee des Fleurs

dscn2211b.jpg

Founders Breakfast Stout, Firestone Walker Abacus, CL Smoke from the Oak (Laird's Apple Brandy variation).. also finally got the bottle of 2005 JW Lees Harvest Ale that I left at home a couple months ago.

Yeah you should definitely go see Jean Van Roy. He is the fucking Godfather. As good as Vinnie Cilurzo at Russian River, Jean has been doing this for practically his entire life, and he makes some of the best beer in the world. If you are even remotely interested in sour beer, so check it out.

Now for the tasting we had last night.. it was pretty awesome, drank some great beers :D

The lineup of everything + the awesome cheese we had:

dscn2129w.jpg

dscn2130j.jpg

Some snapshots of specific beers..

dscn2141l.jpg

2009 East End Gratitude.. probably my favorite beer all night. It's hands down the best barleywine I've ever had.

dscn2148.jpg

CC batch 1 Hunaphu

dscn2149.jpg

Pelican Brewing Mother of All Storms.. this is only a few months old and after having Gratitude this was pretty hard to get through.. definitely needs some age.

dscn2152r.jpg

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

dscn2156.jpg

Firestone Walker Abacus

dscn2163o.jpg

Sierra Nevada 2007 Bigfoot (sup youkinorn :D )

dscn2178v.jpg

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti.. can never go wrong with this stuff.

The aftermath.. this was the order in which we drank everything:

dscn2187g.jpg

CL 5 Years Later Ale, CC Vuja De, 2011 LeBleu, 2008 Brute, Alpine Exponential Hoppiness, CC Cedar Aged Jai Alai (this tasted like straight wood), 2009 Gratitude, 2010 Hunaphu, 2011 Mother of All Storms, Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, 2011 Abacus, 2007 Bigfoot, Espresso Oak Aged Yeti

Three of us decided to go to a couple of bars because they had Hill Farmstead on tap. Not the best decision considering how I felt this morning (haha) but got to drink some more great beer:

dscn2190b.jpg

Hill Farmstead Edward

dscn2194x.jpg

De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva 2009

dscn2195i.jpg

De Dolle again and Hill Farmstead Harlan

dscn2200w.jpg

The bartender gave us this for free.. Dugges Never Mind the Bollox!

^Tried my first two Firestone beers this week (Double Jack and Abacus). Both were solid. Should've bought more Abacus to bring home.

Drank a couple of these tonight:

0327012344.jpg

Coconut wasn't there at all, was hoping for a big flavor. Definitely a good porter though, super dry, really roasted.. I could session quite a few of them.

So, I'm going to make a day trip down to Philadelphia soon to pick up some bottles (seeing as though I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in NY). Would be interested in buying bottles, not cases, which I know can be an issue in PA. What are the best stores to check out?

Read about Craft Beer Outlet and The Foodery on BA.

Yeah, leaving here early on Saturday and planning on going to Bullfrog -> Troegs -> Sly Fox & Iron Hill in Phoenixville -> beer store in Hatfield -> Weyerbacher, then back to Ithaca. If things are moving slower than expect I'll probably skip Sly Fox or Weyerbacher.

Anyway, I'm assuming I'll be near Philly (Phoenixville/Hatfield) around 4-5pm. If you're down to meet, let me know. If anything I'll bring some RR with me to the Hill Farmstead event at RnH.

5570385514_f26e947abd.jpg

went to the meet the brewer event at stone, was pretty packed so we only got our 4 tasters then left.

classic gueze

cuvee des champions

kriek

Rosé de Gambrinus

5569798353_73437e215b.jpg

afterwards headed to neighborhood where this ended up being the only picture taken. lots of pliny and sculpin was consumed.

Renski,

Speaking of Krieks, I've tried a few now and I don't know if I'm looking in the right places for a good one. I'm trying to like them but I keep getting Krieks that taste like soda-beer. I can't mail-order beer in MD. Any recommendations?