G-Star Raw...

dogthomson

I like G-Star, they fit me really well. I did buy a pair of the dry denim, not sure what the cut is called, but I've only worn them a few times so can't really say how they wear in.

I am not sure what witts meant, but I agree that G-Star are cut similarly to Diesel and are in the same price range. You could also argue that Energie fall into this category, IMO.

okay just going to weigh in real quick here ... on the subject of low-end designer jeans, since nobody around here seems willing to admit they live on a budget ...

i don't have the budget for real expensive japanese denim, and i don't believe in buying without trying, and i don't travel, so i end up buying what's available in my (relatively) hickish town (surprisingly hickish for a town of almost 2 million) ... which in my case is energie + gstar.

i was really into energie a few years ago, they had three nice jeans i really liked, one was called the MAJOR (now discontinued), one was called the REGENT and one was called the LOOSE MORRIS.

the MAJOR is like your generic full-leg cut, sort of like the APC english cut, from what i can tell. when i got them they certainly weren't dry denim but they weren't distressed at all either, just a nice super-dark all-over indigo wash. these things were / are tough as all fucking hell. i wore one pair of these to work pretty much every single day from last august until this past may, and i work standing up, in food service, restaurant kitchen style, long shifts. and i've worn them for lots of clubbing, too.

unfortunately, because they were washed and not dry, they didn't really wear at all - they've just sort of faded and have some pretty subtle distressing lines around the pockets and where i keep my wallet. but they're tough as fuck - no holes or anything, anywhere, the seams are doing fine, i even wear them so the hem drags on the floor sometimes and the hem hasn't worn through yet.

the other two are a little more "fashion", both are bootleg cut, the regent is slimmer w/ a more aggressive bootcut and the loose morris is sort of hard to describe but it's really subtle and cut pretty long, sort of like APC jeans, i think (my gf who is an APC fiend says they're her favorite). these i bought washed but again very subtle - the regent i think is still available, it's this very dirty brownish wash, the straight morris is washed indigo, it's a very tough denim and looks a million miles away from any holes or anything - the wash on these is unfortunately sort of retarded - the wear on the pockets right at the top of the hips doesn't match the amount of wear around the knees - but if i wear a sweater or jacket, which i usually do, or an untucked fitted shirt it's just long enough that it covers it up enough. even a tshirt is ok, but i wouldn't wear these with a tucked dress shirt and no jacket, that's for sure.

now i haven't bought any energie jeans for about three years now, because i go into the store, take a peek around, find the energie jeans, and they're all cut in some sort of shitty stretch denim material. so i take it up to the really metrosexual south african clerks and it's useless, these guys practically don't speak english, they're like martians or some shit. "they come in different denims" they say, as if that explains it. so anyway ... and recently more and more the energie jeans have been leaning heavily towards beat stupid looking over-distressed styles, really trashy, the sort you see in their fashion mag ads, and using cheap denim and thin denim, and stretch denim ... also every season they're slowly but surely increasing the low-rise-ness of the jeans ... i have no idea why, maybe so all the fratboys w/ beerguts can look extra-stupid in their untucked ben sherman bias-cut longsleeves ...

to summarize - energie gets talked a lot of shit around here but i think it really comes down to three things

1) really retarded over-done cheesy, tacky distressing

2) coupled w/ a tendency towards using cheap denim and very exaggerated tacky low-rise cuts

3) the selvedge is tough, but not pretty. it's generally red, i think, and not particularly neatly stitched, it's sort of all over the place.

OK - BUT ... if you can find an energie jean that is done in good denim - and they DO still exist, though they are far outnumbered by the ones done in stretch and done in thin overwashed denim - and that isn't distressed

okay just going to weigh in real quick here ... on the subject of low-end designer jeans, since nobody around here seems willing to admit they live on a budget ...

i don't have the budget for real expensive japanese denim, and i don't believe in buying without trying, and i don't travel, so i end up buying what's available in my (relatively) hickish town (surprisingly hickish for a town of almost 2 million) ... which in my case is energie + gstar.

i was really into energie a few years ago, they had three nice jeans i really liked, one was called the MAJOR (now discontinued), one was called the REGENT and one was called the LOOSE MORRIS.

the MAJOR is like your generic full-leg cut, sort of like the APC english cut, from what i can tell. when i got them they certainly weren't dry denim but they weren't distressed at all either, just a nice super-dark all-over indigo wash. these things were / are tough as all fucking hell. i wore one pair of these to work pretty much every single day from last august until this past may, and i work standing up, in food service, restaurant kitchen style, long shifts. and i've worn them for lots of clubbing, too.

unfortunately, because they were washed and not dry, they didn't really wear at all - they've just sort of faded and have some pretty subtle distressing lines around the pockets and where i keep my wallet. but they're tough as fuck - no holes or anything, anywhere, the seams are doing fine, i even wear them so the hem drags on the floor sometimes and the hem hasn't worn through yet.

the other two are a little more "fashion", both are bootleg cut, the regent is slimmer w/ a more aggressive bootcut and the loose morris is sort of hard to describe but it's really subtle and cut pretty long, sort of like APC jeans, i think (my gf who is an APC fiend says they're her favorite). these i bought washed but again very subtle - the regent i think is still available, it's this very dirty brownish wash, the straight morris is washed indigo, it's a very tough denim and looks a million miles away from any holes or anything - the wash on these is unfortunately sort of retarded - the wear on the pockets right at the top of the hips doesn't match the amount of wear around the knees - but if i wear a sweater or jacket, which i usually do, or an untucked fitted shirt it's just long enough that it covers it up enough. even a tshirt is ok, but i wouldn't wear these with a tucked dress shirt and no jacket, that's for sure.

now i haven't bought any energie jeans for about three years now, because i go into the store, take a peek around, find the energie jeans, and they're all cut in some sort of shitty stretch denim material. so i take it up to the really metrosexual south african clerks and it's useless, these guys practically don't speak english, they're like martians or some shit. "they come in different denims" they say, as if that explains it. so anyway ... and recently more and more the energie jeans have been leaning heavily towards beat stupid looking over-distressed styles, really trashy, the sort you see in their fashion mag ads, and using cheap denim and thin denim, and stretch denim ... also every season they're slowly but surely increasing the low-rise-ness of the jeans ... i have no idea why, maybe so all the fratboys w/ beerguts can look extra-stupid in their untucked ben sherman bias-cut longsleeves ...

to summarize - energie gets talked a lot of shit around here but i think it really comes down to three things

1) really retarded over-done cheesy, tacky distressing

2) coupled w/ a tendency towards using cheap denim and very exaggerated tacky low-rise cuts

3) the selvedge is tough, but not pretty. it's generally red, i think, and not particularly neatly stitched, it's sort of all over the place.

OK - BUT ... if you can find an energie jean that is done in good denim - and they DO still exist, though they are far outnumbered by the ones done in stretch and done in thin overwashed denim - and that isn't distressed