Handmade Leather Goods for Sale (wallets etc.)

corter

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm waiting for my first Corter pieces to arrive, I'm thinking about tanning, oiling, etc. With my previous untanned item (Sugar Cane belt), I just applied mink oil to it and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. How have people been treating before using Corter's items? I am thinking a good 3-4 hour tan with maybe two coats of mink oil will be sufficient, but any other suggestions?

My Corter regular wallet (from his sale) and rein came in today. First thoughts, in no particular order:

It definitely looks handmade. You can tell they are one of a kind. I do like the Corter embossing on the inside and in my opinion, the dimensions for the most part are right on.

The credit card slot/holder might be glued on unless I'm just not seeing how it is attached, which I really hope will hold up for the future. Also, I can't seem to get a regular size credit card to stay inside the wallet on the top-most slot. It sticks out of the wallet a little bit, but I'm hoping once it has been tanned and oiled it will be more forgiving and spacious. I kind of wish there was a clear slot for an ID but I will definitely get used to the design.

The rein is made very well. I got the black one (single, not double braid) and it is the perfect length. I oiled it up today so it is not as stiff, and the hardware seems very strong. I took off the keyring that attaches to the hook for the belt as it looks a little out of place with no keys on it, but again, nice looking hardware.

The prices cannot be beat for quality. There are a lot of other opinions for wallets/reins, not only here but RedMoon/ Flat Head/etc but I really do think Corter has a great product and his service is top notch. Can't wait to post pictures in the leather evo thread and I think in a few months I'll be back for a custom mid length.

yea the card holers are sewed on, just look on the inside of the bill slot. i wouldn't do that to you guys, it wouldn't hold for more than a day!

with the card sticking out: the pocket should stretch out as you use it, i make them tight on purpose becase if they're looks when you start, you'll have cc's falling all over the place in a couple months.as it loosens they usually move down a little bit, and here might be some glue still stuck onthe inside so don't be afraid to shove a card in there and disconnect the leftover glue. if this doesn't work out in the near future you can send it back to me and i'll fix it for you, it's pretty easy to fix.

yea man, i'm still recovering from my computer failure/replacement, i should be able to order a hide this weekend for belts. probably mid march, around 15-20th some time.

new wallets should be coming then soon btw, i'm clearing my custom list soon so i'll be back to making stuff for the site. it was a nice little creative vacation :)

i'll only have regular belts in for a while, it's hard to find a decent hide to cut premius from as the thicker leather usually doesn't come in super nice hides. i'm on the lookout- regular belts should be in next week some time/possibly the end of this week.

if you'd like a regular belt, please pm me, i'd like an idea of how many i need to order :)

rob- there's a tool you can get to "tighten" it more, basically what's happening is the leather's wearing in, and the snap isn't loosening so much as the leather is compressing. the snap is sort of sandwhiched on, so as the leather gets a bit thinner with wear it will seem to loosen, which it really is not.

unless it's a faulty snap, it won't fall off. however, if it bothers you, your best bet is to get the setter and anvil set that comes in this little package:

http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=3630-00

it's the cheapest one that will get the job done, good quality (they're all just pieces of solid metal), plus it's nice to have some snaps to add to bags etc. I don't use these on wallets, but i keep some around for every day use. you just need a hammer other than this set, i can hook you up with a picture of how to get it tighter.

rest assured, if it does fall off I will replace it for you at no charge as long as you include the one that fell off.

the tool is probably the best route to tighten it back up if it's bothering you, as it may loosen a bit more. happened on my wallet too, it's been loose for a long time, but it's never fallen off :)

el salvador: glad you like it man, i'll be carrying something similar soon :)