before i down my cash on some new standards

kiz

i want to see what else is available in a similar cut/price range for my selvage interests. i have some rescues now but i want to see what else is out there besides APC.

if you guys could give some recommendations (along with how to get them in the US) i'd be really greatful :)

Quote:

i want to see what else is available in a similar cut/price range for my selvage interests. i have some rescues now but i want to see what else is out there besides APC.

if you guys could give some recommendations (along with how to get them in the US) i'd be really greatful :)

--- Original message by kiz on Aug 12, 2005 06:15 PM

Levis vintage collection is in the same price range

also check ebay for stuff too.

Quote:

Nothing is going to fit like apc and be made of selvage denim in the same price range, even with the raised prices. Others that have a similar fit will be in the $200 range. LVC jeans are all regular rise unless they are modified with a dropped waist.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Aug 12, 2005 09:49 PM

This is one of the reasons why I don't like LVC. The rise is too high!

Does anyone here know of other jean companies that specialize in modern cuts for men in the dry selvage form?

i'm not sure i like the detailinging on the back pockets of nudie. and they're more expensive than APC and Julian Red for what i'm not sure is better quality.

also what shoes would go well with slimmer jeans? i want something outside of the standard converse low top. i was thinking maybe a chukka boot (what color do you think?) or jack purcells.

Quote:

i think i'm gonna go with the Detroits from Julian Red. They're $140 shipped to my door. what do you guys think of the quality of these compared to APC new standards

--- Original message by kiz on Aug 18, 2005 01:54 PM

Where/how are you getting them? They should be slightly less tight/more baggy or whatever than the NS's.

tally-hoo

i just contacted them through the email address on the website. so these jeans are somewhere inbetween rescue and new standard? that sounds ok...maybe i should look at california or hoboken. there's not a lot of information on the site. which is tightest?

wowow bandwagon. Yes, JR will email them directly to you. I did this early this year, ruined my first pair, then did it again.

here is the rundown on Julian Red:

Detroit is baggier than rescue.

California is skinnier than Standard, is more tapered at the bottom, has a *slightly* higher rise

Pros of California:

Roomy in the crotch

Great fit around thighs/calves

Very slubby denim, cool stitching color, straight yolk is masculine

Good looking color, decent dying. More midnight blue with more green than purple

Excellent price

Cons of California:

Denim quality doesn't compare to Nudie RRDS, not quite as good as recent APC

Too much room in crotch creates a bulge thats not very natural looking

Now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon

IF given the choice, I would go with the JRs, but thats only because everyone and their mom has APCs, and I already have several pairs and I'm getting sick of seeing the same color all the time. A year or two ago, I would have said APC based off of fit alone.

Quote:

wowow bandwagon. Yes, JR will email them directly to you. I did this early this year, ruined my first pair, then did it again.

here is the rundown on Julian Red:

Detroit is baggier than rescue.

California is skinnier than Standard, is more tapered at the bottom, has a *slightly* higher rise

Pros of California:

Roomy in the crotch

Great fit around thighs/calves

Very slubby denim, cool stitching color, straight yolk is masculine

Good looking color, decent dying. More midnight blue with more green than purple

Excellent price

Cons of California:

Denim quality doesn't compare to Nudie RRDS, not quite as good as recent APC

Too much room in crotch creates a bulge thats not very natural looking

Now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon

IF given the choice, I would go with the JRs, but thats only because everyone and their mom has APCs, and I already have several pairs and I'm getting sick of seeing the same color all the time. A year or two ago, I would have said APC based off of fit alone.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Aug 19, 2005 03:00 PM

i like how 'now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon' is a con.

nothing is any good if other people know about it

Edited by boystory on Aug 19, 2005 at 05:12 PM

i have rescues now and they feel pretty damn baggy to me but the waist is too big on them anyway. i'm not sure whether i'd be good for the california though if they're tighter than the new standards but i want a tighter jean. i guess i'll try it out. are they significantly tighter than new standards? it'd be nice to have some variety instead of two pairs of APC but you're making it sound like APCs are a better jean (and the lower rise is nice)

they just showcased APC's on a good morning America or show of that nature that had a denim segment this morning

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]