The Effects of Anti-Consumerism

graphrhythm

Quote: What we need to see is that consumption is not about conformity, it’s about distinction. People consume in order to set themselves apart from others. To show that they are cooler (Nike shoes), better connected (the latest nightclub), better informed (single-malt Scotch), morally superior (Guatemalan handcrafts), or just plain richer (bmws).

That's what I like about APC. It makes simple and ordinary products, not pretentious or something you show-off. The extraordinary about it is the value, the quality, the practical side, not the image. Hardly anyone will distinguish APC, know how much you paid for it, etc.

Quote: Once too many people get on the bandwagon, it forces the early adopters to get off, in order to preserve their distinction.

People surely don't like mainstream. But not buying something solely because it is mainstream is basing your choices on other people.

Edited by Geowu on Aug 11, 2005 at 03:49 PM

very interesting article. nice to have some intelectual banter in this site. getting pretty bored of "what color is the slevadge on your denim."

makes me think. i agree with a lot of the article then i realize that my business is selling $60 tshirts. and i take solace in the fact that they are quality, well designed, we are a small company making our way, etc. but still at the core we are just selling people shit they dont need.

i hate the way of thinking (much of this in the us) where people say: "this is what i need to do, someone else will make a change." this type of thinking is perpetually fucking up the environment, politics, people/corporations desiring to make money any way possible, etc.

This is the best post I've seen yet on this board.

Brilliant article. Thanks for sharing... I have a lot of great personal philosophies to debate. I wanna go on a rant but I think I have to wait a little bit....

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

Very good article.

"What we need to see is that consumption is not about conformity, it’s about distinction. People consume in order to set themselves apart from others. To show that they are cooler (Nike shoes), better connected (the latest nightclub), better informed (single-malt Scotch), morally superior (Guatemalan handcrafts), or just plain richer (bmws)."

I'd have to say that this statement reflects 99.9% of superfuture posters, with me included.

Interesting stuff. I particularly like the points about (monetarily) purchased 'social status' aggravating people who attained (created?) that status by having the nous to get in there first...rings very true to me. I'm also going to have to watch Fight Club again, cause I don't remember that "Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes..." bit but I've long been convinced that most of us spend the majority of our waking hours in jobs that make us miserable so that we can earn money to buy shit* that makes us feel better about having to spend the majority of our waking hours in jobs that make us miserable. Work > consume > reproduce > die Nada. It's a system we've built for ourselves and can't get out of because we're so conditioned that most of us can only actually be happy when we're consuming in some way. It starts at birth and it's pretty close to being impossible to break. The thrill in getting something that you want (and knowing that it cost money) is one of the earliest things you learn. But fuck it. A walk in the park or a sunset might be free (or is it? is leisure time also purchased, albeit indirectly?), but whether the utility created by consuming is a purchased experience or not it's still utility and it's still from an experience.

*Name your poison: Sneakers, jeans, records, gadgets, drinks, drugs, cars...etc

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Aug 11, 2005 at 11:59 PM

All I can say is really, I just try to find extreme exhilaration that doesn't involve buying something. I enjoy aesthetics and nice things, but I have a good idea of where to stop. Nobody can be 100% Anti-Consumerist in this day and age. That's really stupid. But you can curb your consumption a little and not buy into the system. I just try to find my personal rewards through things that aren't material based....

Some things to try:

1. After a night of heavy intoxication, go swimming. Get a bunch of kids together and do it! Jump in a fountain in the middle of the city even. It doesn't matter. The water's never THAT dirty. Besides, alcohol is a disinfectant. Its the most fun you'll have ever.

2. Have sex parties. Stop being a prude. All your friends are prude? Find new ones, they aren't cool.

3. Buy less, but buy the best. I always beleive in this. Some things I simply won't skimp on. I don't make a lot of $ but I eat only organic food, drink good wine, etc...

4. Kill your TV.

5. Stop having boring fucking keg parties. Do something that people will remember. Give everyone masks. Dissect animals. Think of all the drunk photo ops with intestines!! Have an S&M theme. Or see #2.

6. The best nights I ever have I end up bloody, laughing and crying at the same time.

7. Be an instigator. Try to get other people to drop inhibitions. If they aren't down, move on. What a yawn. It takes alot for me to get off these days, most people are such a fucking bore. But I found a good crew who are down for anything.

8. Routine is death. Do different things all the time. Push the limits. Sneak into abandoned buildings. Take photo shoots. If you go to the club or a concert, mob the floor and wile out. Get everyone else to go crazy too. Energy is contagious. Draw bizarre pictures and send them to random people in the phonebook. Hire a stripper to come to your party- but have her just hang out with no clothes on. Even better find a friend who will do it for free.

9. Ride a bike.

10. Remember: Convenience is sin, nothing good comes out of it. Cook your own meals. Be spontaneous when it comes to action. Don't allow laziness and a desire for convenience turn you into a slob like everyone else.

No matter how wealthy someone else is, no matter how many toys, if you are having more fun than them they envy YOU.

Exhilaration is the ultimate wealth.

Actin' bad like a kid at Six Flags...

^^ THAT SOUNDS LIKE MY TYPICAL WEEKEND!!

(NOT THAT I DO THAT EVERY WEEKEND, THAT WOULD BE ROUTINE)

PASS THAT ON TO A BUNCH OF PEOPLE HERE...THEY NEED TO LIGHTEN UP..

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER...

1) QUIT YOUR JOB! Buy a few clones and start growning. 10 small plants can make you about $4-5000 every other month (plenty of cash for a single person) all you have to do is keep your pad under 76 degrees, buy a timer for lights and water them.. FUCK MAKING MONEY FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

2) GET STRAPT. and learn how to shoot please.. Rapid fire in small clusters is what you want.

3) Pick and choose your friends get it down to like 5-6 like minded people (but dont always chill together like everyday). The rest of the people you know are retards anyways THEY WILL ONLY DRAG/HOLD YOU DOWN.

4) STEAL from stores (food, clothes, gadgets, whatever) anything you can casually swindle.

5) Buy only the best shit and make it stupid fresh like live in a studio but dip a range or a big body. Get some VVS rocks in your grill just because..

6) Be a nice guy almost TOO nice to people you dont know..

7) keep your mind right and dont hold anything too high (money,pussy, drugs,etc..) what YOU need comes first.

8) Stay in shape.. Obesity is killing fools worse that anything.

9)Get a down ass bitch.. Every good man has a good woman..

10) Stack some chips, clean your money, build credit (along the way), get cribbed and start a family.. (what else is there to do)

11) DIE HAPPY.

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER...

Edited by Selegna on Aug 12, 2005 at 09:32 AM

2 things.

First: Ahahahaha, thats the best post Selegna's ever made. Thats to the point!

Second: Someone posts a great article, and suddenly all the people here think were back into old-superfuture with intelligent posts. Were not. Way too many suckers.

What you guys is that you started on SuperFuture to be distinct from others. Now that this has moved to become mainstream, you need to move on. Now move on and stop calling 2-line posts intelligent.

MAD YOUNG MAN

oh i think ive had better..and the best is yet to come!!

BAPEddie at magic, APC Antifreeze wash, EVISU store at old DJ HONDA, BOYCOTT NIKE, they were all decent too.

HOPE YOU GET IT LATER...