Article on Nigo/Bathing Ape

artificialsky

This was already blown up on hypebeast, but I thought this was a really interesting article, especially in comparison to other interviews/featues on the brand a couple years ago

Love the take on Nigo as this secretly tormented, slighted man-child / victor frankenstein type.

Also, Fujiwara airs out a nikka.

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/goods/style/2007/10/15/Bathing-Ape-Profile#page1

yeah, love that HF quote that was on HB.

anyways, at that bbc party the other nite - i thought it was strange that #2 was content to just sit in the DJ booth and spin all nite by his lonesome than to mingle with 4real + posse and other partygoers...

in response to hiroshi's quote, beside asocciating himself with retarded rap super stars there really isn't much he can do about it. I mean 90% of that shit is fake.

I bet that it haunts Nigo in his sleep tho. If i was me, id focus on making more lifestyle products. More vinyl records, more toys, shit for my apartment. I think I'd pay a nice amount for a high threadcount plaid Bape bedding set.

when he said ugly people, do you think he meant hood nukkas that got dem sum baven apes?

“I just wonder how he feels when he sees ugly people wearing his clothes. If you go to the countryside in America and people are wearing Bathing Ape, that’s not very cool.â€

it's hard to feel bad for the guy.
why feel bad for the guy? He's made millions of dolllars and it all started with a tee shirt.

Im not talking about his money.. im talking about his mind.

Nigo just wasnt ready for all of this success + fame. His hometown heros and peers kinda turned their backs on him too, thats gotta be tough. Its like he has to buy all that crap to feel good now. Im sure he really plays and has deep conversations with his toys and memorabilia.

I wouldnt be surprised if he picks up an addiction soon.

80% of the new shitty 'streetwear' companies wouldnt even be around if it wasnt for Nigo. And those dudes probably scoff everytime they see bape now. I just think thats kinda fucked.

I have a pair of old puma-stas that i still wear once in a while and i will keep in respect for Nigo.

At the studio, the Teriyaki Boyz sit around a conference table, drinking canned tea and sports drinks and slurping up convenience-store soba noodles as they wait for a late *arrival. Ilmari of Rip Slyme reports another Axl Rose sighting—the singer was in town the past few weeks for reasons unknown and had been seen at the nightclub Le Baron. "It’s weird," Ilmari says. "You see the guy every night. It’s like, 'You’re Axl Rose! Don’t you have anything else to do?' 

Fuck, Why are they blowing up Le Baron! Argh.

wish I could +rep you Selegna HAHA

but yeah, I feel bad for the guy too, he seems really isolated and even the who he's NAMED after blows him off as a sellout. That really sucks and it's gotta feel shitty to be him. But I do have a lot of respect for the guy.

Like I said about the guy earlier, don't feel bad for him. He has managed his brand tremendously well over the years to develop a cultish aspirational appeal. Before coming to the states he made a calculated move to align himself with Pharrel and the rap community. He knew the selling power that these guys have and that it would ignite the brand over here and globally, and help take it mass. His retail strategy has developed in lock step with the broadeing profile in the last few years.

When the article mentioned his talks with VC funds it made perfect sense. Either (A) he will be selling the brand soon or (B) he will sell a large piece of equity to receive a cash infusion to really grow the brand globally.

In terms of his peers saying that he sold out, that's debatable. He is definitely a better businessman than all of them combined.

fujiwara is not much different from nigo at all. that guy while having seemingly "better" aesthetics then nigo, operates with a similar agenda. if the circumstance and timing (and priorities of the time) had permited, he would have been the exactly the same.

That quote totally made fujiwara look like the biggest fucking snob in "streetwear"...

Nigo needs a blog

i don't care about fh, but i have more respect for him then that of nigo.