Levi's 501XX Shrink-to-fit Q's

bling_bling

Yo, I just copped me some Levi's 501XX shrink-to-fit's and i have some q's

1)How do I wash them and when should I?

2)What do i have to do to get creases and nice fading?

3)They cost me only about $50, and i can't tell the difference between them and much more expensive denim like Evisu. As far as the eye can see and the hands can feel, they come to be about exactly the same except for the handpainted gull.

Thanks for your time,

Dee_LeOnE

dont wash them ever.....but if you really have to ........every 4-5months ish

wear the jeans alot as much as possible....do lots of bending in them ..... do 60 seconds worth of squats a day might help

depends wat evisu .... i found levis tougher to break in ..... an evisu no2's fade quicker than the 501xx 1950s i got

Quote:

Yo, I just copped me some Levi's 501XX shrink-to-fit's and i have some q's

1)How do I wash them and when should I?

2)What do i have to do to get creases and nice fading?

3)They cost me only about $50, and i can't tell the difference between them and much more expensive denim like Evisu. As far as the eye can see and the hands can feel, they come to be about exactly the same except for the handpainted gull.

Thanks for your time,

--- Original message by bling_bling on Aug 7, 2005 09:08 AM

Witts method will work, but I prefer to shrink them first. I find that you get better defined creases and they will fit you better too (i guess that's the point).

Put them on with whatever boxers you usually wear (make sure they are dark though, because the jeans will bleed). Get in the tub w/ warm water. Let them soak for a bit, then let them dry on you.

rinsing and shrinking your jeans like this will not really threaten your potential crease wear.

Although I haven't fully broken in a pair of 501s, my guess is that in a couple years with many washings, the fade on 501s wont look as good as premium denim. For a hint, look at the washed versions of the 501s.

One of the differences you will see between 501s and more expensive denim is the irregularity of the weave on backside. You might not notice a difference on the top side until the jeans start to fade.

I still think 501xx are the best jeans under 100$, at least that you can easily get in the US.

I have some questions too...

I know you're supposed wear you jeans a while before you wash them, but if I don't wash the shrink to fits won't they be huge since you have to buy a few sizes bigger?

How are you supposed to get nice wear if the jeans are so big?

After you wash them, can you still get nice contrast, creasing, and fading?

Thanks for the help.

NyM...

w/shrink-to-fits you're kind've screwed because yeah, they're gonna be a good deal bigger before you wash them, so you either have to buy em big and start after one wash or buy them to fit and keep them raw and dry-clean them.

if you want to buy some raw denim w/the purpose of wearing them a long time and then washing in water, to it's prob best to stick w/sanforized jeans (pre-shrunk but kept raw).

ok, so most of you suggest not washing them if not absolutely necessary (or taking them to get dry cleaned) why is that? b/cause i thnk i really have to shrink mine, because they are a little bit too big and i bought them bigger. will they look horrible if i wash them? thanks again for all ure help and clearing stuff up,

Edited by bling_bling on Aug 7, 2005 at 07:42 PM

• 1 year later...