Snow Gear - Ski, Snowboard, Alpine

Brienneoftarth

There is something about buying a ski jacket off of eluxury that I do not know how I feel. That jacket there has nothing to do with skiing other than the name.

Questions that would need to be answered for me to give an educated answer are how often does she ski, and what "type" of skier is she. Is she really involved in the "new schooler" thing, maybe even a former racer.

As for whether arcterex is worht it would highly depend on how often she skis and in what conditions. Some brands though to look at may be DNA by Descente, Spyder, Phenix, Helly Hansen, Orage, etc...

Edited by HEWSINATOR on Dec 3, 2005 at 03:36 PM

Hey guys

im lookinng at buying some gear for christmas,

pants,

jacket,

gloves,

Possibly boots/board if i got any $$ left over,

So im after recommendations on brands/quality to buy?

Im in sydney also, so im guessing it will be abit more expensive than say Us/Canada,

My other option is to find a contact/website in canada/us to ship over..

Quote: stickykrylon on Today @ 08:08 PM

LOL!! what a recommendatoin.

Mind you I can't really afford much time browsing through gear (theres too much out there). But stuff I'd pick up is

Jacket- Burton. Ronin series is always solid with well placed pockets etc and good insulation. I'm sorta tempted by their new 'denim' designs though

Pants- I think they're all the same. just make sure theres lots of knee room, and that the leg opening is wide enough to look good even when its strapped aorund the boots.

Gloves- Oh wow I found the most amazing pair recently. Levels with wrist guard were about 60GBP, but had a decent snot pad, lens cleaner (which is useless btw) and most important, a solid wrist guard.

*Edit*-> Gloves with wriste guards prove VERY helpful. Its also important for me when shopping for gloves to make sure that theres an inner layer that can be pulled out and dried for the next day. It makes sure that it doesnt trap all the sweat n shit and smell disgusting.

As for board. You might not need one yet starting off, but I think that if you konw ur gonna stick to snowboarding, getting a comfy pair of boots is better than rentals. The higher end Burton ones now dont require lacing, and just tighten as u pull on their kevlar wires. Makes prepping up that much easier. Besides, if say i only had $700USD to spend, i'd spend about 250-300 on the boots (well make sure its a fair amount), and less on the rest cos the contact is all in the foot...

hope this was helpful

Edited by swyche on Dec 6, 2005 at 10:32 PM

ah sweet,

thanks heaps for your help swyche and co.

Ill check out the stuff online now,

Gota find somewhere around here that would sell anything like it.. (snow is about 6 hours drive away.. )

Any more recomendations like swyche's ?

for some reason i find the sizing for burton jackets to be really on the large size. i tried on an XS shaun white jacket at the soho store and the arms were still really long and baggy. i ended up getting a northface triclimate.

also if youre not looking to spend alot, i like Columbia's Convert Line. I also just picked up a pair of columbia Vertex pants for 70 bucks..

If you are Aussie based, then have a look at some of the Aussie/Kiwi brands, save some cash and shell out on a decent board and boots

I had a 540s jacket many many moons ago and it was ok

www.540s.co.nz

and, i think you will be able to find a decent snowboard shop in Sydney, they should be able to help ... you probably won't need the super warm stuff required in the rest of the world if you are just sliding between the gumtrees in the blue mountains

www.balmoralboards.com.au looks ok ...

Edited by Cue on Dec 7, 2005 at 09:04 AM

Sorry 'i'm not from aus... so i dont really know. Mail order is always handy for gear tho, cos snowboard stuff tends to be baggy so you dont have to guess the fit.

Analog is cool... I'm just not a fan of their plain designs.

But speaking of Burton owned, Anon does the best googles I've tried (been thru like 4 pairs and anon has the best fit)

Volcom did seriously dope trousers last season. Crazy jackson pollock/ spiderweb type patterns, in orange with light green background.

oh and Nike ACG are releasing some veyr nice gear this year

im a huge fan of bonfire....their sizing is more accurate than burton, the price to performance ratio is a lot higher too...burtons prices are a bit more inflated because of ad costs....

things to look for in outerwear:

determine what kind of conditions you are gonna ride in - is it wet snow, dry snow, both etc...i ride in a lot of different conditions, so my jacket that gets the most wear is a 30,000mm shell from bonfire....if your not familiar with the rating system for waterproofing, the higher the number the more resistance it is to precipitation....i personally wouldnt go any lower than 15,000mm, but again, it depends on what conditions you ride....

also look for seams to be taped - where the different peices of material are stiched together, there are a few different ways they waterproof those seams....a taped seam looks much different than untaped, so if you've never seen one ask a salesmen to point it out....

also, the benefit of having just a shell instead of a down filled our insulated jacket is that you can layer underneath to accomodate the conditions....

be sure to find a jacket and pants that have zip vents in the pits/inner thighs for the warmer days....

good luck, and shred some aussie gnar

www.hecklewood.com

Guest UNKLE21

i would say burton is great gear. Analog is more $$ but better quality, comfort, and style.

boots are what you make them, it doesnt matter what brand, if there comfy thats all that matters. the worst is buying a pair of boots and hurting all day. you want boots that are snug all around, but dont curl your toes, but you also dont want to be swimming in them. dont forget that after a week of riding they are going to wear in and get a tad bigger.

for jackets, go burton, analog, 686, or some bonfire. if you have the dough*** drop for an arcteryx sidewinder SV. there cut big, and they're the best functionally.

for pants, get thicker pants. the thinner u go, the more layers you need, and the more weight and baggage on your legs. Go for ronin 2l vent pants, or even just the ronin cargos, both light but thick.

gloves? that doesnt really matter for you at this point. mittens or gloves will work, but a removable liner is best. you want warm gloves. id go grenade or burton.

and id say there are alot of amazing snowboard brands Nitro, Palmer, and Burton. and the best underground, or not-so-heard of brands would be illuminati and never summer. both make absolutley amazing boards thatll flip your lid off.

bindings to get would be anything with a nice ankle strap that has padding so youll be comfy. burton p1 (non-carbon) ar nice and so are the ride EX's and teams. it depends on how high you want your highback(that back piece to your binding) to be.

if you have any other specific q's let me know...

DJ_Flame

Grenade is great high quality stuff, but u can't beat the analog down jacket. they are the best and warmest made. AK is a nice brand by burton, its minimalistic compared to their other stuff, but still loaded with enough features to keep you dry all day, and its comfy.

JEANS...mmm mmm good

Quote: AK is a nice brand by burton, its minimalistic compared to their other stuff, but still loaded with enough features to keep you dry all day, and its comfy.

I tried on the AK continumum down jacket at the store. It felt super-light, as it was constructed of cotton, but had a 700 down-fill.

The store owner told me AK is Burton's high-end top-of-the-line products. can anyone confirm this.

Quote:
Quote: stickykrylon on Today @ 08:08 PM

LOL!! what a recommendatoin.

Mind you I can't really afford much time browsing through gear (theres too much out there). But stuff I'd pick up is

Jacket- Burton. Ronin series is always solid with well placed pockets etc and good insulation. I'm sorta tempted by their new 'denim' designs though

Pants- I think they're all the same. just make sure theres lots of knee room, and that the leg opening is wide enough to look good even when its strapped aorund the boots.

Gloves- Oh wow I found the most amazing pair recently. Levels with wrist guard were about 60GBP, but had a decent snot pad, lens cleaner (which is useless btw) and most important, a solid wrist guard.

*Edit*-> Gloves with wriste guards prove VERY helpful. Its also important for me when shopping for gloves to make sure that theres an inner layer that can be pulled out and dried for the next day. It makes sure that it doesnt trap all the sweat n shit and smell disgusting.

As for board. You might not need one yet starting off, but I think that if you konw ur gonna stick to snowboarding, getting a comfy pair of boots is better than rentals. The higher end Burton ones now dont require lacing, and just tighten as u pull on their kevlar wires. Makes prepping up that much easier. Besides, if say i only had $700USD to spend, i'd spend about 250-300 on the boots (well make sure its a fair amount), and less on the rest cos the contact is all in the foot...

hope this was helpful

Edited by swyche on Dec 6, 2005 at 10:32 PM

--- Original message by swyche on Dec 6, 2005 10:31 PM

err... imo gloves with wristguards arent that good and may actually cause you to break your wrists faster. seperate wristguards are way better because they are fitted to your hand and stay there as opposed to the wristguards in gloves which have space to move. check out RED at the burton site for some proper goods or walk into your local snowboardshop for advice because there are more brands with proper stuff (dakine etc.)

also, expensive gear doesnt guarantee good gear. its sports materials so they have to fit to your body and not reflect your bankaccount. (granted good gear is usually more expensive and im also one of those idiots who buys too expensive clothing, so im not flaming anyone here haha)

and if you're a beginner, protection shorts are killer, because your butt isnt that blue the next day.

my 2 cents

Yes AK is Burtons High end performance line.

MarkXIII is even higher end. more fashion with the function.

By the way it snowed everyday since thanksgiving and I've

been riding knee deep all season.

Breckenridge is Killing it! 200% above average snowfall!

best on record.

Just had to throw that out.

PEACE & POWDER

Burton and Ride bindings are good stuff. A lot of other binding brands are just rebranded Drake bindings.

Northwave and Burton boots are some of the nicest. Wear non cotton socks instead of two pairs of cotton socks other wise your feet sweat and the sweat freezes.

I used to work in a shop years a go and that was the way it was for boots and bindings.

Burton makes some nice mittens. There's an old pair I have called toast which are mittens with glove finger holes in side. They were really warm when they were new and fluffy. Da Kine mittens are decent too. The North Face mitts I had were kind of crappy.

Bolle makes nice goggles. I use this kind that are meant for people wearing glasses underneath, but I really just like them because I find them being oversized to be really comfortable.

Personally if I was starting out I'd waste more of my money on equipment and look a little bummy. Then again I'm from NJ and we are known for skiing in jeans and Starter jackets.

Burton everything is usually very good quality even though they do have some run of the mill crap you can find at chains like Sports Authority. There stuff can be a little more expensive that other popular quality brands like Ride, but they are popular for a reason - their shit is awesome. But some people who board kind of get sick of Burton controlling practically everything.

Step in's aren't really that useful either. A quality pair of bindings doesn't take that long to strap in and out and they generally offer much better support and performance.