The Superfuture Times.

red

Gotta be honest, subarashii...I am strongly opposed to your overuse of "big" words. It's some sort of epidemic that runs through the higher education system and it muddles simple concepts behind the ego of the writer. I just want to know what you're saying in a clear and concise manner. No fluff, plx.

Also, you only use an apostrophe in the word "its" when it's (<--- :P) a contraction and not when it's (HA!) possessive. That simple mistake makes the reader think that you were using a thesaurus to write this essay. Not saying that you did, but it makes the whole thing suspect.

Gotta be honest, subarashii...I am strongly opposed to your overuse of "big" words. It's some sort of epidemic that runs through the higher education system and it muddles simple concepts behind the ego of the writer. I just want to know what you're saying in a clear and concise manner. No fluff, plx.

Also, you only use an apostrophe in the word "its" when it's (<--- :P) a contraction and not when it's (HA!) possessive. That simple mistake makes the reader think that you were using a thesaurus to write this essay. Not saying that you did, but it makes the whole thing suspect.

yea i also hate reading really verbose writing. if its an article i don't write like it's being filtered through a thesaurus but for these seminar thesis essays at uni i gotta do it.

for what its worth i was able to read the william james bit without any trouble. although it used a lot of "big words", it was still quite concise. the other one, i had no idea what you were saying by the time i got done reading it. i dont really know anything about the subject matter, but in that one it seemed like you were just right clicking random words and doing the thesaurus thing in microsoft word, always choosing the longest synonym.

Just want you to know that I wasn't trying to attack you, but it's my annoyance with obvious idiots that attempt to write this shit coming out. I had to peer review a bunch of shit that could have been written by 4 year olds and it made my skin crawl to know that they'd graduate college comeday.

...The idea of a self-contained nation is a narrative symbolic force. They are mythical spaces constructed from preserved memory, rooted in the ‘politics of difference’ and carved out from larger cultural systems of disposition. These narratives harbor an understanding of ‘inside’ and ‘out’ and culturally privileged articulations of a vocabulary that come to represent a singular social identity. However, as the realm of private interests increasingly assume significance in the public realm, a cultural osmosis breaks down the singular notion of the ‘nation’. This ambivalence between systems create the possibility for new directions of articulating social identity, and by extension, for defining the nation as a form of “cultural elaboration†and forms a kind of pluralistic historicism, where history is in a process of constant reconstruction of itself.

This examination of nation-space allows for new meanings and directions for history, because it assumes that history may be “half-madeâ€. In other words, when the self-contained narratives of a previously singular identity is viewed as only partial, the notion of ‘inside’ and ‘outside’ becomes a hybridity of spaces. To reveal the margin of a singular nation-space contests claims to cultural supremacy, because it is

caught, uncertainly, in the act of ‘composing’ its powerful image. In this light, it is no surprise that Devils on the Doorstep begins in medias res.

At first glance, the film appears to be a black and white war documentary from the 1940’s. The postmodern production consciously applies archival cinematographic properties to a set of appropriated visual tropes from documentaries from the period of the Japanese occupation in China. The effect of this stylistic mimeses is a reproduction of the past in images, but more importantly, a recollection and displacement of a cultural past. This pastiche of simulated historical motifs and iconography sets a backdrop for a plot which simultaneously revisits and rearranges an established milieu of binary oppositions that compose cultural myths that are deeply woven into the narrative of historical national identity. Devils on the Doorstep does not try to deconstruct national history, but rather attempts to reconstruct an ongoing creation of history in which the past and present and myth and reality are diffused, allowing for an emergence of a pluralistic national narrative...

suba, what class was this for? you go to UofT?

god, i haven't written anything i actually liked (or wanted to write) for a while.

great reading what others have typed...i hope this thread stays alive. :]

the subjects of the papers i don't feel like posting were pretty interesting though...

- overview of past ethnographic research on relationships between different ppls in southeast asia--specifically the archipelagos and what we can learn from those examples in our own struggles as a dynamic diverse group of people in the United States -- individual v. familial/group/racial v. American identity.

- a reconsideration of population theories for the new world (the americas), and then specifically looking at the descriptions of the teeth of ppl who appear in early sequences all over the americas--especially in Peru.

- reviewing population theories of sahul (new guinea + australia) from sundaland (one solid mass that most of SE Asia made) during the last ice age/before 60,000 years ago. what's remarkable about this is that thr crossing required very sophisticated seafaring technology ...

- reviewing population theory of oceania ... thru linguistic (austronesian), genetic, and physical (haha--coz it's non-existent fer the most part) evidence.

most of these poulation theories have people in neat isolated groups whose only interactions were either punking/easy-conquest or war or trading when absolutely necessary (which reflect past researchers' eurocentric and male-centered POVs...imo)--they ignore the time and space for the complicated lives that ppl lead (e.g. complex trade networks and trade relationships, intermarriages, identity fluidity, etc).

- also wrote an opinion piece on latin american racism v. good ol' Jim Crow one-drop rule racism and how newly (?) accepted to ideas of racial mixing without any conscious tearing down of white privilege will just lead to a more latin american form of racism in the United States where everybody has something in their blood and they aren't ashamed of it--but white still make right... and blacks or the racialized Other/s still get fucked over.

...blahblahblah. i wrote about how and where people meet each other, ideas of fluidity of group and personal identity, the movement of people, and diaspora.

:rolleyes: