Flat Head x 092707 = The Flat Head Suit

kiya

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ThinkFilm28.. I'm with Theetuscan.

You're a bit of an idiot.

You're completely missing the point here.

I like denim. I'm getting married. I wanted to do something fun, so i spent some time putting together a denim suit complete with appropriate shoes, etc...

That's it. I thought it came out well, so i thought we'd share the photos with a group of people that would also appreciate it, the ONLY group of people in the world that would even begin to understand why i did this.

It's as simple as that.

I'm not saying you should go make your own denim suit.

This was an experiment of sorts, in the end, we weren't completely sure how it was all going to look, and i had a backup suit just in case it didn't come out as planned.

PS.. You're post immediatly before the one slamming my suit was you asking about a pair of Crooks jeans on eBay.

Well, I still think it’s fun. And it is very definitely unique. And it is your wedding. End of that.

Now, could you be so kind as to respond to a few of the politely asked questions? I’m curious about the details and construction. The denim is fantastic, of course.

I guess we’ll have to wait for the wedding photos to hear about the bridal gown & trousseau.

Please don’t tell us that your honeymoon is back to the denim factories in Japan (or the yo-yo factories, either)!!!

Repeated congrats!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding Kiya! Careful not to get too sweaty before the wedding vows, or else you'll get indigo dye all over that nice shirt and shoes. ;)

Will you show your denim suit at the store one of these days? I'd like to take a look-see. :D

thinkfilm i think your failing to see the correlation between kiya being the owner of self edge, his wife being one of the co owners, his business which operates on selling denim and him making his wedding suit out of flathead denim which self edge is basically the only retailer of in the US

best of luck kiya, the selvedge pockets look excellent and those cufflinks are badass

The construction of this suit was definitely a hassle.

As you can imagine, 14.5 ounce raw denim doesn't exactly fall like lightweight wool. It was a nightmare getting the jacket to sit right, and even now i'll admit that in no way does it sit like a wool suit. But it's also insane to attempt to make a suit, which is such an intricate garment, out of something so difficult to work with as denim this stiff and heavy.

In the end it came out well, and initially i thought i'd only be wearing the suit complete after the wedding was over. But now i'm thinking the pants might be nice to wear on their own, they've got a very 40's style to them and the rise isn't as high because it was tailored for me, and i'm only 5'7".

The denim was NOT soaked before construction, and i've been told by a couple of others that gentle dry cleaning will not affect the cut, but also if i ever spill something serious on the suit, it's over.

Not that I'm one to feed trolls but how does someone who came into a thread spewing hate get to call everyone else haters. Also another example of his hypocrisy would be the crooks jeans and the miners, chucks vintage comments.

Beautiful suit Kiya hope it doesn't do to much damage to that nice white shirt underneath.

Best wishes.

you need custom made copper rivet cufflinks!!!!!!! :P

the suit is amazing and congrats on the wedding

You know, we were VERY close to using Flat Head donut buttons as the buttons on the jacket sleeve, but we felt it was going overboard and it would have given the suit a DIY look which we didn't want.

Hey dude:

Welcome to the club. Give it a couple of months. You ain't gonna be gettin any.

wait... being on sufu means you cant get any? the man in the denim suit is defiantly getting some.

ever notice that new people always get a bad rep? you are all a bunch of elitist, every last one of ya. sorry kiya ...

new people dont always get bad rep... just new people who contribute nothing.

ThinkFilm28.. I'm with Theetuscan.

You're a bit of an idiot.

You're completely missing the point here.

I like denim. I'm getting married. I wanted to do something fun, so i spent some time putting together a denim suit complete with appropriate shoes, etc...

My post you agreed with got deleted it looks like, so I just wanted to say that it's fantastic you've managed to get such a perfect outfit for your wedding. I'm amazed that, given the difficulty of working with denim, there's just a little puckering on the back.

Congratulations!