vintage mid 60s 70505 jacket help please!

jdavis

hi guys, could you give me a hand with this one?

a guy i know is holding a jacket for me that was suppossed to be an early 60s 557, but in the end is wasn't. i still like the looks of the jacket, but what about pricing? how much less are 70505s priced at? i figure they'd be lower on account of them not being XX, later generation and cardstock patch. still a nice big e red tab though.

can you guys help me? i'd really appreciate it thanks!

Quote:

hi guys, could you give me a hand with this one?

a guy i know is holding a jacket for me that was suppossed to be an early 60s 557, but in the end is wasn't. i still like the looks of the jacket, but what about pricing? how much less are 70505s priced at? i figure they'd be lower on account of them not being XX, later generation and cardstock patch. still a nice big e red tab though.

can you guys help me? i'd really appreciate it thanks!

--- Original message by jdavis on Aug 2, 2005 05:19 PM

you can tell the 557 by the size of the patch. if you are getting a regular big e jaket, there are 2 versions. the earlier version is finished at the w.b. opening on the button placket with a single needle stitch. the later ones are double needle finished like a pair of later (non v stitch) big e jeans.

regular big e jackets on ebay go for no more than 150.00 dollars right now depending on the conition and size. you can find them cheaper, they arnt too desirable right now. i wouldnt pay that much. most dealers who are sellng them for high prices have had them for a long time and are trying to re-coop money they have invested in them. 5-10 years ago they went for alot more money.

sweet-orr

I should have asked this one before: this is purely hypothetical - if the tag is missing, what distinguishes a 557 from a 70505? After all, both 557 and 70505 could be single-stitched. I'd expect better whiskering on a 557 though - being a double x and all. On later jackets the front pleats don't join together at the waistband like earlier ones - thats the only guideline i know, but it doesn't seem to work all the time?

Quote:

I should have asked this one before: this is purely hypothetical - if the tag is missing, what distinguishes a 557 from a 70505? After all, both 557 and 70505 could be single-stitched. I'd expect better whiskering on a 557 though - being a double x and all. On later jackets the front pleats don't join together at the waistband like earlier ones - thats the only guideline i know, but it doesn't seem to work all the time?

--- Original message by jdavis on Aug 2, 2005 07:49 PM

look at where the label in the neck used to be. the 557 would have a patch the size of the one found on the wasist of 501 jeans. 70505 has a smaller more rectanglar one. you can usually see where the label used to be. this is the easiest way to tell. the pleat thing also varies on the size.

sweet-orr