authenticity and dad

scoon0224

Also, for the guy that brought up the Rolex, they were not necessarily considered to be a watch for the affluent. In fact the one I wear, a GMT master II is a work watch and I never take it off, not in the shower or to sleep or when demoing a kitchen. I shows my life upon it just like it was intended to, just like a pair of jeans or boots.

not exactly, they might be "utilitarian" but they're still well out of reach financially for the people originally purchasing work wear.

you are correct in that respect, but the prices did not triple till the early 80's when everyone on Wall St. had to have one and Rolex decided to cash in.

my point was that no matter what the cost if you lock it up and don't wear your life upon it, then to me it, you are being in-authentic (just my opinion).

I really like what this thread is about and applaud down with for bringing some of these things to light. Kudos.

I regularly wear the first pair of shoes my dad bought after he came to Canada from China.. a product of his first ever Canadian pay cheque... so they were purchased 26 years ago. It's a nod and appreciation of heritage, family, and all of his hard work and struggles that gets me wearing them now.

rainmaker, that's an amazing thing to own. I confess alot of the clothes I purchase with the thought of passing them down to some one younger in my family when I get alot older. I regret alot that my family really had no mind for that type of thing. I've never been handed down one nice item in my family. My uncle has good taste in art, literature, and music and has a sizable collection of old stuff, which I won't get any of. However, besides him, no one had any eyes for or interest in quality products that might be future heirlooms. My kids/grandkids better appreciate me.

i gave my pops a pair of rrdg nudies(brand new), and i cant wait to see how he wears them, although i made the mistake of telling them how much they cost, so now he might make them some 'special occasion' joints. he's 62, so i just think its hot for my pops, who knows nothing about trends/denim/fashion to be wearing nudies. he says they fit well. when i go to NY im gonna cop him some selvage uniqlos, and that will be my gift to humanity. i figure if i came out of his sack, it's my responsibilty to make sure its clothed properly. i also gave him some g-stars, and i dont give him any wear instructions. its a great experiment.