Haruki Murakami

coinlockerbaby

I'm reading Kafka on the Shore at the moment and its my first Haruki Murakami. I like it because it weaves together youthful fantasy with existential themes and literary style. It also makes me think about it, and analyze and dissect it at every stage. I don't find myself flipping through the pages though, and in my opinion, that quality is what makes a book great. Anyway, I will read more of his stuff in the future.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never read Murakami till the other day. My girlfriend always said she didn't like them and i guess that influenced me and kind of turned me off.

Went up to my parent's place for a quick trip during the christmas break and After the Quake was lieing around. Was a quick read but pretty intriguing. Might look into a few other novels...and after reading a bit of this thread some of them sound pretty dope.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never read Murakami till the other day. My girlfriend always said she didn't like them and i guess that influenced me and kind of turned me off.

I've got a friend that reads extremely widely and she has excellent taste in books, but she also hated Murakami. I forget which book she read, but she said the whole ambience of the book made her feel ineffably uncomfortable.

I kind of see a bit of this in Murakami's writing but not too that extent. The isolated, introspective characters, the mundane style of large portions of the narrative. It kind of reminds me of the description, given to me by a different friend, of the "horror of timelessness and the infinite" induced by high doses of mushrooms in some cases.

Kind OT, but for anyone who really enjoys the pace (and some stylistic aspects) of Murakami's work, I highly suggest you check out 2666 by Bolano.