Greek Islands

Davidbaze

hey guys

thinking of taking a week break from Israel and flying to Greece. I've been to Athens before and am not really interesting in being there... do you have any recommendations on which islands to visit?

I've heard Paros is beautiful - in addition to the more popular Santorini and Mykonos

Any specific islands/night life spots/restaurants/landmarks would be much appreciated!

Depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a very americanised touristy spot with lots of partying then your options are Mykonos (the new ibiza) and Santorini (a beautiful volcanic rock island). Aside from that, there are thousands of islands in greece and they are all beautiful. The beaches are breathtaking and the food is great. The women on the islands are far from what you may be used to in the US... just warning you.

All that having been said.... dont expect really high tech city infrastructure... Their highest speed internet is 1mbps lol. I come from Chios... I love it, as an escape.

Feel free to ask more questions ill try n help as much as i can.

The only ones I've been to are Rhodes and Patmos.

Rhodes sucks.

Patmos is great, but only if you know the people. Basically, every summer, the same rich kids fly there, and each summer they bring a few of their friends, some of which then become part of the regulars. If you're part of that crowd, it's some of the best partying ever. Also, Georgie's Place has the best club toast ever.

Here are some pics from my trips to the island in 2004 and 2006..

Restaurant by the water with the nicest view ever :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Island night club at night:

7.jpg

Island nightclub at 7am on a sunday... *pukes*

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sun setting over Turkey

12.jpg

oh yeah... i forgot to mention the $$$ issue. shits generally a lot more expensive than in north america EXCEPT for cigarettes and alcohol (from stores).

The smokes are insanely cheap. In 2006 i could get a pack of decent smokes for 1 euro and you can get THE best smokes (Davidoff Golds) for 2.90 Euros.

Alcohol from convenience stores or grocery stores is also very inexpensive. There is a markup for alcohol in clubs, also be VERY VERY carefull for bootleg alcohol. It's very common that people get sick because of alcohol poisoning. I remember buying bottles of Jose Cuervo Gold (haha i know) for 35 Euros. The bottle looked sealed but, after a couple of shots you can clearly tell something wierd.

Aside from that, spend most your money on food, seriously :P

take the Nissos Mykonos (a sweet passenger boat) first class as much as u can to jump around the islands. if you go back to athens check out Balux. another sweet place.

Definitely recommend getting a table btw. Cover charge is typically $20 euro at this place - tables were like $110 euro (bottle of absolut). If you split it amongst friends - definitely the way to go, as drinks are expensive and typically watered down.