B-Boys and Crate Diggers: Your Favorite Dusty Breaks?

heBAY

Due to the amount of heads on here who are into Breaking (not the movie)...why not open up a topic about this...

B-Boys...and girls...what are your favorite breaks to rock to? I'm talkin' classics and rarities like Jimmy Castor's "It's Just Begun" to Soul Searchers "We The People"...which are two of my favorites. Those are actually two of the more rare breaks cause I favor the 45" version of "It's Just Begun"...they replayed the song for the single and the percussion just sounds crazy when the breaks hit. I had it on an old Bobbito/Cucumber Slice mixtape.

Crate diggers, vinyl junkies, etc...feel free to chime in and give the artist and title of your favorite breaks (again...I'm talkin' about shit that's more along the lines of 60's-early 80's...not the "Breakbeat" genre of electronic music...but old electro, Kraftwerk, etc. etc.).

Obviously James Brown is going to get huge mention here. Countless joints.

not really into breaking but theres this one song ive been trying to id forever, that i first heard while my friends were breaking... all i remember are the lines 'mourning, sad mourning' something like that and a girl was singing it =x thats it lol

That's "The Mexican"...another fuckin' classic. There are two popular versions out there...but I say get the OG version...I think it's by Babe Ruth...but I may be wrong since I get the two groups who did it mixed up. I'm almost sure the OG is Babe Ruth though.

O MY GOD... haha this is an awsome thread...breaks... dude... haha.

Rock creek park - blackbyrds

Look at California (start at like 5:20 its a 8 min song but the break starts at 5:20) - Frankie Beverly and the mase

Canned Heat - Jamiroquai

Evil Vibration - Mighty Riders

Funky Monkey - Mandrill

The a la methe - la caution ( not old but this is a jam....)

I changed my mind - Lyric Born

Superstar - K-OS

Lusty Lady - johnny bristol

Cavern - Liquid Liquid ( one of my all time favorites, took me a good year to find after talking to my dj after he played it for me)

any to anyone who wants more great breaks/funk/hip hop/flamenco can i get an invite to oink? :-D

email is: [email protected]

ps. this is only a couple that i was browsing though.... :)

enjoy hebay

^ thats a lazy post dude.

k-os flipped a sample in superstar. i cant remember who it is right now, but it wasnt his beat. he just gaffled some old record and rapped over it. barely changed a thing. he even just sang over the original chorus. still a dope song, but you gotta acknowledge the real musicians who made that shit hot.

i changed my mind is a fav though. the poets of rythm did the instrumentation on that. all their records are break heavy. peep game.

...I really haaaad a ball!

Ha...good shit. "Yellow Sunshine" (I forget who did that) is my shit too. JB's "The Grunt"...Syl Johnson's joint...wild people sampled it...the name escapes me at this point and I'm too lazy to pick up the album. It has the intro with him going "UH! (lady laughing)...UGH!!!!! (lady laughing harder)...UGH!!! (lady laughing even more)...UGHH!!!"

Damn.

You know break everyone loved that I didn't really feel too tough about..."Dance to the Drummer's Beat"...I just thought it was cheesy (although I liked hte vocals...I just never dug the little guitars on it lol).

its pretty basic, but its so catchy and repetitive. its probly my favorite song to watch b boys get down to. other than apache maybe. its got wicked history behind it and every routine fits into it and the cowbell is so hypnotic. i love that shit.

whoever can tell me what break the dust brothers used on the beasties 'shake your rump' gets mad rep. that album runs the break world. when they flipped loosebooty for shadrach... goddammmm!

Guest Mayhem

i know why people would like apache, but honestly, I really hate the song. lol. anyone heard of dj m@r and the bboy bloodline cd? dj woodo like horny hornz. dirty vegas. and defcut defcut defcut.. mobb deep for some reason too.

^ thats a lazy post dude.

k-os flipped a sample in superstar. i cant remember who it is right now, but it wasnt his beat. he just gaffled some old record and rapped over it. barely changed a thing. he even just sang over the original chorus. still a dope song, but you gotta acknowledge the real musicians who made that shit hot.

i changed my mind is a fav though. the poets of rythm did the instrumentation on that. all their records are break heavy. peep game.

i dont get it how is my post lazy? haha

i know why people would like apache, but honestly, I really hate the song. lol. anyone heard of dj m@r and the bboy bloodline cd? dj woodo like horny hornz. dirty vegas. and defcut defcut defcut.. mobb deep for some reason too.

i agree with you apach is kinda played out i havent heard that song get played at a jam in awhile. at less the orginal. I love the variations of that song though

See...I don;t know about that...Apache is too mean. I love that break...people who can kill it REALLY kill it when it's on...I've had alot of ill battles to that. I think the Fresh Prince kinda killed it for people...and I only gun for the original Bongo Band version.

Mobb Deep? Havoc and Prodigy Mobb Deep?? To break to? I don't get how that fits into this thread?

Guest Mayhem

damn! fresh prince did kill it for me. haha. i break to mobb deep. yes havoc and prodigy. like shorty wop and got it twisted. its not like the only songs you can bboy to are instrumental type songs unless no one told me.

damn! fresh prince did kill it for me. haha. i break to mobb deep. yes havoc and prodigy. like shorty wop and got it twisted. its not like the only songs you can bboy to are instrumental type songs unless no one told me.

i feel yea, i like to break to some hip hop. but, its a little different kinda break i guess. the tempo is different, the funkier the beat the better for me, but i did like to break to gang starr, and house.

Yea...I got nothing against breaking to Mobb Deep...it just was kinda surprising to hear...since I couldn't stop hearing "Shook Ones Pt. II" and imagining things moving in slow motion...plus I was sorta gearing this towards classic records only (b/c I know everyone has their modern day joints they like to throw on)...but shit, as non-60's/70's/80's as Mobb Deep is, it makes for good novelty mention (seriously the first time I've ever heard of breakin' to the M-O-B-B).

I hear Vuong on the Gangstarr...classics have that kind of appeal...the older the better in most cases... late 80's/early 90's have a lot of the breakbeats sampled into them...so the tempo is there already. Who hasn't rocked to Eric B & Rakim's "Know The Ledge" or "Don't Sweat The Technique"...or some Kane ("Raw," "Warm It Up," his joint from the Juice soundtrack).

And damn Will and Carlton!

whoever can tell me what break the dust brothers used on the beasties 'shake your rump' gets mad rep. that album runs the break world. when they flipped loosebooty for shadrach... goddammmm!

There's literally about 15 samples running thru "Shake Your Rump", they didn't just loop a break on that one.

Yellow Sunshine is the name of the group and the record.

And the Syl Johnson break someone referred to is "Different Strokes".

• 1 month later...