Modern 501 Question

weirdnjfan1

Alright I've looked around at the Levi's topics and didn't find an answer. Lately a lot of the Levi's adds have been pushing the 501. From the looks of it, it seems the be the shrink to fit or just a very just dark wash of it and it seems to be a selvedge version of it. I don't think that it's LVC model, cause it doesn't seem to be a older cut. I was wondering and maybe some of the Levi's experts can help me out here. Is it just me or is Levi's making a standard version of the STF with selvedge or is it some kind of premium model? Can someone help me?

Damn, now I gotta find a place in NJ that sells them or even a place on line.

Edit:

Would these be selvedge ones that are cheap or not?

http://www.levisstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2076855&cp=2068573.2075200.2075201&parentPage=family

??? No. You can head up to nyc to the store, or check the one in AC in the pier. If it was, Levi's would bring it to your attention.

hey,

i just got a pair of these. the manager at the levisstore says it's a new STF 501 Selvage, not sold online or anywhere else. retails $98. he said that they are 13.5oz, and that they are a quality between LVC (14.5oz he says) and the old crappy STF 501 nonselvage that retails for $46, (11 oz he says).

i used a 30% off coupon that the levisstore emailed to me (it's expired now) two weeks ago. yes, they are different from the $46 STF, Capital E's, and the LVCs. how accurate they measured the weight of their denim is questionable though... I guess i can post pictures when i break them in more, to see if it's really 13.5oz.

hope this helps!

Here they are (those pics are a poor representation though) I saw them in the Soho store this weekend, looked okay, I could go back and take some pictures. The only visible differences from regular 501s were the leather patch and selvage, denim looked okay, probably on par with APC or something. Didn't notice if they were chainstitched or not.

I think this is a better explanation: http://eu.levi.com/pwr/ there was a thread about it a while ago.

I stopped by the Levi's store near me..I think when I was there a few months ago I saw the 501s w/ selvedge for $98, but I didn't see them there this time. Either I am mistaken of seeing them before or the salesperson was not helpful. I saw the cheaper version of the 47s on sale for $20 (orig $98) so I just picked those up. Fuck selvedge, haha.

Fit pics before soak. 33x34

61oii5f.jpg

Here they are (those pics are a poor representation though) I saw them in the Soho store this weekend, looked okay, I could go back and take some pictures. The only visible differences from regular 501s were the leather patch and selvage, denim looked okay, probably on par with APC or something. Didn't notice if they were chainstitched or not.

I think this is a better explanation: http://eu.levi.com/pwr/ there was a thread about it a while ago.

so it's pretty much the same exact jean as the 501xx, but with selvedge and a leather patch?

hey,

i just got a pair of these. the manager at the levisstore says it's a new STF 501 Selvage, not sold online or anywhere else. retails $98. he said that they are 13.5oz, and that they are a quality between LVC (14.5oz he says) and the old crappy STF 501 nonselvage that retails for $46, (11 oz he says).

i used a 30% off coupon that the levisstore emailed to me (it's expired now) two weeks ago. yes, they are different from the $46 STF, Capital E's, and the LVCs. how accurate they measured the weight of their denim is questionable though... I guess i can post pictures when i break them in more, to see if it's really 13.5oz.

hope this helps!

what size ranges do these come in?

cheers

I can confirm that these exist too. When I was at the Levi's Store on Broadway in Soho a couple weeks back I saw these, but not in my size. In fact I only saw two pairs of these, so either they were not restocked or just selling like crazy.

i stopped by the soho levi's store after work to check these out the new selvedge 501 stf's...

i gotta say, i'm not impressed. 1st of all, the denim selvedge denim does not feel as stiff or thick as the cheap-o regular 501 STF. It feels thin and smooth to the touch. There's no way it's 14.5 oz's, or 13.5oz's, or whatever number was posted earlier. The leather patch on the back comes pre-distressed, which i think is pretty beat. The cut is also completely different than the regular 501 STF. Much baggier in the waist, thigh, and all throughout. I normally wear a snug 36 in 501 STF's, and was absolutely swimming in a size 36 of new selvedge version. All in all, i was really unimpressed with them. Totally for hypebeast kids that want to cuff their jeans and show a selvedge line.

Sorry Levi's, too little, too late.

So anyways, I ended up getting a 33x34. In retrospect, I could have probably stayed w/ the intial 32x34 and had gotten a better fit. At the time I thought my STF were 32x32 and after a soak shrunk to a tight fit I no longer liked, but turns out the STF I have are 30x32..

I compared my 30x32 STF and these 33x34 (post warm wash+dry), and they are about the same, meaning that the STF are much bigger than these 1947 "Limited Edition." The ones I have came w/ a tag saying they are exact replicas of the 1947 jeans (minus the selvage obviously). Denim does not feel as stiff as the STF. There are no W + L numbers on the patch like unlike the STFs. The leg is a bit baggier at the hem than I wanted so I think I will get them taken in by about 1.5" or so. If anyone is interested in my post warm wash+dry fit, I'll take some pics.

is it just me, or is levi's run by a bunch of complete fucking idiots? they have no fucking clue.

yeah i also forgot to add that there are no rivets on the back pockets... just regular bar tacks.

if they uset back pocket rivets, an unworn leather patch, a chainstitched hem, got the cut right, and used some HALFWAY decent denim, they'd have an incredible pair of jeans on hand. instead, more shit...

so levis is finaly doing this... ive been saying thats what they need to do for a long time. are they made in the us?

The ones I have seen are made in Mexico.

I don't think they are all that bad, although the Capital E's and LVCs are better. The weight quoted by a previous poster at 13.5oz seems about right, and the denim is a lot darker than the cheapo shrinkies. You get a leather 47 style patch, but no hidden rivets or chainstitched hems.