wet selvedge?

cw

how freaked out are you guys about not getting your selvedge wet? like in the rain or whatever. i'm trying to convince myself that it's crazy to be so careful with them. but i don't want to fuck them up either. shouldn't i just wear em and whatever happens happens?

Quote:

how freaked out are you guys about not getting your selvedge wet? like in the rain or whatever. i'm trying to convince myself that it's crazy to be so careful with them. but i don't want to fuck them up either. shouldn't i just wear em and whatever happens happens?

--- Original message by cw on Jul 17, 2005 05:26 PM

Washing them now and then won't do them any harm either...and your non-denim-nerdy friends will thank you for it lol.

PS. If you're worried about getting your jeans wet, this old thread might help you:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2467

When they get unbearably dirty, a cold water inside-out wash using a mild detergent like a simple vegetable (castille) soap - ph neutral, non biological (no enzymes), no whiteners (phosphates) - should do the trick.

Quote:

thanks fellas. that's what i was looking for.

btw, they're rrl selvedge. supposedly japanes denim. they feel really nice, but i was wondering if you guys new any more about them...

--- Original message by cw on Jul 18, 2005 07:24 AM

I've just worn my rrl vintage wash selvedge jeans in the rain, so you've got nothing to worry about.

What would you like to know about rrl? It's Ralph Lauren's premium denim line which was discontinued a few seasons ago, but is on it's way back.

I've had my pair for 4 months now and have yet to wash them. They've developed some nice wear over that time, but it's a slow process as they were bought washed rather than raw.

I'm going to hold out on washing them, as I really like the way they fit at the moment. However, the label on the inside of the fly does say 'Sanforized', so I'm confident that washing them won't have a major effect on the size and fit.

Quote:

thanks sway

hm... so after the first wash? anything could happen?

--- Original message by showbiz00ditc on Jul 19, 2005 06:33 PM

No, it just minimizes shrinking in general... I just mentioned the first wash cuz that's where most of the shrinking happens.