Ato Matsumoto sneaker

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I haven't seen this issue of complex, nor do I give a fuck what Kanye decides to wear. I personally like to find the redeeming quality in him choosing to don brands that the typical kid in the hood isn't seeing on regular basis. What might that be? Helping in the development of a taste that extends beyond homogenious look that probably dominates said kid's neighborhood. Sometimes the snobery of this place is laughable. I'm sure everyones been in selvage and CdG since they were fetuses, I know I was... :rolleyes:

that's fucking stupid.

cultivating a taste for luxury goods in people who can often barely afford necessities?

who are already the unfair target of marketing campaigns that make them feel

like degenerates if they don't own 300 nike shoes? what use is good taste when you

can't even get a taste of equality?

have some perspective on the socio-cultural implications of consumerism, please.

thanks a lot.

i just can't understand how someone finds our 'snobbery' laughable but then partakes entirely at the "i'm a snob because i can't understand that the homogeneity of dress in

the 'hood' has a lot more to do with economics than fashion sense" buffet.

that's fucking stupid.

cultivating a taste for luxury goods in people who can often barely afford necessities?

who are already the unfair target of marketing campaigns that make them feel

like degenerates if they don't own 300 nike shoes? what use is good taste when you

can't even get a taste of equality?

have some perspective on the socio-cultural implications of consumerism, please.

My arguement isn't about consumerism and buying high priced items, but about aesthetic and personal taste. Since many people like what they know know/shun the unfamiliar or different

My point wasn't that people in the hood should be desiring CdG, but that they might learn to appreciate another aesthetic. Not many can afford to own said brand regardless of living in the hood or suburb, but do aspire to own things like it/adopt an aesthetic might be similar

I also happen to be speaking on this from a personal perspective. I grew up in Brooklyn, East NY what some might arguably call the "hood". However, for high school I went to school in midtown Manhattan around all the luxury stores. I'm sure being there (among other things in my life) really helped to broaden my horizons. I now work at a Contemporary market womenswear company as a designer. My point is that at some level seeing something "different" on Kanye could serve as a catalyst for some kid who regularly doesn't get to see those things. Maybe prompting him to check out SoHo or midtown and open themselves up culturally

I just don't get why it even matters how or why Kanye happened upon higher end niche brands. Which is why I made the that last statement. It's as if someone can't evolve or change their style. I know many have done that here on this very board after spending time on here.

Anyway, this is fucking stupid. I feel like I've lost brain cells arguing a point that really is moot in grand scheme of my life. Wether you, I or anyone else likes what, how, or why Kanye wears something isn't going to save the world, stop the war in Iraq, or enrich any of our lives...

My arguement isn't about consumerism and buying high priced items, but about aesthetic and personal taste. Since many people like what they know know/shun the unfamiliar or different

My point wasn't that people in the hood should be desiring CdG, but that they might learn to appreciate another aesthetic. Not many can afford to own said brand regardless of living in the hood or suburb, but do aspire to own things like it/adopt an aesthetic might be similar

I also happen to be speaking on this from a personal perspective. I grew up in Brooklyn, East NY what some might arguably call the "hood". However, for high school I went to school in midtown Manhattan around all the luxury stores. I'm sure being there (among other things in my life) really helped to broaden my horizons. I now work at a Contemporary market womenswear company as a designer. My point is that at some level seeing something "different" on Kanye could serve as a catalyst for some kid who regularly doesn't get to see those things. Maybe prompting him to check out SoHo or midtown and open themselves up culturally

I just don't get why it even matters how or why Kanye happened upon higher end niche brands. Which is why I made the that last statement. It's as if someone can't evolve or change their style. I know many have done that here on this very board after spending time on here.

Anyway, this is fucking stupid. I feel like I've lost brain cells arguing a point that really is moot in grand scheme of my life. Wether you, I or anyone else likes what, how, or why Kanye wears something isn't going to save the world, stop the war in Iraq, or enrich any of our lives...

i agree with you completely.

it's not that serious.

noooowwww you're talkin'. it just seemed like you were saying that the world

would be a better place if hood rats fiended for CdG coats instead of North Faces.

No way, I don't even like CdG, hahaha. I respect it in the sense of pushing the boundaries and making us question fashion, but personally would probably never buy their clothing.

Guest jmatsu

quote]

it's not that he wears certain brands that many here are fond of, but the fact that he fronts like he's some sort of fashionista or has been down with this shit for ages. he hasn't even evolved. he dresses basically the same. it's just that the labels he wears would seem prolific to a certain crowd (and that is the sum of his narcissitic agenda) his "wouldn't you like to know" caption for this very shoe was rather insulting if not trite.

it's like how whiteboys get called out for trying to rep hiphop or whatever.

it's not that he wears certain brands that many here are fond of, but the fact that he fronts like he's some sort of fashionista or has been down with this shit for ages. he hasn't even evolved. he dresses basically the same. it's just that the labels he wears would seem prolific to a certain crowd (and that is the sum of his narcissitic agenda) his "wouldn't you like to know" caption for this very shoe was rather insulting if not trite.

it's like how whiteboys get called out for trying to rep hiphop or whatever..

One could argue that being exclusive is an inherent part hip hop/street culture...

Guest jmatsu

One could argue that being exclusive is an inherent part hip hop/street culture...

i wasn't trying to argue the point of as to whether or not exclusivity in terms of labels/consumer goods is a legitimate aspect of hiphop culture, but for argument's sake let's assume that it is.

it just seems like one big excuse for kanye or whoever to wear a bunch of "exclusive" (exclusive to his general consumer medium) labels because he is a figure in the hip hop industry ("culture"). if this is true, then the hiphop "culture's" mentality seems ridiculously flawed.

again, my point was about credibility. isn't that an important factor of hiphop? should his new found love of haute/belgian/jap fashion be taken seriously? i mean he can wear whatever he wants, i don't have a problem with that. it's just the attitude and (feigned) fashion credibility which he so desperately tries to evoke that is questionable to the point of irritation. anyway i know little of hiphop culuture/whatever so please enlighten me.

i know my hips and my hops, and i think youre completely right.

beyond exclusivity, beyond fresh style, beyond all the artifice, the one thing that makes or breaks a hip hop artist is their cred. and that cred can be totally immaterial and feigned- you don't have to actually walk the walk, but if you can make people believe that you do, then you're golden- all you have to do that point is talk the talk over the course of a 50 minute album.

kanye can wear whatever he wants, and he can style himself in those clothes however he pleases. however, his sudden embrace of haute fashion over the course of the past year reeks of insincerity. i believed in kanye when he was wearing polo, still rooted in his working class chicago base. i even believed in kanye when he jumped into the Bape bandwagon. but now all he talks about in interviews is how fashion forward he is and whatnot, and it just sounds like a fucking fanboy jerking off over his limited experiential vocabulary. ok cool, you were photographed wearing a jeremy scott sweater, awesome- but chill the fuck out.

the thing is, all of kanye's arrogance was bearable before his stylistic shift, at least to me personally, because his arrogance was earned. he knew polo, he knew bape, they were things that he was knowledgeable about and could speak intelligently about. now,

all he does is feign exclusivity and mumble shit about mcqueen and dries van noten and act like he's super down with high fashion.

it is exactly like a white kid from wisconsin trying to act hood. it just doesnt work.

Guest jmatsu
i seriously dont see the big deal over these shoes anyway..

They're not that great

it's not about the shoes so much,b ut kanye's recent consumption/public-projection and the ramifications of credibility as opposed to hiphop.

while i don't think they're that great either, i would prefer their likes or any ato matsumoto piece to that of your brownsound jacket or shit of the sort. no hate.

ahah, i had a feeling you'd go after the jacket.. I should just wear it in one of my WAYWTS just to see the reactions..

Off topic here but jmatz, be honest here.. do you think these shoes are nice? I plan on pickin em up..thought id get some honest opinions on em..

img10014246306sc4.jpg

I still disagree on this one. I mean, I can think of tons of times artist have adopted brands and probably have known nothing about them or their history, however only because they were consider cool, different, and/or luxurious in some circle (streetwear somewhere else like Japan, amongst the high fashion sect, etc.) Plus, name dropping labels is nothing new, he's just doing what has been going on since what seems like forever.

Just off the top of my head I can think of a couple of labels that fit the above description.

Coogi

Evisu

Gucci shoes (the 80's one that Jay-Z copied for S. Carters)

LV (especially in the 80's when everyone was putting LV on everything)

Versace

Chanel

I mean, how is it any different from when Big was name dropping Versace? Is it because you believe Kanye acts like he really knows these labels? Is it not plausible to believe that he actually might be a new found fan of the brands he's been name dropping/donning because they're exclusive? The guy does get invites to fashion shows (See Kanye in LRG hoodie @ Stella Mc Cartney.) But for the sake of argument, let’s assume he doesn’t and he's saying everything he has for the sake of sounding credible/knowing what's up. Even if he weren't does not what he says in interviews at least fake it enough for the average Joe to believe? I'm sure Joe Hood isn't going to second guess whatever Kanye is talking when he’s name-dropping Dries in a magazine.

When it comes down to it Fashion (yes, with a capital “Fâ€) on some level is about exclusivity. It’s the reason why Burberry doesn’t want chavs in novacheck and why people wait list for a Goyard or Birken. So, I see Kanye as just playing this up and also follwing a long standing hip hop/street tradition. To me what he saying doesn’t sound any different than what any socialite or magazine editor might say when asked about the brands they like (which may or may not make it anymore justified as all can be very annoying.)

Guest jmatsu

they're okay. i wish the toe didn't protrude upwards so much. i think they could work depending on what is paired with them.

i can't really see them too well. i would suggest enlarging and putting this in the small questions thread, or maybe start a a new thread in trash.

kanye can wear whatever he wants, and he can style himself in those clothes however he pleases. however, his sudden embrace of haute fashion over the course of the past year reeks of insincerity.......

it is exactly like a white kid from wisconsin trying to act hood. it just doesnt work.

I don't feel this is really a valid comparison. Street cred is a matter of upbringing and social/geographical circumstances, whereas fashion is simply there to be adopted by whomever. The idea that you need to have certain roots or pre-requisites in order to claim appreciation of haute design with credibility is ridiculous. Nobody in this forum gave a shit about, or was privy to, any of the elite designers for the vast majority of their upbringing. If fashion, like rap, was a matter of certain pedigree, then the only people allowed on this forum would be tall, white, skinny as fuck, and from Tokyo or Antwerp. And if I'm not mistaken, omc is a slightly portly Puerto Rican of average height.

A year is a very long time in the style world. How many people here migrated from camping out for Nike/Supreme blazers and to APC to Diors. A couple of authoritative posts on the internet and all of a sudden we are all lifelong devotees of handmade, artisianal goods from countries we've never even been to. Is that being insincere or just wisening up? If Kanye wants to act like he's the first rapper to get into Dries Van Noten, I'm cool with it. It's better than pretending that you used to deal or shot people up on the regular just to sell some records.

I don't even like Kanye's music very much nor do I think he looks good most of the time. But as a kid he used to enter oil painting competitions and went to school on (I think) a classic music scholarship. Who knows what hobbies he had and what supergay magazines he's been reading and for how long.

edit: And yea those sneakers are fucking ugly.

the problem with this dude is that he always feels the need to brag instead of letting the clothes and the music speak for themselves. as far as i remember he claimed to be "paper denim for life" about 3 years ago, now he wouldn't even wipe his ass with anything less than dior jeans. it's just a matter of time before he jumps on the next trend while majority of fashion hiphop population adapts in fear that the brand they regarded so highly not too long before "fell off." this is exactly why brands such as crystal don't want to be associated with hiphop artists.

I don't feel this is really a valid comparison. Street cred is a matter of upbringing and social/geographical circumstances, whereas fashion is simply there to be adopted by whomever. The idea that you need to have certain roots or pre-requisites in order to claim appreciation of haute design with credibility is ridiculous. Nobody in this forum gave a shit about, or was privy to, any of the elite designers for the vast majority of their upbringing. If fashion, like rap, was a matter of certain pedigree, then the only people allowed on this forum would be tall, white, skinny as fuck, and from Tokyo or Antwerp. And if I'm not mistaken, omc is a slightly portly Puerto Rican of average height.

A year is a very long time in the style world. How many people here migrated from camping out for Nike/Supreme blazers and to APC to Diors. A couple of authoritative posts on the internet and all of a sudden we are all lifelong devotees of handmade, artisianal goods from countries we've never even been to. Is that being insincere or just wisening up? If Kanye wants to act like he's the first rapper to get into Dries Van Noten, I'm cool with it. It's better than pretending that you used to deal or shot people up on the regular just to sell some records.

I don't even like Kanye's music very much nor do I think he looks good most of the time. But as a kid he used to enter oil painting competitions and went to school on (I think) a classic music scholarship. Who knows what hobbies he had and what supergay magazines he's been reading and for how long.

edit: And yea those sneakers are fucking ugly.

i dont wanna jack this thread but I saw a qoute from kanye saying the only person in the music industry that he felt was legitimate enough to challenge him was justin timberlake....and that he believed that they were just like prince and michael jackson in the 80's.......this comment made me throw up in my mouth....and hate kanya west....the only reason i bring this up is that you said he supposedly went to school on a classical music scholarship......sounds like bs to me ...he isnt worthy of kissing princes feet....