NYC in VIE

AstroWolf

Greetings and salutations to you all. I am currently writing on a qwertz Keyboard, and i feel the difference.

So, i am in VIE (Vienna) for the next week or so, and want to know some good stuff to do with me and my lady friend that will lead her to believe i actually have some tricks up my sleeve in this town. She is from here, so its not so urgent, but i would like to know a trick or two to bring game to the table.

Music, clubs, food, hot spots, dives, its all good to me, the more i know the better, were both insomniacs, so we got nothing but time.

Thanks for the help SuFu, Kick ass, take names, smoke em if you got em.

You're 2 days late, RJD2 was playing here on friday.

Here's something I wrote up for someone in a PM a few months ago. Not all of it is relevant to you, but to be honest I don't have time to write something similar again right now.

First off, I have to apologize for not including addresses. I just don't know any. Nobody here describes locations in terms of the street they're on (with the exception of 5 or 6 major streets). Also, you can find the addresses of everything quite easily in the yellow pages.

For shopping, Vienna isn't really that great in comparison to most other cities that have a similar reputation. There are, however, a few shops that are absolutely amazing. My absolute favorite store is Park (www.park.co.at). It's more of a concept store, and they're between seasons right now (but so is everybody else), but it's still a must see. The people that work there are amazing, fashion and design are really their passions and they are extremely down to earth. Another great place is Chegini. The store really has a "superfuture aesthetic". They sell stuff like Ann D., Dior, Undercover, and many other brands along those lines. The workers there are also very nice. One time, I literally tried on every single leather jacket that they had in my size, ended up not buying one, and they didn't even care. If you're into bespoke clothing, my absolute favorite is Knize. They also have a lot of great ready to wear, including some of the best shirts and knitwear I've ever seen.There's another amazing shop, but I can't remember the name right now. If you're on Kaerntnerstrasse coming from Stephansplatz, it's on the left on the corner of some little alley that branches off. If you like Ludwig Reiter shoes, you definitely shouldn't miss out on the shop.The few shops that are worth visiting in other districts are already listed on Superfuture. With the exception of Ra'an, everything in their very brief Vienna list still exists I believe.

For museums, I don't think there are many "obscure" places to see. The main ones are the Kunsthistorische and Naturhistorische Museum, Kunstforum, MUMOK (Museum der Modernen Kunst), and Kunsthalle. Though personally, I like the first two for their architecture more than anything else.

For restaurants, there are a few obvious ones that have a great reputation for a reason (Do&Co, Fabio's, etc.), but there are also many great other places. My favorite for lunch is the restaurant in Meinl am Graben (which, by the way, is the most amazing grocery store ever). You usually have to book at least a week in advance though. In the early afternoon, a great place to go is Immervoll. They are one of the last places really serving a high-quality "traditional" Schnitzel. Limes is a really nice new place on Hoher Markt. The food is in my opinion better than Do&Co and it's cheaper, and the interior design is breathtaking. But the ceilings are so high that the acoustics are absolutely terrible and having a conversation on a table of eight is difficult. For two people, it's great though.

A few other random tidbits... If at all possible, visit Naschmarkt really early on a Saturday morning. There's a lot of treasures to be found there, but 99% is junk. My favorite cafe is just across from the street from Naschmarkt. It's called Mocca Club, and while it's not at all a traditional Viennese place, it has a great atmosphere and an amazing selection of coffee. Many of my favorite places have already been bought out by Starbucks. Tricaffe at the Boerse is great, the one on Rotenturmstrasse isn't.

Prater isn't worth seeing unless you like drugs and prostitutes. If anyone tells you that having dinner at a Heuriger is something any visitor has to do, they just want your money. Stay away from Schwedenplatz at night, the rest of the 1st district is always safe. Flex (www.flex.at) is probably one of the strangest places ever. It's one of the dirtiest and cheapest-looking clubs ever, but they have the most expensive sound system in Austria (I think in all of Europe) and they constantly get high class acts. Clubbing in general really sucks in Vienna. All of the decent places become hangouts for one of the major private school and then get filled up with the stereotypical people that go to that specific school within weeks. The drinking age of 16 and the ridiculously easy availability of fake IDs is both a blessing and a curse in this regard. There are a few semi-"scene" places (think half cobrasnake, half stuck-up old money kids), but I really don't know too much about those.

hey man, first off tanks soooo much for a great list of ideas... i was actually at the RJD2 show, and thought it was a bit odd, as it was waaay more live than i would have expected.

kudos and thanks for the light and ideas my man...

Edit... the american bar is evil evil good. amazing even.