Are Western goods significantly more expensive in Beijing and Shanghai compared to HK

Unfortunately I can't go to HK this year and I'm going to be living in Beijing for the summer. I'm definitely going to go to Shanghai, but should I do most of my shopping in Beijing or Shanghai? I'm mainly looking for stores like Dior, Givenchy, and other Western labels. Someone said that it's a lot more expensive as a result of the duties, but I'm not sure how much more they were talking about.

I would think so, because China is communist and thus, would encourage the use of its own resources, products, etc.

Everything that it cannot supply itself, it will buy overseas.

So, yes... Western things are more expensive in China.

But it must be noted that China also makes most Western things.

If you're talking about Western things as in 'produced in the West, resources from the West', then I believe that it will be significantly higher due to higher wage, import duty and tax, and such...

But, one must be reminded that the Chinese wage isn't high, so prices would be lowered so that people can buy things (well, this is 'communism').

Basically what I'm trying to say is... I don't know.

I would think so, because China is communist and thus, would encourage the use of its own resources, products, etc.

If you're talking about Western things as in 'produced in the West, resources from the West', then I believe that it will be significantly higher due to higher wage, import duty and tax, and such...

But, one must be reminded that the Chinese wage isn't high, so prices would be lowered so that people can buy things (well, this is 'communism').

What about some examples?

Haha, this is so wrong. Being a communist state has absolutely nothing in the way business is conducted in China. In fact, it is more greedy and capitalist there than just about everywhere else I've been in the world.

Prices in Shangai and China are not going to differ much from each other, especially if you are going to the official flagship stores. I'd personally recommend Shanghai as a more shopping oriented destination because you'll find more labels there as well as bigger stores and selection. Btw in Beijing almost all of the designer content is concentrated on women's stuff and accessories.

yeah shopping should be fine in shanghai.. last time i visited a friend there i remember seeing a lot of flagship stores in the major shopping areas.. i forget the names of the streets/areas tho... wai hai lu? and along the bund...

price difference shouldnt be that significant.

haha, was just foolin with you all.

of course it's impossible to have communism as a prevalent system in china anyway - it's so huge.

holy shit, this is the most retarded thing i've read in a hella long time. talk about having a misconception of what modern-day communism in china is.

Unfortunately I can't go to HK this year and I'm going to be living in Beijing for the summer. I'm definitely going to go to Shanghai, but should I do most of my shopping in Beijing or Shanghai? I'm mainly looking for stores like Dior, Givenchy, and other Western labels. Someone said that it's a lot more expensive as a result of the duties, but I'm not sure how much more they were talking about.

Read in another forum, in fact an intensive debate on this.

There is a rumoured unsavoury practise among the expensive Chinese boutiques.

Which is the SAs swopping the genuine articles from the shops with fakes and selling the genuine articles on their own. Believe you me, the top quality fakes are real good. For your own peace of mind, dont buy it in China even if the pricing is good.

Hey, I even see Chinese buying branded stuff overseas.

dood just drop like 2 bills and fly down to HK!

anyways what your looking for is all in shanghai... they have a few streetwear shops in shanghai as well... and i think there is a clot store there as well too??

but yeah... lv, dior, givenchy and the stuff u mentioned all there

hey. I live in Shanghai now, while they have alot of stuff I think it is quite expensive here. most western brands are subjected to higher luxury taxes I think?. If you want to do big shopping, go to HK, it will save you money. Like a pair of 19cm Diors MIJ, wil l set you back about 500 dollars at I.T shop here in Shanghai

haha high end brands as expensive as shit here. but if you have to shop stop by plaza 66 on nanjing rd- has a dior boutique, an I.T (a givenchy boutique too i believe?), and later this year a Joyce will be opening there.

make sure to stop by the uniqlo in pudong.

holy shit, this is the most retarded thing i've read in a hella long time. talk about having a misconception of what modern-day communism in china is.

ahhh shit, dropped.

after reading it for the second time i realise the errors of my ways.

i shall go into hiding now.:eek:

i just came in here to ask if anyone been to the new Joyce in Shanghai yet...how does selection/price compare to the HK central main branch?

If a MMJ t-shirt here costs $6,200, i cringe at the thought of what it would be in Shanghai.

6200hkd? thats pure bollocks.

6200hkd? thats pure bollocks.

i was seriously considering getting the black triple mercerized tee w/ the hologram skull print in Japan, just for shits and giggles and to satisfy my attention whoredom here in trend obsessed HK...i figured it'd be around 20K yen, no more no less...but it's still 57K!!! Fuck that, i am not paying that much for a t-shirt that will be out of vogue in 6 months.

the mainland is sh*t for shopping, selection is poor and prices are higher than almost anywhere else (import duty on "luxury goods" is still very high).

if youre serious about shopping, you need to go to HK. Seoul or Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya can also easily be reached from BJ and SH.

• 2 weeks later...
Read in another forum, in fact an intensive debate on this.

There is a rumoured unsavoury practise among the expensive Chinese boutiques.

Which is the SAs swopping the genuine articles from the shops with fakes and selling the genuine articles on their own. Believe you me, the top quality fakes are real good. For your own peace of mind, dont buy it in China even if the pricing is good.

Hey, I even see Chinese buying branded stuff overseas.

I don't intend to buy luxury goods from any of the Chinese boutiques. I'm only going to go to the real store to buy like Dior Homme. Or unless you're suggesting those stores are carrying fakes as well?

haha high end brands as expensive as shit here. but if you have to shop stop by plaza 66 on nanjing rd- has a dior boutique, an I.T (a givenchy boutique too i believe?), and later this year a Joyce will be opening there.

make sure to stop by the uniqlo in pudong.

I will, but I'm just wondering if the sizes there are cut more so for Asians? I find that even the smallest size (XS) in Uniqlo NY is still a bit too big for me in some areas.

I will, but I'm just wondering if the sizes there are cut more so for Asians? I find that even the smallest size (XS) in Uniqlo NY is still a bit too big for me in some areas.

yup, I bought a bunch of cool tees from Uniqlo Shanghai last year and they fit a little smaller (and better) than US sizes. the prices are better there too, perfect oppurtunity for you to stock up.

Hong Kong would be the best of all three (no tax!), with Shang Hai coming in second (selection wise), but price will be a huge difference since in Shang Hai if you purchase anything theres still tax. I wouldnt count on Beijing. Poor selection with huge mark up tax diff.

i was seriously considering getting the black triple mercerized tee w/ the hologram skull print in Japan, just for shits and giggles and to satisfy my attention whoredom here in trend obsessed HK...i figured it'd be around 20K yen, no more no less...but it's still 57K!!! Fuck that, i am not paying that much for a t-shirt that will be out of vogue in 6 months.

MMJ as in Marc by Marc Jacobs or Mastermind?:confused:

I just dont get the hype with Mastermind, its basically just t shirts with printed skulls. Nothing out of this world or innovative.:mad: