Suggestions for repair to my '47 501s...

Shorty Long

i have a pair of '47 501s that i bought 'deadstock' about 4 yrs ago. i've worn them to death and the denim in the crotch area (really a small area up from the crotch towards the back and below the seat) is just about worn out. i've sent them to the Flagship in SF for minor repairs to a small hole in that area, but i'm now thinking that the whole area needs fixing.

any suggestions on how to do this? anyone have any experience with the Levi Flagship and major repair to their jeans? if i should need some extra fabric, does anyone know where i can get some 'vintage quality' scrap pieces?

thanks...

aprons are on ebay every once in a while. just search for vintage aprons and the look for the selvage on the sides or the bottom. They are perfect because they are about 9 oz which is easier to work wih than jean denim, and with the selvage edge, you only have to fold over 3 sides.

I do my own repairs by hand with a single needle. you should reinforce the worn area because you are going to only create more wear down there. I, myself, don't wear holes in the crotches of my jeans, but have repaied a few vintage jeans with worn crotches and they come out looking great. It seams that you either cause wear down there or you don't. Most likely, Levis will do a blind repair like that on the 45 rpm site. I prefer using cloth behind the repair because a blind repair does a lot of damage to the original denim by stabbing it a couple of thousand times with a needle. a mixture of the two is great aswell.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jun 21, 2005 at 03:46 PM

Thanks! I ask because I am planning on converting my A.P.C. "Rescues" to A.P.C. "Rescues with a bootcut because I hate how it bunches above my shoes".

thanks for all the info...i, however, have never had a sewing needle in my hand

these are my favorite jeans (my 1st pair of LVCs) i really want to make sure the job's done right, and i really don't trust myself...i'll look for the denim aprons and go from there i guess...mayble if i'm really specific, a tailor or the levi store can do a good job for me