martini

of gin/vermouth variety. if you don't mind, let's keep vodka out of this thread.

i like just a small amount of vermouth; just to coat the glass and pool a little in the middle. i like to add an ice cube and pour gin slowly over it. then stir with an olive on a pick.

i've been keeping my gin in the freezer, but now i fear that i am dulling the botanical aromas.

anyone have any preferences?

shaken? stirred?

my favorite gin right now is hendricks. i also like blue coat. at the moment, i am drinking plymouths. i do like tanqueray and bombay.

i use a martini glass made of glass. i came across stainless steel martini glasses that are supposed to keep the cocktail cooler. anyone tried these?

metal picks anyone?

Pour about a half ounce of vermouth into your martini glass, swirl, then dump out.

Pour gin (Tanqaray 10 or Bombay Saphire) into shaker filled with ice. Shake vigourously.

Put three olives on a toothpick, and put it in the glass. Pour gin over them.

Drink.

Never dirty.

Beefeater is my favorite. I like Tanqueray too, not Bombay, either. Hendricks is good too, I just got hipped to it. I've also had Junipero, Boodles, and Plymouth - all good. Basically, I like most gins with the exception of Damrak. It's horrible, IMO.

Vermouth, yes. I feel like most bars don't use enough.

Shaken roughly. Once poured, I want to see little chards of ice floating on the surface although I doubt this has any effect on taste. Maybe I'll stir it next time?

Two olives. I never cared for the twist.

I haven't had one in awhile. I'm offically sched. a martini for Friday.

coincidentally, i did a lot of reading about churchill today, specifically about his drinking habits. here's what i found:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=99

he did live to be 90 years old. can't do that by bombarding your liver with spirits.

martini drinkers, do you find it convenient to have a vermouth spritzer? one pump provides the perfect amount of finely misted vermouth, just enough to lightly coat the glass.

LNS141_MartiniSpritzer_01.jpg

wow. did someone say 3 olives?

i do one, sometimes two.

i like to use pitted olives that are NOT stuffed.

it seems that the deeper i get into the martini scene the more purist i become. (i've found the same thing with jeans. i keep wanting to get closer to loomstate.) but i always want a little bit of vermouth to round out the sometimes aggressive "bite" of the gin.

miz, that vermouth mist seems bogus. i like crafting the martini with as few tools as possible. i don't like using shakers, strainers and the like.

I always prefered the lemon rind twirl as opposed to olives, but then again I never really liked olives by themselves.

Also shaken only once or twice then quickly pouring so not to get any melting of the crushed ice.

In the US is a vodka martini more popular? I like bombay saphire more for martinis, tanqueray is better for G&T I think, never really spend too much more on GIn, although have heard good things about Plymouth Gin.