Anybody Dealt with a "Quarter-life" Crisis?

Sayword

i second..

another thread on teen/20's whining about stress blah blah blah. Just cause you have the fucking internet now and wikipedia, you think you have psychoanalyzed every problem known to man, and you have it. Fucking psycho-hypochondriacs....yes i agree with mwrnchd, fucking suck it up, quit living off the govt/your parents/etc. and get a real life.

We've all been through this phase in our lives, you are not special.

God damn, my kid is going through deuce crisis. She' learning how to control her bowels and not piss and shit in her pants. She's also dealing with bottle withdrawal issues.

She is laughing at your problems and just called you a bunch of whiny bitches.

hey... mine too... maybe we should start a thread about it!!!!!

^ just don't rest all your laurels on the hands of others. defining who you are by your job is pretty limiting.

God damn, my kid is going through deuce crisis. She' learning how to control her bowels and not piss and shit in her pants. She's also dealing with bottle withdrawal issues.

i hear those bottle anonymous meetings work well.

and mr. wrenchild, what a fucking horrid outlook on life. this sounds like the dickshit teachers in my elementary school who would say shit like "YEAH? Well life's not fair, get used to it." Great life lesson there Mr. Asshead.

Actually, I'm quite the optimist and have a lot of faith in other people -- to the point that it annoys the hell out of my misanthrope wife. I feel bad for the OP and hope that his/her crisis passes and things look up, truly I do -- and I don't mean to direct my consternation at Sayword.

I just have little patience in a generalized sense for these naive ideas of limitless opportunity, that you can have whatever you want if you just "do what makes you happy", that life will be fed to you by a silver spoon if you are a good person. Truth is, we are not owed anything. A quarter-life crisis is a "crisis" of privilege.

Being a self-sufficient adult in this modern hypercapitalist world means learning how to put up with bullshit, working as hard as needed to reach your goals, and still figuring out a way to lead a reasonably happy life with the people you care most about. Part of that is realizing that it is not a level playing field, you can't have whatever you want, and you probably won't find both self-actualization and financial security in the workplace. It means growing up, setting goals, assessing your environment, rolling up your sleeves, enjoying the ride, taking risks, accepting failure.

It's not rocket science.

Mid twenties breakdowns are informed by the same things as teenage angst only with a slightly different set of attachments that are in turn informed by where you are mentally and where you put yourself physically. You want to feel better at any age, isolate and break your attachments to the things that don't work for you, whether they're people, places, substances or ideas.

I'm not sure why it's so offensive to some of you for people to look for affiliation when they're going through a hard time, particularly since "we all go through it". The desire for an engaged, pleasurable, and meaningful life is something that everyone experiences, and until those three facets are reasonably taken care of, it's hard to be happy. Just because some of you don't think these are problems for people doesn't mean that they aren't experienced as real and painful.

*gets ready for attacks on "psychobabble" etc.*