Chanel J12 vs Dior Chiffre Rouge

stabby

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting a watch but I can't decide which at the moment. Wondering if any of you own either one of these watches and/or have opinions on them. I'm looking specifically at the Chanel J12 Black Ceramic Watch Model #h0939 with the black rubber strap and also the Dior Chiffre Rough A05 Black Chronograph.

Also if any watch enthusiasts happen to read this, would you mind sharing any ideas why the Chanel watch is slightly more expensive than the Dior one although both are chronograph and automatic watches. (Is it just because it's ceramic? Or are Chanel watches just more valuable?)

Hope to get some helpful feedback! Thanks :)

Guest Chocodove2

Both have the exact same movement in them made by ETA, so it has nothing to do with what's under the hood. Personally I think the Dior is a far better lookign watch, and you don't see nearly as many fakes around. When I think of Chanel I think of those blingy white diamond studded watches that I see on the look-at-me housewives where I live. Both are nice watches though, so I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

I'd actually skip both and go with Panerai...amazing watches.

Thanks for the feedback so far. If I am not mistaken, I have seen a couple of the white ceramic fakes around. Haven't seen any of the black ones around. More opinions are welcomed :)

I've been trying to upload the pics of these watches. Somehow I haven't been able to! Sorry for the inconvenience. Eluxury has the Dior watch, and a google of the chanel j12 with the model number would lead you right to it. I will try again to upload the pics.

Both have the exact same movement in them made by ETA, so it has nothing to do with what's under the hood. Personally I think the Dior is a far better lookign watch, and you don't see nearly as many fakes around. When I think of Chanel I think of those blingy white diamond studded watches that I see on the look-at-me housewives where I live. Both are nice watches though, so I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

I'd actually skip both and go with Panerai...amazing watches.

what he said

only down side to a panerai is every banker on wall street has one now

The chanel watch looks like ironman at walmart? Really? Im not in the states and the ironman watches I see here dont look like that.

Thanks for uploading the pics Who? but the J12 I am thinking of is the chronograph one and with a rubber bracelet, think it looks more sporty.

So more people leaning towards the Dior huh?

I've got one of the standard silver chifre rouges. I love the watch, but recently during vacation the bank somehow got bent. I have no idea how this happened since I was just walking around wearing it. Now if I bend my wrist too far it'll pop open. It's kind of a pain in the ass, because now I have to see about getting the band replaced.

I'm very much into the design of the dior watches, but the chanel might have better quality overall.

As a watch enthusiast I can't help but wonder why you'd spend that much money on what I would consider a "fashion" watch. I'd buy a Rolex Explorer 1 if I were you.

yeah, i was going to say something similar as josephr, not so much as a watch entusiast but someone who would buy a cartier tank francais or a santos over those 2 anyday. i'll even up the panerais and uboats. this is based purely on aesthetic and what ive seen on the guys that come thru my store. i dont have the means to even research a nice watch yet . . .

besides, i know its a men's watch but i don't know if i could wear anythign that said chanel. kind of like when u think classic levi's -- james dean, marlon brando, clint eastwood. with chanel i think coco, marilyn monroe, softness, frilly, karl lagerfield with his waif muses. i think a man's wristwatch is the one piece of jewelry we can have to make a real statement without looking overly jeweled. i'd spend my money on something better.

I wouldn't pay for any of those fashion watches--I mean, that Dior Homme model is a complete rip-off of a Rolex design.

The Chanel's design is actually slightly better, but I certainly wouldn't buy it unless you want to be one of those tacky types with a Benz SLK and an LV bag.

^^ Definitely so. Don't waste your money on a fashion watch, especially from the likes of Chanel. Cartier also falls in this category but definitely a more respectable brand, so you might want to consider something like the Santos 100 for something clean and legible to read or something more snazzy like the Roadster Chrono.

Other options would be:

1. Breitling Navitimer series

2. IWC Classic Pilot/Pilot Chrono/Portugese

3. Rolex Datejust/Submariner

Panerais were definitely hot and it seemed that the bankers in Hong Kong started this trend a while back. The only interesting thing for me about Pams are the lefty Destro historic models but then friends tell me that the watch is too fucking big and uncomfortable to wear for formal events.

In any event, you need to try on these watches and feel them out.

Thanks for the responses so far. Interesting to note how most people suggest other brands such as Omega/Rolex or IWC. I have looked at some of these brands problem is I tend to like the models that cost quite a fair bit more. On the other hand however, buying a good watch from a well renowned brand might seem like a wiser investment.

With regards to the two watches, I'm leaning more towards the Dior one for now. I've been quoted a price of about 3.3k USD. Anyone know if this is a reasonable price?

Once again all your opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks!

If you're looking at the $3K range, why don't you look at the Seiko Moonphase Spring Drive or the Oris Artelier Worldtimer? They're different and mechanically wonderful watches. They're a little under the radar but I like them for what's under their hoods. Do some research on them.

haha! hell no! not spending a cent to impress label whore chicks. the aim is more like owning a watch that I'd enjoy wearing and looks nice too.

one problem with the other suggestions is the size of the watches. i think 41mm diameter is as large as I can get away with. Having it in black would make it look a little more compact on my wrist, hence my preference for these two.

I also have reservations about buying a 'fashion' watch. But I'm thinking since my dad already has some nice watches.....:D

what about an understated IWC? they can start at aboput 3k. pure distinction and less common than those options

My top 3 within your budget:

1. IWC Aquatimer Cousteau (5-7k, depending on condition)

2. IWC Pilot Top Gun Edition (not sure of price)

3. Panerai 111i (4k)

I love watches to death, and would never pick up either of what you have selected. After a few years you will regret your purchase. I remember getting one of the G watches from Gucci. It collects dust in the corner, no value whatsoever. At the same time I purchased a used Omega Speedmaster. I still wear the Speedmaster and it has retained it's value.

If you have money to throw away then more power to you. However, go with a classic design.

seriously, if you're going for looks you can find plenty of options that look just like those. maybe not in black or white, but 10 years now, do you want to be seen with THAT dior or chanel watch? this is an assumption, but i think a person that buys a dior or chanel watch isn't going to wear it longer than that.

i like that watches like rolex, iwc, panerai etc are timeless.

and yeah, i understand cartier is first and foremost a jewelry house, so their function isn't as respected by watch enthusiasts as much as brands that are exclusively timepieces.

I am looking at all the other alternatives you guys have put forth. Really glad I decided to put out this question!

More opinions/suggestions are welcomed! I won't be rushing into this purchase too soon. By the way, are there any other wathces that are black (face and casing) like these two? I think that's what attracts me to them.

Thanks to all once again!

Any other opinions/suggestions?? I am still undecided.

Have any of you bought 2nd hand watches? I don't quite understand the idea of buying watches as a form of investment. Can you actually sell most of these timepieces for a profit in the future? (excluding the extremely sought after limited edition ones of course)

Guest Chocodove2
Any other opinions/suggestions?? I am still undecided.

Have any of you bought 2nd hand watches? I don't quite understand the idea of buying watches as a form of investment. Can you actually sell most of these timepieces for a profit in the future? (excluding the extremely sought after limited edition ones of course)

NEVER buy watches as investments, just buy what you like. Certain brands/models definately hold their value more then others, but I would never go in to it looking to make a profit. The best examples are early Panerai's, as some of them were only produced in very limited quantities.

With that being said, I can't say I could see the Dior or Chanel holding their value very well. Typical fashion watches if you ask me. With your budget you could do much better.