BANKSY Unmasked

If you ever wondered what BANKSY looks like, here he is: http://www.complex.com/blogs/?p=3820

If you’ve ever wondered what stencil painting graffiti cult hero BANKSY looks like, well here he is. Before you heap on the hate mail and claim Complex is droppin’ dimes, let it be know that this picture has been published in The Evening Standard back in 2004 and has been floating around Jamaican photographer Peter Dean Rickard’s site, The Afflicted Yard for just as long, he sold them the photo after all. Even the Wooster Collective reported on the work of Peter Dean but became conflicted and eventually succumbed to the pressures of the ‘Stencil Lobby’ and pulled the post, a first in Wooster’s history...

Guest StuckOnStupid

why the malicious tone in this blurb? Not that I give a shit about this limey and his "edgy" stencils, but i find it incredibly funny that A: a publication founded by Marc Ecko, a motherfuckin fraud douchebag who made a million off being a fake graffitti writer feels like they are allowed to take jabs at Banksy, & B: Complex - essentially a less current & lamer print edition of Hypebeast mixed with "Stuff" magazine thinks that they can take any kind of shot at Vice magazine( "not one reporter has referenced even the existence of these photos until now (except for Vice, they showed a little thumbnail back in December 2006, but do they really count?").

i love banksy, i really do; for the values he holds up, and how he chooses to display his feelings (or perhaps, the feelings of millions)on a very public platform, which cannot be traced back to him. banksy is the fucking tits, and i think you knows know it, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

i always thought it was absolutely hillarious to see what graffiti writers really looked like. growing up in the midwest we were always hardcore kids into punk and all that shit. when we'd paint at scribble jam it'd be all these turds in diaper pants with backpacks being like "yo yo ima tagbang this shiz homie" while all these nerds and weirdos painted burners on the wall.

that said, you don't have to be a rock star for your art to be good. you have people like dan colen, dash snow and ryan mcginley who are very public people, forming and shaping a context for their art to live in. their antics are like promotion for their art. but on the other hand you have graffiti, which is a very anonymous medium. its been interesting to watch dash snow and others around the aNYthing/irak camp exist in both spheres.

all that said, banksy looks like a total twat. i would have never guessed it -- if these are real -- but its not at all surprising.

complex is a boring version of cargo (which has folded) sent out to the suburban hip hop element. SNOOZE! and what's up with his store that has been COMING SOON in times square for like 4 years?

although i dont know much about street art, i still think this is kind of fucked. i read the article in the new yorker and agree with one of the people quoted who talked about ruining the myth. regardless of whether his art is overhyped, he is a dick, etc. his maintaining his anonymity was pretty cool and it sucks that some jealous prick screwed it up for financial gain.

• 1 month later...
i always thought it was absolutely hillarious to see what graffiti writers really looked like. growing up in the midwest we were always hardcore kids into punk and all that shit. when we'd paint at scribble jam it'd be all these turds in diaper pants with backpacks being like "yo yo ima tagbang this shiz homie" while all these nerds and weirdos painted burners on the wall.

?

hahaha so true.

im not really a fan of banksy but whatever, he's doing his thing.

theloin1856: what a character! lets have lunch.

Graffitti street kids shoiuld all be jailed. i saw all that crap all over nyc and its fucking stupid. All graffitti artists should be sent to jail 20 years plus for vandilization. there is a new law working to make it a terrorist crime to use graffitti. Fucking looser douchbags.

any other graffitti artist should be shot. except for banksy of course. dude is a legend.

i'm kind of pissed i couldn't neg rep this twice. you can't spell, call graffiti artists terrorists, then suck banksy's dick at the end. shut the fuck up!

how can you compare hirst and banksy? to totally different realms.

^ ^ ^

so true! because everybody knows that there's already plenty of room in jail for murders/rapists/pedophiles/etc.

also, i'm really happy to hear that there's a law making it a "terrist" act to vandalize a wall. i mean it makes me really happy to hear that our country is in such a great state at the moment that we have nothing more to worry about than kids scratching bus stops and scribbling on walls.

I guess the guy just groups Banksy in with the YBAs.

which is interesting since that movement has since grown up and is in a totally different place now. maybe he just wants banksy to be as exciting as the YBAs, which I don't think he will ever be.