New Laptop

i am looking at vaio now and there are so many series. Those small ones with webcam is way over my budget...mind to paste a link?

macbook pro...hmm...i will check it out...but if you have the time please paste the link here...thank you..

do you really not know what a macbook is? anyways, i suggest a macbook.

seconded....

oh my gosh. take a macbook.
Get a refurbished MacBook

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/61114042/wo/K07p4ggRmzEu3XSladncTG3paS2/1.0.0.23.7.5.5.1.0.1.1

Just got one - the thing arrived the next day and its brand spanking new. 300 quid off.

i got a macbook pro and i love it so much.
MACBOOK.

Ace.

MacBook or MacBook Pro.
LOL @ this pretty one-sided thread. I use a MacBook Pro which is probably more then you'll need but a MacBook to your specs would be fantastic. Once you go Mac theres no need to go back.

MacBook isn't THAT amazing (mediocre battery and it's quite bulky/heavy for a 13") but it can't be beaten for the price. Performance is great, build quality is great, ect. Sony recently released a 13" at a similar price point, and it has the same weaknesses (bulky and crap battery).

Oh, and don't buy anything by Apple without Applecare. They should just make their computers 10% more expensive and include Applecare by default.

By the way, Apple's European prices are a fucking joke. Have someone buy it for you in America and bring it back (simple... just throw away the box and unwrap all the other crap and claim he's using it). Warranties on Apple stuff work worldwide.

The MacBook with medium options (2GHz, 1GB, 80GB, SuperDrive) costs 1299 in the US, which is 650 quid. But the price on apple.co.uk is 880 quid. With AppleCare, a medium MacBook with AppleCare costs 780 quid in America. Leaves 20 for a power cable that works in England. Perfect.

Another fan of Apple computers. MacBook is all you'll need for mostly everything, but if you do professional video or photo editing, the faster processor, larger display and dedicated video ram is going to make a big difference.

Also, it's been said that this summer Apple is releasing a new MBP with a LED backlit screen (YES!) and a processor/mobo which supports up to 4GB memory. So if you're planning on buying a MBP anytime soon, hold off until the new one is released. WWDC is coming up and they usually have a few new products to push by then.

i've used pc all my life and got real good at fixing it's problems/deficiencies.

i finally bit the bullet and bought a macbook pro and i love it. it's solid, doesn't crash, works well with all my other stuff. it also look cool and works.

it has a built-in webcam that is awesome. it's really something else.

it doesn't have a good battery life, but it's not that big a deal for me.

i've used pc all my life and got real good at fixing it's problems/deficiencies.

i finally bit the bullet and bought a macbook pro and i love it. it's solid, doesn't crash, works well with all my other stuff. it also look cool and works.

it has a built-in webcam that is awesome. it's really something else.

it doesn't have a good battery life, but it's not that big a deal for me.

same for me, i've been stuck on PC for loyalty and then my vaio went to shits and i finally said fuck it and bought a mac. it's worth the money. and the genius bar is so convenient. who's gonna fix your PC when it goes to shits? no one ;( maybe geek squad.

fuck the geek squads with thier black vw cloggin up the road!.

same for me, i've been stuck on PC for loyalty and then my vaio went to shits and i finally said fuck it and bought a mac. it's worth the money. and the genius bar is so convenient. who's gonna fix your PC when it goes to shits? no one ;( maybe geek squad.

if you really want to be a bad-ass go with linux. it will turn a regular pc into a stable, powerful workstation. but why bother? a mac is already running unix. it's got everything you need right out the box.

as for linux, you can be a super bad-ass by running it, but kernel programming is not my idea of a fun weekend.

Thanks for all the info guys..I just realised one thing. I am an engineering student and I do download pirated engineering software like Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics so there is no need for me to camp at the IT centre in the uni to get my work done! If I get a macbook, I don't think it will be possible for me to get a mac version of those pirated software. This is very important to me so I think I won't be able to get a macbook.

Any other recommendations other than macbook?

if that is your requirement, you will need to get a windows machine.

where are you located?

in the states, dell makes a decent low cost laptop. i've used several of their laptops for programming work and they work fine.

i don't like sony vaio's. i have used two of them in the past and they tended to be fragile and had hardware problems. also, i think they are a little overpriced for what you get.

ibm thinkpads are great (they are now made by a chinese company named lenovo). they are a little more expensive but very solid.